Author Topic: the b/bry muffin & the vespa clone  (Read 341 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
the b/bry muffin & the vespa clone
« on: January 21, 2021, 10:28:13 PM »
Still too much ice on the roads (in the tree shadows) - so I turned back in the dark this morning.
Then I rousted the college kid from bed for a drive out - with promises of:
1) ....not a peep about her driving*
2)  ...and coffee & face-sized blueberry muffin from Dino's.

It was a sunny 40? day at 'our' table.

One other thing I am required to do, afterwards, is stroll up the street to look in the dress shop window....
I spotted this 'vespa across the street. Spoke with the owner. He was hauling groceries home in the top case. He's had it for a few years (odometer no longer registering - and maybe the speedo)
His comments: "150cc's, Saved me a lot of $ in gas, had it for a few years, no idea how to fix it - but it's never needed fixing, paid $1200 all-in to have it mostly assembled and test run before they shipped it to his driveway in the village from Texas (he had to put the mirrors on)"
Looked like it had been down a time or two (L side) - but he said it's great for running around the village.
It was a fooler - then daughter pointed out that it does not say Vespa anywhere on it. Dash and color sure was a copy !

Stig

* OK, I slipped up once or twice.....

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 02:15:50 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: the b/bry muffin & the vespa clone
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 10:54:58 PM »
If you look on Craigslist most of the cheap scooters are clones of Yamaha's Honda's and Vespas with just enough changes to not violate copyright laws.

Usually the plastic is inferior and fades out as well as yellowing very quickly if left outside.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:58:01 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 11:15:20 PM »
true front forks are a dead giveaway to a fake Vespa, too...Vespas only have a suspension component on one side on the front wheel..easy way to tell at a glance
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 11:44:23 AM »
A Wangye/Sanben! At one point a very common sight on UK roads as the Lemoto Vienna WY125T-121, the Pulse Lightspeed 2 WY125T-74 and Lemoto Gladiator WY (or SB) 125T-23.

Really nicely put together actually for Chinese scooters. There were thousands and thousands sold in the UK. Import ended a few years ago as the factory had massive problems domestically and they were largely replaced by Longjia (very naice) and Znen (meh) models in this country, anyway.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 11:59:50 AM »
Most of asian motorcycles, cars and scooters are derivates of originally in Europe or US planned,  invented and built vehicles. Copy and improve is the motto, and no-one would deny reliabilty and quality of japanese, taiwanese or lately chinese products.
Here in Italy are foreign brand vehicles for several reasons ahead. Mostly (IMHO) it's a cost issue. I paid more than 30 years fools-tax to have several Mercedes in my garage.Was not better than other brand. But with a starting price of around €45.000,- for a good equipped C -model, l say thank you, no, and buy another brand. And might be the same with scooters, to get a nice Vespa 300 GTS you have to put here around €6000,- on the dealers desk. Plus screen and some niceties you have to pay extra for. Service is costly too....
So l stick to my LIKE and like it..
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 02:01:13 PM »
Most of asian motorcycles, cars and scooters are derivates of originally in Europe or US planned,  invented and built vehicles. Copy and improve is the motto, and no-one would deny reliabilty and quality of japanese, taiwanese or lately chinese products.
Here in Italy are foreign brand vehicles for several reasons ahead. Mostly (IMHO) it's a cost issue. I paid more than 30 years fools-tax to have several Mercedes in my garage.Was not better than other brand. But with a starting price of around €45.000,- for a good equipped C -model, l say thank you, no, and buy another brand. And might be the same with scooters, to get a nice Vespa 300 GTS you have to put here around €6000,- on the dealers desk. Plus screen and some niceties you have to pay extra for. Service is costly too....
So l stick to my LIKE and like it..
Ruffus I beleive that is a wise decision as well.  I even take it a step futher and purchase low milage used scooters. Vehicles are a depreciating asset.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
the b/bry muffin & the vespa clone
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 09:36:21 AM »
Ruffus I beleive that is a wise decision as well.  I even take it a step futher and purchase low milage used scooters. Vehicles are a depreciating asset.
Certainly the best option KK. I’ve bought a few (maybe 6/7) new bikes / scooters in my time, but now I’m firmly of the view that I’ll let some other mug take the initial depreciation hit for me!

(Always done that with the few cars I’ve owned in my life.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:38:04 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 01:48:28 PM »
Not with muffins.
                       I'll take the hit.
                                             I always buy new.

Major Tom

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 02:27:35 PM »
Good call Tom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()