Author Topic: Big Snow  (Read 1903 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Big Snow
« on: February 02, 2021, 04:04:52 PM »
Well, my area of Pennsylvania got absolutely hammered with snow yesterday. All told, we ended up with about 27 or 28 inches. Thank God I bought a KFI plow kit for this machine last winter. I used to dread snow storms like this; now they are actually kind of fun. Plowing is hard on equipment though. The machine doesn't seem to mind it too much, but it definitely puts a lot of work on the winch. Earlier this winter, my winch rope broke while plowing; no big deal, I just cut off the worn section and re-tied it. And this morning, the nylon tow strap that connects to the frame and allows you to attach your winch hook snapped. To be honest, the strap that came with the plow kit wasn't super heavy duty. Fortunately, I had some much beefier straps in my vehicle so was able to just walk over and get one. I'm betting the one I installed today will last much longer.

2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Big Snow
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 09:29:09 PM »
the nylon tow strap that connects to the frame and allows you to attach your winch hook

???, my winch hook grabs a steel eye welded to the frame, I have a Moose plow setup

storm tracked northwesterly from original prediction, we only got 6" instead of 24 predicted, Vermont is getting pounded
RandyO
IBA#9560

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 11:02:06 PM »
???, my winch hook grabs a steel eye welded to the frame, I have a Moose plow setup

storm tracked northwesterly from original prediction, we only got 6" instead of 24 predicted, Vermont is getting pounded

Interesting. The KFI plow kit just came with a nylon webbing strap that loops around through itself on one of the cross bars on the frame behind the grille. Works fine, as long as the webbing holds. Like I said, today it just ripped apart while plowing. Not sure what the rating on the strap was, but it was not as heavy duty as the one I replaced it with. The one I have on there now is a 5,000-pound working load strap. So, I don't think I'll have that problem again.

Sounds like Vermont is getting about what we saw here. I grew up in Rhode Island, so I'm familiar with New England winters. Closer to the coast where I grew up was hit or miss. Being so close to the ocean, you pick up a lot of moisture, but it can also keep snow totals down. Just depends on the storm track. We had some doozies in my day. I still remember the Blizzard of '78. I was 5, and the snow was over my head. I have three older sisters, and when we went outside after the storm, they say I stepped off the deck and just disappeared! I don't remember that, but apparently mom was not too happy. I do remember we were out of power for about a week, and Dad got his camping stove out and we cooked on Sterno in the kitchen. Those were the days...
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 01:55:14 AM »
ya, blizard of 78, I lived in Wolfeboro, NH, just a little further away from coast, we only got 2 feet, but we all ready had 4+ ft of snow cover, blizzard was straw that broke camels back, for surveying that winter, by time we dug holes to ground, tripod wasn't tall enuf for transit to see out of hole, I lived in 2nd floor apt, and could step off my deck onto snow.

blizzard of 93. we got 40"
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 05:26:27 PM »
Gotta agree with you, as much as I hate cold, playing in the snow makes it enjoyable!!  Glad you could solve your issue, but my plow has a steel ring to attach the winch hook to also. If you spend time outdoors in the cold on your machine, you might want to consider a soft side enclosure.  I have the one from Pacific Eagle, keeps that cold blast of air off, so much more comfort, keeps heat from engine trapped inside.  Been out in 0 degree cold and was comfortable with my mini propane golf cart heater. The enclosure goes on or off in an hour or so after initial install.  Held on with strong 2" wide commercial velcro. We only got about 8" but gave me a couple days of fun in the snow!  Supposed to have more comming.....cant wait !!

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 06:56:15 PM »
we got another 3"  flurry at the end of the storm, after I plowed, went out again today and cleaned up, and finished the areas I didn't do yesterday. With the Trygg chains I have, my 450i is a tank
RandyO
IBA#9560

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 03:31:37 PM »
we got another 3"  flurry at the end of the storm, after I plowed, went out again today and cleaned up, and finished the areas I didn't do yesterday. With the Trygg chains I have, my 450i is a tank

I imagine it is! I am pretty impressed with how well my machine does in the snow without chains, just using the 4WD Lock. I mentioned to my wife the other day, if I got chains for this thing, it would be unstoppable. Or virtually so.

As for the cab enclosure, I don't really have much interest in adding one. The windshield and roof do a pretty good job of keeping me protected in the cab, certainly enough to keep me comfortable while plowing. I'm not a big fan of the cold, so I don't really do a lot of joy riding in the winter. Spring will be here soon!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 04:01:46 PM »
I don't even have windshield, or roof, but I have got smart enuf, to cover my utv with a tarp, it was nice to not have to shove snow out of the utv abd have a floor clear of snow & ice

I have a windshield a frind gave me, from a CanAm, I'm gonn make it fit
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 04:51:38 PM »
Cant Imagine my machine sitting outside in this snow...yep, at least a tarp.  You should be able to make a windshield, I made my own folding windshield.  You can but rubber lined SS strap clamps from Amazon and even some hardware places.   They go around the roll cage and keep the windshield in place.  Fairly cheap...  You might consider making a roof as well, that lexan stuff is easy to work with. Just dont use " plexiglass" that stuff will/can shatter while cutting it, where "polycarbonate" (lexan) will not crack or shatter.  I held my plastic up against the front roll cage and traced around it with a marker then cut it.  Kept 12" for the lower half and the rest is the folding upper.  Add a nice piano hing, I screwed mine right to the plastic, btm section has 4 clamps and top section has 2 clamps near top with a threaded stud sticking out to use a couple big plastic nuts to keep it in place.  Just be sure to squirt it hard with water first when cleaning, then a silicone sqeege to wipe away excess water.  Mine is over 3 yrs old and still clear, only scratches is from tree branches. Easy enough to trace over and replace when the time comes. Good luck....

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 06:30:32 PM »
I'm gonna start by making a paper template of the dash profile, and cutting that out, to let it rest more tightly

The Can Am shield I have, is larger in all dimensions, so I can trim it to size
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 06:32:05 PM by randyo »
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 09:09:19 PM »
Yep, that is what I did, only I used cardboard.  The extra rigidity made the job much easier. There are a number of rubber gasket styles the fit the edges of the plastic to cushion where it sits on the dash.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 10:57:57 PM »
All that snow and only one (1) picture?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

dlongo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 01:22:34 AM »
Are you having any trouble with the KFI mount bending? I am speaking of the tab where the plow attaches to the machine.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 04:44:54 AM »
If your having an issue, I woukd contact KFI, they appear to be a reputable company and should be able to resolve any issue. Olease keep us posted

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 07:04:17 PM »
Well 12 plus inches here in NW ohio, overnite, the bad part was 30-35mph winds causing drifts of 3 plus to 4 ft high drifts !!  Way to much snow for the 450i to push...had to get out the big snow blower to knock them down.  Once I got rhe worst of the drifts knocked down, spent a fun hour plowing and smoothing out my gravel drive, calling for minus 8 degrees tonite, couldnt let a rough drive freeze into a solid ice cube...Snow is fun but it would be nice to get a few inches at a time rather than get dumped on all at once.....I know...quit complaining, at least I am getting to play !!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()