Author Topic: How many winters on a 6Ah battery?  (Read 648 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
How many winters on a 6Ah battery?
« on: January 22, 2021, 10:50:38 PM »
This scooter has never even hinted at a "no-start", nevertheless....
This is the 4th OHIO winter of riding with this miserly little 6Ah battery - thinking I might like to put in a new one. When you're chilled and ready to go home - you want your scooter to start drama-free!
In my limited experience - EFI engines like a healthy battery!

I was asking it to start in the low 20's this morning.....

Your thoughts ?(and, yeah it get's a tender from time to time)
Stig
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:21:17 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: How any winters on a 6Ah battery?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 01:02:57 AM »
My purchased this summer 2014  Kymco Super 8 still has the original lead acid  battery in it  6 years old.  It's Carbureted not FI.  FI motors need a certain amount of voltage to start. If your scooter does ok this winter summer should not be a problem. I would definitely replace before next winter. Batteries are inexpensive.  I put 5 new AGM batteries in scooters and motorcycles this year because of age.  Next summer  I  will have all the lead acid batteries replaced.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:07:06 AM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: How many winters on a 6Ah battery?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 04:53:57 AM »
A  conventional lead acid battery at 20F (-6.7C) battery capacity drops about 20% along with the oil being thicker.  If you get to -22F (-33C) battery capacity drops by 50%.

Funny story- My Aunt lived in Northern Canada and worked for a hospital.  She had a garage she parked her car in that was unheated. She had a battery heater, a dipstick oil heater and a antifreeze hose heater. The temperature got down to -60F (-51C) and she had to go to work. The car engine fired right up but the gear oil was so thick it wouldn't move .  She called a cab and had the car towed to a heated garage to warm up.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:40:12 PM by Kansas kymco »

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 11:36:29 AM »
@KK thanks for  battery techs.
@Stig,
concerning battery. I wanted to do my Like and me something good and replaced last november this standard 8 A AGM lead battery with an lithium accu.
Starts fine up with it (lithium) if there are temperatures above 10°C. Below this temps it tends to turn the motor a little bit hesitantely. I also recognized a very short but sensable retard from pressing the start button and cranking of my Likes starter motor.
I, just for me, would not buy an Lithium accu anymore. Would stick to an easy availalable lead AGM battery. There where and are some warnings in different forums about Lithium accus and deeper temperatures.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 03:41:59 PM »
@KK thanks for  battery techs.
@Stig,
concerning battery. I wanted to do my Like and me something good and replaced last november this standard 8 A AGM lead battery with an lithium accu.
Starts fine up with it (lithium) if there are temperatures above 10°C. Below this temps it tends to turn the motor a little bit hesitantely. I also recognized a very short but sensable retard from pressing the start button and cranking of my Likes starter motor.
I, just for me, would not buy an Lithium accu anymore. Would stick to an easy availalable lead AGM battery. There where and are some warnings in different forums about Lithium accus and deeper temperatures.
Lithium  batteries do poorly in extreme cold.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
How many winters on a 6Ah battery?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 10:23:11 AM »
Change it Tom, if only for the peace of mind. I always bin mine at 5 years and  I’m not 35 miles from home at daft o’clock!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 03:32:31 PM »
Second winter, if seller was honest, to basic cheap battery 6 AH. Works fine with no need to charge, driving one hour two times a month during wintertime.
Was two week heavy winter, got warmed few days ago, between -7 to -21 c.
Moved scooter to warm +15 c garage for 24 hours to warm. Then starting in max. 10 second periods, and after five? times, when carburator got filled enough, easy nice start from button, kick is broken somehow.
I was quite sure that battery will die before fires up, but luckily no. They sell new ones from 25 to 90 €, so the prices are affordable when needed.
Seeking used Kymco moped scooter

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 04:55:03 PM »
A  conventional lead acid battery at 20F (-6.7C) battery capacity drops about 20% along with the oil being thicker.  If you get to -22F (-33C) battery capacity drops by 50%.

Funny story- My Aunt lived in Northern Canada and worked for a hospital.  She had a garage she parked her car in that was unheated. She had a battery heater, a dipstick oil heater and a antifreeze hose heater. The temperature got down to -60F (-51C) and she had to go to work. The car engine fired right up but the gear oil was so thick it wouldn't move .  She called a cab and had the car towed to a heated garage to warm up.
I had the gear oil changed to Red Line gear oil in my VW Bus - made a world of difference in the shifting after sitting outside in cold N. England nights heading home from work at the hospital. Before the change - on below 0 nights the stick would move - but it wasn't happy doing so.

(this also may have been where I got so used to frosty travelling :)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 05:13:20 PM »
Change it Tom, if only for the peace of mind. I always bin mine at 5 years and  I’m not 35 miles from home at daft o’clock!

Yeah, think I'm going to....
A no start miles from home in my coffee village would be manageable - but awkward during these covid days. Dino has a lockable rear patio area - but his restroom is "frightening" (wife's words)  :) although my daughter thinks it is c o o l.

Pre-covid warming with a coffee in Dinos..

I never shut off my scooter when I'm taking photos out along the streets or roads. A lit scooter is more appealing in the dark (and even in the daylight if you set the brake lever with a broccoli band)

Will see about a new YUASA at my dealer when they open Tues.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 05:26:16 PM »
I had the gear oil changed to Red Line gear oil in my VW Bus - made a world of difference in the shifting after sitting outside in cold N. England nights heading home from work at the hospital. Before the change - on below 0 nights the stick would move - but it wasn't happy doing so.

(this also may have been where I got so used to frosty travelling :)
Stig
Actually it was a automatic but the rear differential is what would not allow it to move despite gas pedal to the floor.  It was a 66 Chevy Nova with a small 6 cylinder if I recall correctly.   Synthetic gear oil performs so much better in cold/hot conditions with better protection.  Most people took cabs which ran 24 hrs a day and we're always warm since they were never shut off of a winter.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 09:05:08 PM »
Bike/scooter batteries, I change/buy new every 2 or 3 years----scooters no kick start/push start good battery nice to have---my stuff in daily use so do not have to have trickle charger.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 08:43:18 AM »
Good call Tom and Yuasa have always served me well!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()