Author Topic: brake fluid window question  (Read 554 times)

drivex1

• View Profile
brake fluid window question
« on: December 17, 2020, 03:21:01 PM »
Hi fellow scooter owners,

i need help doing the preventive maintenance of my scooter

so when i check my like150, the brake fluid seems empty (the window has a yellow tint) and i dont see any fluid slushing around.
the unit is more than a year.

is the windows suppose to be clear? or is my reservoir just full to the top?
pulling the break seems the same.

*i will get a picture on this tomorrow

big blue

• View Profile
Re: brake fluid window question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 03:50:39 PM »
When you check the brake fluid the scooter should be on the center stand on level ground. The steering bar should be straight ahead and level. In the indicator window you should see a small bubble at the top of the window with fluid below. If you cannot see the bubble the reservoir may be over filled. If your brake lever feels OK then you cannot be empty.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 05:23:58 PM »
I think if your scooter is relatively new, or has never been serviced and the levers are still firm and you see no leaks - then you are looking in the window of a full brake fluid reservoir which was topped up on the Kymco assembly line.
Good brake fluid is pale amber - dark amber and/or two years old needs changing.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

drivex1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 08:31:47 AM »
yeah the brake is still good. I couldn't get the image because of the lighting
just another question about the brakes left and right handles, is the reservoir for both handle the same?

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 11:50:52 AM »
@Jeeves wrote begin this year...(quote below)
@Stig wrote a text about brake fluid..

Toping up brake fluid is only done if you have a small leak somewhere before you fix the issue.
Brake fluid should be changed every 2-4 years.

To access the brake fluid reservoirs you need to remove the forward facing plastic panel on the handlebar.
There should be 4 screws holding it on the outside and 2 on the inside. There are also plastic tabs on the inside part which need to be carfuly and gently let loose because they can easily brake if too much pressure is applied.

If you're new to this it would be better if you had someone to help you who has done it before and knows what's he's doing, or take it to a shop.

Use DOT4 brake fluid.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 03:37:24 PM »
@Jeeves wrote begin this year...(quote below)
@Stig wrote a text about brake fluid..

Toping up brake fluid is only done if you have a small leak somewhere before you fix the issue.
Brake fluid should be changed every 2-4 years.

To access the brake fluid reservoirs you need to remove the forward facing plastic panel on the handlebar.
There should be 4 screws holding it on the outside and 2 on the inside. There are also plastic tabs on the inside part which need to be carfuly and gently let loose because they can easily brake if too much pressure is applied.

If you're new to this it would be better if you had someone to help you who has done it before and knows what's he's doing, or take it to a shop.

Use DOT4 brake fluid.
See?! This is the kind and quality that belongs in the service manual! Stig and Ruffus do way better work than cyclepedia supposedly was doing!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

drivex1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 04:58:20 AM »
@ruffus
yes, i saw the guide posted by stig, and learning from YouTube. I'm kinda new to diying mechanical stuff. hence i was asking for some details.

with regards to that, i wanted to know. if scooter / motorcycle brake reservoirs are shared between the brake levers?

also do you guys have a service manual or a bom where you look it up?

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 12:09:05 PM »
@drivex1
Pls let me say afront that, working on brakes is a serious safety matter. You have to know what you do.

Scooters and motorcycles of later model years, let's say last fifty years do NOT have a common or shared brake fluid reservoir. For good reason. If the fluid would dissapear from an shared container for whatever cause, you would be all of a sudden without brakes out on the road. With known result. So two independent circuits are a MUST.

Concerning documentation and manuals: l personally rely on information from proven sources like this forum and riders who drove motorcycles and scooters for ages, own experience and sometimes l ask a workshop for certain data. But if you really want real-life info, ask here in this forum and you will be helped.

Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

drivex1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 03:17:36 AM »
@rufus,

thanks for the warning. i do take my safety on top of priority as a first time rider.

looking back at the thread, yeah i can see the two reservoir. looking back its kinda common sense that you want to separate reservoir for the reason you stated. i haven't personally taken the top cover panel so its kinda hard to know where are the stuffs located.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »

Sometimes you won't see much more than a small bubble.
If the fluid is not darker - it is considered to be OK.
Amber to light amber is good.
Your photo shows that your color and fluid level is good.
(These are photos of my LIKE200i - not the LIKE 150i)

Stig
BRAKE FLUID DIY ON A LIKE200I
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=29611.0

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 04:28:30 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()