Author Topic: Using Non-Kymco Branded Oil Filter  (Read 679 times)

WEL

• View Profile
Using Non-Kymco Branded Oil Filter
« on: February 08, 2021, 05:23:38 AM »
Purchased an AK 550 this weekend. The service manual shows first oil change at 180 miles/300 Kilometers. I plan to change the oil myself or possibly a local no-Kymco shop.

I did some research on the Oil Filter and discovered that there is a BMW oil filter that is identical (At least according to HIFLOFILTRO catalogue and a few other online sources).

I was thinking I'll buy the BMW version. Any thoughts why that would not be a good idea?

Thanks
KYMCO
2021 AK 550

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: Using Non-Kymco Branded Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 07:02:06 AM »
Should not hurt anything---if right fit from chart.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 04:09:12 PM »
If I just paid what you have paid for the top-of-the-line Kymco AK550 - I'd be using OEM Kymco filters.
But, I've seen the same question pop up on the Burgman forum regarding the 650's which OTD'd for $13,500+.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 04:25:15 PM »
It is like any serious business deal. You are the designated "purchasing agent" for your "company." You supply the parts for your "company's" operation. But also, you are technically tuned to avoid substandard parts just because they are cheap.

My initial evaluation of Hiflow Filtro products was they are IDENTICAL to Kymco filters, Genuine Buddy filters and probably supply to Kymco. I have used them in every scoot that required a filter or cartridge since 2009 and have had zero problems.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

WEL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 08:44:59 PM »
If I just paid what you have paid for the top-of-the-line Kymco AK550 - I'd be using OEM Kymco filters.
But, I've seen the same question pop up on the Burgman forum regarding the 650's which OTD'd for $13,500+.
Stig

Just easier to get the BMW filter if I decide not get the oil changed at the Kymco dealer. I wouldn't think the BMW filter is inferior to the Kymco branded filter. The BMW filter is used for some of the R1200s and the C650 and a few other models.
 I know people that use the HIFLO filters and I have not heard of any issues. However, I prefer to use OEM branded filters. I had a Piaggio BV500 serviced at the Piaggio dealer and they used HIFLO. I think at that time Piaggio filters weren't readily available in the US.

KYMCO
2021 AK 550

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 10:09:27 AM »
Like you, I can't imagine an OEM BMW filter would be any less effective than the Kymco one.  The only thing I'd check first over here (UK) is, "would its use invalidate my warranty?"...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 06:09:41 PM »
Open a Kymco OEM filter box and you will find a Hy-Flo filter

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()