Author Topic: Riding Philosophy  (Read 957 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Riding Philosophy
« on: January 01, 2021, 11:39:25 AM »
On another forum I occasionally visit there’s a thread about petrol (gas) prices. In amongst the dozens of views was this one which I thought I’d share. It may strike a chord.

“$10 worth of gas a couple of times a week buys me the best part of my days left on the short ride called life.  Was never a "bean counter" 48 years ago when the bike was brand new and life was long.  Sure as hell not going start now.  Ride em' while you can and don't look back.  Happy New Year, all!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Lord Faversham

• Upper Class Twit of the Year
  • Farkhem Hall, Tittering, Middle England
    • View Profile
Re: Riding Philosophy
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 11:41:15 AM »
I’d go along with that. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards

Faversham

Farkhem Hall, Tittering, Middle England.

Current Wheels:
Kymco Xciting 500i
Honda CX500
Yamaha R125
Previous:
BMW RT1100
Honda RD03 Africa Twin 750
Kawasaki GPZ500s
Derbi Terra Adventure 125
Countless Lambrettas

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 12:06:08 PM »
Thank You Neil for sharing.👍
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 01:08:55 PM »
Exactly, I may have went little overboard in acquisition but the realization that  I  may not have that many more years of riding left. 

There's another old saying that's  a version of the George Bernard Shaw quote; We don't stop riding because we grow old, we grow old because we stop riding.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 01:31:51 PM »
Well said, sir! Ride on!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 06:56:18 AM »
Exactly, I may have went little overboard in acquisition but the realization that  I  may not have that many more years of riding left. 

There's another old saying that's  a version of the George Bernard Shaw quote; We don't stop riding because we grow old, we grow old because we stop riding.

My feeling as well. I had to sell my perevious motorcycle due to a continious ciatic nerve problem and at the time I thought I would never be able to ride something with handlebars again.
Within less than two weeks after the motorcycle was gone my ciatic nerve problem disappeared and I found it difficult to face life without handlebars. So I decided to get hold of a small scooter just to see how things turn out. The idea was to get a bigger scooter later if the scooter did not cause ciatic nerve problems again.
My best decission ever. The little scooter never caused any problems and I am as happy as a small fish in a large ocean. The scooter keeps me young and puts a smile on my face every day of my life. I permanently look for an excuse to jump on the scooter for a ride to a shop or wherever.

I could be wrong but I started thinking a scooter might even be safer to ride in general, compared to a motorcycle. I think specially leg and foot injuries might be less severe in case of an accident on a scooter.
Whatever the case - by times I still think about getting a cruiser type of motorcycle for longer distances but the idea of a bigger chance of getting foot or leg injuries at this age scares me off a bit. These days I just feel so much safer with my legs right next to each other on a scooter.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 11:29:46 AM »
Same issue in my case.
Due to a hip prostetic surgery l could not handle my Honda Deauville anymore. Out of reason l sold her after watching her sitting in our garage for more than a year, last August.
Also my wife, who is my family-doctor too, put strict rules on my health and recovery.
Somehow l talked/convinced her to let me try a small scooter just for fun.
As scooterfan says, it puts a big smile in my face any time l get her out for errands.
Most important, my family doctor enjoys to come with me without being forced to climb on the high seat of our ex-Honda, where she always had to step up from a curb to get on it. (we both are pretty short)
As we say "Happy Wife, Happy Life".
A very Happy New Year to All of You.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 02:34:56 PM »
scooterfan, without question I find a scooter safer to ride than a motorcycle.  No shifting, breaking much more foolproof and handling/maneuverability superior.

Too bad more people don't get to experience the "smile on my face" sensation a scooter ride provides.  There might be more scoots and fewer cars on the road.  My scoot w it's m/c style handlebars makes me feel like I'm in part Sons of Anarchy, part European movie.

I can only hope to ride long enough to wear out the scoot and m/c  (currently at 15k and 10k miles).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 02:36:49 PM by monkeybongos »
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 04:08:59 PM »
I enjoy my peculiar habit of riding out to various places just before daybreak.
So, every one of my rides begins in the dark, before sun-up. Maybe it was my work commutes on the scooter which started this....

"Peculiar" because I've never heard of anybody else who does it.
Other fav thing is riding in the dark in the rain out in the country....Kind of a zen thing. Rain 'ticking' on the face shield & helmet.....water-proofs keeping me dry and warm.

I find motorcycles to be easier, and thus safer, to ride than scooters. I feel like I have more control with a clutch and gears and larger wheels. (I found my son's Honda CBX500 to be very tractable.....as he promised - and do not remember any issues with the other Honda bikes I owned years ago)

So, why did I return to riding again with a scooter?
The attitudes to riding by my wife and 6 children had a lot to do with coming home with a scooter, rather than another Honda bike :)
Stig
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:12:53 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 06:32:47 PM »
I try to explain to my wife the feeling of joy a ride produces. All life's problems seem to fade away when you're behind the bars..the feeling of flying...the motion...it is so calming and thrilling at the same time.

Unlike many of you, I started riding much later in life. My first scoot was purchased at 49 and first motorcycle the following year at age 50.  I feel like I have to get a lot of riding in to make up for the many 'lost' years.

I also realize that future health issues (none now, thankfully, but you never know) may prevent me from riding some day so I try to enjoy every single ride I take.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 06:33:59 PM »
if I complain about anything, it TIRES, I think they otta last longer, and cost less
RandyO
IBA#9560

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 08:29:37 PM »
I try to explain to my wife the feeling of joy a ride produces. All life's problems seem to fade away when you're behind the bars..the feeling of flying...the motion...it is so calming and thrilling at the same time.

Unlike many of you, I started riding much later in life. My first scoot was purchased at 49 and first motorcycle the following year at age 50.  I feel like I have to get a lot of riding in to make up for the many 'lost' years.

I also realize that future health issues (none now, thankfully, but you never know) may prevent me from riding some day so I try to enjoy every single ride I take.
Another old saying comes to mind, (my motorcycle is my therapist)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 10:55:51 AM »
if I complain about anything, it TIRES, I think they otta last longer, and cost less
If you want to talk about value (or lack there of) how about a funeral where the cost is exorbitant for very little time. The person receiving it couldn't give a rats bum.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 06:53:27 PM »
If you want to talk about value (or lack there of) how about a funeral where the cost is exorbitant for very little time. The person receiving it couldn't give a rats bum.
You’re so right KK.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 08:20:44 PM »
You’re so right KK.

My funeral kit is in the garage: Laminated instructions for the family attached to a post hole digger, empty coffee can and Qt of lighter fluid.
@$30

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()