Author Topic: Christmas Eve 'eve ride. Questions & Cat.  (Read 319 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Christmas Eve 'eve ride. Questions & Cat.
« on: December 23, 2020, 04:24:02 PM »

Rain and temps falling below freezing for a Christmas eve sunrise ride tomorrow ... so, I rode out this morning at 5:30AM, mid 20's with 15 mph winds.

I was bundled up enough - just about comfortable most everywhere - and as I rode in the dark windy night out here on these dark rural roads I began to wonder at the wisdom of it all.
Pitch dark, no real shoulders on these dark roads, miles between houses, colder'n heck, on an 8yr old scooter.

Seems like it might be about time for something to let go.
CVT and engine are healthy and well looked after - but what of the electrical bits which keep me rolling?
It would be pretty miserable to roll to a stop out here in the cold & dark!

Anyway....

Coffee was large, HOT and strong! and 4 hrs later was home and warm, in the daylight.

Trouble with long exposure shots - you get interlopers!

and the cat was back looking for breakfast (goofy thing forgets that he does no longer live at the record shop!...and never did!)
meowing up a storm!

Stig
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 04:26:32 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooter freak

• View Profile
Re: Christmas Eve 'eve ride. Questions & Cat.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 11:53:45 PM »
i belonged to the beemer crowd for years, I think you beat them. I always thought they were the die hards, I'm changing my mind

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 12:25:08 AM »
(On a 8 year old scooter) Orange is 16 years old and take it on 6 hr rides from home and back. Just not in bitter cold temperatures.  50F (10 C) is my cut off. Any colder and I take the truck.  I know people who take Cushman scooters from the 40's on long rides AND more importantly back home.  They attend rallies that are held in Lincoln Nebraska where they were originally built.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 05:05:24 AM »
Merry Christmas, all! Stig, your daily regimen keeps the scoot running. Let it set for a while lets the demons in...vintage Cushman's have cast iron industrial engines, KK. No problem!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 09:01:54 AM »
Merry Christmas, all! Stig, your daily regimen keeps the scoot running. Let it set for a while lets the demons in...vintage Cushman's have cast iron industrial engines, KK. No problem!
I'm amazed at the longevity of Kymco engines if properly maintained.  I bought a People 250 for parts for $200. as a non-runner. I was surprised when I got home and it starts and drives. It has 65,000+  kilometers on it. It would probably cost more to to rejuvenate then it's worth.  I might try anyway out of boredom some winter since it has large tires and a water cooled 250.  Then again maybe not.

Crossbolt the biggest issue Cushman owners had was getting  tires. Now Coker tire reproduce them in the correct size.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 10:22:30 AM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()