Author Topic: Lost weight (to smile)  (Read 953 times)

Ruffus

• View Profile
Lost weight (to smile)
« on: January 30, 2021, 07:20:15 PM »
No no, not what you think.
I'm still the same.
BUT, all of a sudden my pride and joy (Like 200i) started bucking. Not really like a mustang but its front wheel had tendency to liberalism, which was stated by a rather uncivilized behavior.

Okay, stopped and got on my knees in front of my dear ride, and, there was no balancing weight on its rim anymore. Check and doublecheck, nothing.

Well, for it was already close to 5.00 p.m. l just asked for an next days appointment at my favorite scooter workshop.
Grace was granted and l should be there about 9:30 a.m.
Went home, put her on he scooter lift...
wheel out ....
Next morning 0930 sharp l showed up by bycicle with my scoots frontwheel carrying.

The mechanic put his forehead in folds and told me: "This scoot has an axle diameter of 12mm, and our balancers axle has 14mm, so l won't be able to balance it".
"But you know what, l'll give you a bar of sticky weights and you balance your wheel at home".

This was exactely what l (not) wanted to hear.
Since there was/is no other scooter shop in bycicle ride distance, l took off home.

Set up sawhorses, check weight and counterweight, and finally did a test-ride which was incredible smooth, nearly gliding.
Like l wrote in the header, this should just make you laugh or smile.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Lost weight (to smile)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 09:10:49 PM »
I've had 3 different tires on the front of my LIKE200iLX, including the cheap orig. Kenda - none of them were balanced and never had the issue you describe with your front end.
Poorly cast rim on your LIKE?, or?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 04:20:00 AM »
Ruffus, nice work doing your own balancing!

Stig, I have heard of non balanced tires causing no problems..but I don't think I'd like to try my luck. My front tire, when replaced, was balanced at the motorcycle shop with a number of little weights. That tells me I'd get a little extra shaking at speed if not balanced.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 09:24:21 AM »
Yep, my tyre guy always balances mine too. Nice work Ruffus, was it trial & error or a bit more scientific for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 11:02:04 AM »
@Stig,
.hmmh..don't really know, for the tire is a HEIDENAU, so it could be as you said, this cast rim, which l got from this motorwrecked LIKE 125s.
@Neil,
yes, it was trial and error for me. I did know theoretically how to do it but out of lazyness never did balancing on my own. Was fun and finally worked out.
This is the great thing of being retired, it does not matter whether it takes you 15 minutes or 150 minutes to finish a certain challenge.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »
@Stig,
.hmmh..don't really know, for the tire is a HEIDENAU, so it could be as you said, this cast rim, which l got from this motorwrecked LIKE 125s.
@Neil,
yes, it was trial and error for me. I did know theoretically how to do it but out of lazyness never did balancing on my own. Was fun and finally worked out.
This is the great thing of being retired, it does not matter whether it takes you 15 minutes or 150 minutes to finish a certain challenge.
Retirement, wish I’d had it in my 30’s!

Only kidding, I enjoyed the vast majority of my working life and retirement feels earned after 40+ years of graft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 12:19:49 PM »
Ruffus, nice work doing your own balancing!

Stig, I have heard of non balanced tires causing no problems..but I don't think I'd like to try my luck. My front tire, when replaced, was balanced at the motorcycle shop with a number of little weights. That tells me I'd get a little extra shaking at speed if not balanced.
I would like to hear from anyone who has found wheel weights on their new scooter.
I've had a new Honda Forza, Suzuki Burgman, Kymco LIKE and a Piaggio....and none of them have come with any wheel weights on them.
Obviously (static) home balancing isn't too accurate - so I guess I'd go with the beads in the tires if I was very concerned.

Just sayin'

Stig
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 12:23:24 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 01:00:49 PM »
@Stig,
yes, makes me think. I also never saw weights on brandnew motorcycles. Could be the more precise rotating and mounting at the factory.
Like John mentioned several times, those beads, which are not so common here, might be a solution to go too.

FJTRoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 01:16:16 PM »
Obviously (static) home balancing isn't too accurate - so I guess I'd go with the beads in the tires if I was very concerned.

???? yes, Static balancing is very accurate!   I can't say I've ever even noticed a difference vs. dynamic balancing. If your wheel bearings are good you can balance down to +/- 5 grams & don't even need a balancing stand for the front wheels. Of course, you must use a stand to balance the solid rear wheel

.. but of course you have to know what the hell you're doing ;D
86FJ1200
07Burgman650
15Downtown300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 01:43:00 PM »
.. but of course you have to know what the hell you're doing ;D
and as that old scooter riding kid from the wrong side of the cart path in Stratford-upon-Avon, Bill Shakespeare, used to say ...."ay--- there's the rub!"

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 01:43:44 PM »
@FJTRoy,
think l might just for fun balance my rear wheel too, next time its off for some reason.
And yes, l do believe too, static (home) balancing, gives a good result.
As you stated, if you know what you do and your wheel bearings and brake discs are in order.

Neil955i

• View Profile
Lost weight (to smile)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 02:26:11 PM »
Apropos nothing at all to do with scooters, I had new tyres fitted to the wife’s Range Rover recently and was told while balancing one wheel that it was buckled!

Says something about the state of our pot-holed roads [emoji853]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 02:36:26 PM »
Apropos nothing at all to do with scooters, I had new tyres fitted to the wife’s Range Rover recently and was told while balancing one wheel that it was buckled!

Says something about the state of our pot-holed roads [emoji853]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When paved roads are damaging a 'Rover.....
I'd email the Queen! She needs to know that her Rover mates are suffering.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

FJTRoy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 02:39:43 PM »
l might just for fun balance my rear wheel too, next time its off

right on...  remember, there are no bearings in the rear wheel. so you WILL need a balancing stand.

I have one of these... love it.  usually about $40

*it is possible to get a smaller axle shaft (like 10mm)  w/cones for use on smaller wheels/bearings
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:53:38 PM by FJTRoy »
86FJ1200
07Burgman650
15Downtown300i

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 07:05:54 PM »
@FJTRoy
[..right on...  remember, there are no bearings in the rear wheel. so you WILL need a balancing stand]

...thanks, will keep that in mind.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()