Author Topic: Finally figured scooters out  (Read 1147 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Finally figured scooters out
« on: February 04, 2021, 03:41:51 PM »
After four 2 stroke Vespas ---125cc, 150 and 200cc, on 11th Maxiscooter since 1990 and over 400,000 miles with them----have figured out how to enjoy them===go slow, they were originally designed to be slow/low displacement vehicles and work well at that, my 2 125 /vespas were fine, slow and not bothered by the air, 200 Vespa bothered by wind gusts/truck drafts at around 60 mph---I think maybe small wheels and maybe air lift provided by flat underside, may make scooters real handfull at higher speeds-----150 Vespa fine at 55mph---Daelimn 125 fine at 50 mph-  Had 2 Honda SilverWing 600's, still scooter on highway and 2 new Suzuki Burgman 400's---same as SilverWing on highway. 

My Kymco XTown 300i, not the greatest at high road speed---slow=ok.

Just some thoughts.  Scooter not really good sub for real motorcycle....unless you like the dry feet thing like I do.....and all of my two stroke Vespas went well in snow...and didn't require belt changes every 8,000 miles!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Finally figured scooters out
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 03:55:34 PM »
Well, don't know about the whole thesis here - but I do prefer to ride my scooters below 40mph.
I unloaded the two which could do highway work - and have not regretted it.
If someone would make a longer wheelbase 300 motorcycle - I might eventually look at one, and ride it the same as I do my scooters now. The 300's I've sat are too cramped for my 6'3".

Yep, slow gets my vote.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 04:04:41 PM »
Love my Like 150i ABS at 40 - 45 mph - but wish it had larger wheels.
Like 150i ABS

Lord Faversham

• Upper Class Twit of the Year
  • Farkhem Hall, Tittering, Middle England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 04:59:26 PM »
After messing around with classic scoots back in the day and even racing/sprinting them, I’d agree with what you say about classics for daily use. However my xciting 500 is as comfy as my old BMW RT and sits quite happily at motorway speeds+.

For Smaller scoots slower is generally better but the big maxis whilst perhaps not a full substitute for a big bike, do pretty well if you ride legally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards

Faversham

Farkhem Hall, Tittering, Middle England.

Current Wheels:
Kymco Xciting 500i
Honda CX500
Yamaha R125
Previous:
BMW RT1100
Honda RD03 Africa Twin 750
Kawasaki GPZ500s
Derbi Terra Adventure 125
Countless Lambrettas

flying old guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 06:08:29 PM »
I usually just read on the forum but I love this subject. I've riding 56 years as of this summer. I live up in Maine and have family down in New York along the Hudson river across from West Point NY. For many years I have made solo trips to visit. The bikes have been varied but mostly in the 900 size as I'm not a large person so this size bike worked for me. About 10 years ago I gave up motorcycles and started riding scooters. I have made the trip 7 times on scooters. First was a 650 Burgman. Nice scoot, fast and comfortable but very heavy. Next 4 trips were on 400 Burgmans. Perfect bike to travel. Highway speeds at 75mph for the 7 hour trip was great. Then made the trip on a Yamaha Majesty 400. Another very enjoyable ride pretty much the same as the Burgman. The last trip in 2019 was on a Honda Reflex 250. Now this scoot did a pretty good job even though it did struggle a bit to hold 70mph for most of the trip. I have never worried about Highway travel, just keep your eyes open and enjoy. So now I have downsized again to a smaller scoot. 2012 Kymco Yager 200i and have found another route to New York with less Interstate riding but will add about 3 hours of travel time. At this time I'm really considering it. The Yager has 2700 miles. Just something I'm thinking about. I have never thought of a scooter not being up to the task. Ernie

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Finally figured scooters out
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 10:14:46 AM »
M’Lord & Ernie, you’re both right in my humble opinion. Accept your ride for what it is and ride within its parameters and you won’t go far wrong.

Now having said all that, I’m not averse to “pushing the envelope” on my XT and treating it more like the Triumph!  And d’you know what? On those occasions, it acquits itself surprisingly well. Especially now it’s Michelin-shod!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 10:48:51 AM »
M’Lord & Ernie, you’re both right in my humble opinion. Accept your ride for what it is and ride within its parameters and you won’t go far wrong.

Now having said all that, I’m not averse to “pushing the envelope” on my XT and treating it more like the Triumph!  And d’you know what? On those occasions, it acquits itself surprisingly well. Especially now it’s Michelin-shod!

I was a sportbike rider when I was younger and I'm still a sportbike rider at heart now that I'm old(er).  I like the feeling of going fast.  With a small scooter I can get that feeling of going fast without actually going that fast.  My favorite type of ride is still pushing the envelope a bit on a super twisty road.  I can also enjoy taking it easy and enjoying the scenery but if the road is twisty I will end up pushing it. 

Back when I lived In SoCal I rarely went on a day ride without hitting triple digit speeds.  These days I rarely go over 80 but then the roads I really like tend to limit speeds to much less than that because of all the curves.  Also, my smallest scooter and smallest motorcycle both have tops speeds under 80.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 11:05:15 AM »
Klav, eloquently put. My kind of ride.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

FJTRoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 01:47:53 AM »
  I like the feeling of going fast.  rarely go over 80

Right on, I like to find that perfect pace on any given road.  gosh.  sounds like we all need to meet up at Cherokee and ride up & down the BRP to Mt Pisgah and back all day :) ...or the Cherohala.
86FJ1200
07Burgman650
15Downtown300i

Lord Faversham

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 11:15:37 AM »

Ah.  Those Michelin’s. I wouldn’t have anything else! They make for having a flick about through the twisties so much more enjoyable.

Regards

Faversham

Current Wheels:
Kymco Xciting 500i
Honda CX500
Yamaha R125
Previous:
BMW RT1100
Kawasaki GPZ500s
Countless Lambrettas

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 02:59:52 AM »
Right on, I like to find that perfect pace on any given road.  gosh.  sounds like we all need to meet up at Cherokee and ride up & down the BRP to Mt Pisgah and back all day :) ...or the Cherohala.

I like the BRP and the Cherohala but I prefer much twistier roads.  The last two years I have set up a scooter rally In Maggie Valley and we have ridden the BRP and a bunch of other roads in that area.  We'll we doing it again this year, probably in August.  I'll post up details once I have set exact dates.

Here's what the rally was like last year:  https://advrider.com/f/threads/full-throttle-touring-150-through-the-rocket-city.647784/page-173#post-40608466
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 09:34:18 AM »
Ah.  Those Michelin’s. I wouldn’t have anything else! They make for having a flick about through the twisties so much more enjoyable.

Don’t they ever. Roll on Spring!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 12:05:15 PM »
@klaviator,
thank you so much for this great report of your last years scooter rally. It seems people and rides were gorgeous. Savoured every sequence of it.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 12:23:13 PM »
Takes awesome photos doesn’t he?

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Lord Faversham

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 02:41:15 PM »
Don’t they ever. Roll on Spring!

Indeed Neil, if of course those in Westminster ever allow us to exercise our fundamental human rights again.

Politics aside (never a good subject for fora I feel), let’s think positive and hope that we can get out and about again soon.

Regards

Faversham

Current Wheels:
Kymco Xciting 500i
Honda CX500
Yamaha R125
Previous:
BMW RT1100
Kawasaki GPZ500s
Countless Lambrettas

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()