Author Topic: Shopping for an AK 550 - Update  (Read 1306 times)

WEL

• View Profile
Shopping for an AK 550 - Update
« on: January 27, 2021, 05:10:27 PM »
Update: Picked up the AK 550 this weekend. Ridden about 130 miles so far. All types of roads (urban streets, canyon and freeway). Pretty much what I expected from all the reviews. Plenty of power, great brakes and comfortable seating.

Thank you all for your comments.

I have been shopping for an AK 550 in Southern California and wanted to provide some observations about the shopping experience. Bear in mind the closest Kymco dealers to my home are 50 plus miles away.

The three dealers I spoke are asking between $650 and $2150 ADM. That doesn't include setup about another $350. Dealers can ask whatever they want and we can choose to buy or not. Kymco makes great products, however asking prices well above MSRP is not going to help the brand grow in the US. I'm not an expert, but if AK 550 sales are too weak Kymco may not continue to offer AK 550 in the US.

With that being said...I'm curious if anyone on this forum has purchased the AK in the US and how close + or - to MSRP have you paid.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 05:07:18 AM by WEL »
KYMCO
2021 AK 550

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Shopping for an AF 550 - Comments
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 06:36:18 PM »
You might look on cycle trader several dealers are advertising for $6999. plus fees and tax.  California is the same way on RV'S  not willing to deal.

As far as sales  go it depends what happens with fuel prices with the current administration.  In the midwest motorcycle  and RV sales are strong with a lot of dealers running out of inventory.  This also might be why California dealers are unwilling to deal, supply and demand.  Try to buy a new Corvette for sticker price.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: Shopping for an AK 550 - Comments
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 08:22:17 PM »
They are asking too much money, period----if you need/want large displacement scooter, look for Yamaha TMAX or Suzuki Burgman 650 or Honda SilverWing 600.

WEL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 08:26:27 PM »
They are asking too much money, period----if you need/want large displacement scooter, look for Yamaha TMAX or Suzuki Burgman 650 or Honda SilverWing 600.

I assume you mean used since none of the models mentioned are available new in the US.
KYMCO
2021 AK 550

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 09:41:15 PM »

Selling an "off-brand" scooter in the USA - which has limited dealerships and limited support, for $2000 more than a new 2021 Honda CB500X ABS is ....interesting.

Maybe it does have the appeal to pull it off - even without a lick of advertising. A few anyway - like the white 700's.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 09:54:51 PM »
Selling an "off-brand" scooter in the USA - which has limited dealerships and limited support, for $2000 more than a new 2021 Honda CB500X ABS is ....interesting.

Maybe it does have the appeal to pull it off - even without a lick of advertising. A few anyway - like the white 700's.

Stig
If not you will see them at a large discount next year to get rid of inventory.  I'm personally leary of models like the limited number of 700i's for parts availability. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

WEL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 11:04:21 PM »

I agree with you.  That's why I was so surprised that dealers expect to sell for MSRP, let alone adding huge markups.

Stig
KYMCO
2021 AK 550

WEL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 11:13:47 PM »
If not you will see them at a large discount next year to get rid of inventory.  I'm personally leary of models like the limited number of 700i's for parts availability.

All the comments so far are right in line with what I was thinking.

I received 2 quotes today at slightly below MSRP, but it is a lot of money for something I have to go 60 miles to get serviced under warranty and parts may be hard to find in the US.
KYMCO
2021 AK 550

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 01:50:14 AM »

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 08:34:03 AM »
It’s a handsome beast for sure, but overpriced here in the UK too.  Now maybe if I could pick up a low mileage year-old minter?...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

WEL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 06:05:34 PM »
We only have a matte silver and a grey glossy color option over here. I was told that BMW stopped selling the C650 in the US. So I think the AK 550 is largest displacement scooter available in the US now.

Seems like sales have been good here during Covid. There should be some low mileage used bikes for sale in a year or so flooding the market. A lot of people buy and don't get the "Easy Rider" joy they were expecting.
KYMCO
2021 AK 550

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 08:04:03 PM »
Your "ADM" (Added Dealer Mark-up) is not really an additional mark up, most dealers quote MSRP plus Destination (Freight) plus Set-up/PDI plus the mandatory Tax, DMV and Doc fee. That said, some dealers will add a bit and make a profit on the destination/freight. If a dealer only charged msrp plus tax/license he would make minimal profit due to the fact that he would have to absorb the destination/freight and what he paid the service dept for the uncrate, assembly and PDI. I would ask the dealers for an itemized quote. Then you can put your negotiating skills to work.
Good Luck
CJS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 11:43:29 PM »
I think we all undertand the "fees" portion of the out the door price. But then sometimes there is a dealer mark-up. Happens when demand outstrips the supply.
Seen it more than a few times. First time was the $1000.00 mark up on the Honda Accord,  when first released.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 02:12:39 PM »
I think we all undertand the "fees" portion of the out the door price. But then sometimes there is a dealer mark-up. Happens when demand outstrips the supply.
Seen it more than a few times. First time was the $1000.00 mark up on the Honda Accord,  when first released.
Stig

It's always hard to justify buying "new" models, for this exact reason. I think the Ford Bronco is really cool. And not that I was actually planning to buy one, but do you really think anyone is going to get a great deal on one when they finally arrive in showrooms this summer? Not a chance! Best to wait a couple years on a lot of these cool toys if you're looking for reasonable pricing. Let the folks who just have to be the first kid on the block to have (insert your dream machine here) pay the premiums. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I enjoy the deal almost as much as I do the purchase. If you've got the money and want it, who am I to tell you what to buy, or not buy? You really can't take it with you.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 03:06:40 PM »
If you've got the money and want it, who am I to tell you what to buy, or not buy? You really can't take it with you.

Not a bad maxim by which to live!  For all that, like you, even if I were a lottery winner, I'd still want the enjoyment of negotiating a discount  :D
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()