Author Topic: UXV 700i won't start -- wrench symbol on display  (Read 1379 times)

KPryor

• View Profile
UXV 700i won't start -- wrench symbol on display
« on: February 16, 2021, 05:42:26 PM »
Hello all,
I have a 2016 UXV 700i (pretty sure it's 2016) and it's been great...up to now. My wife went to start it a few days ago and she said it started, but it went to full rev like the throttle was wide open. She immediately shut it off. I tried to start it today and the engine turns over, but there is no "spark" to it. It just turns and turns until I quit trying and never starts. The wrench icon is showing on the display, but I've found very little information to say what that means exactly. We're having extremely cold temps here lately and I didn't know if that could have anything to do with it. I am definitely not a mechanic. I'm wondering if anyone here might have an idea of what the problem may be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ken

airshot

• View Profile
Re: UXV 700i won't start -- wrench symbol on display
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 06:56:29 PM »
I have the 450i model, but I know they both use the all electronic ignition system.  You mentioned extreme cold....these electronic systems require lots of battery power to get them to fire.  From what I have read, your battery nay be low enough to not fire rhe ignition even though it turns the engine over!!  I started using a battery tender on mine after its first winter (2015)  and have had no issues.  If you search there have been a couple other similiar issues posted on here, and the low battery was a popular remedy.  Good luck, keep us posted...

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 07:29:06 PM »
I had an issue on my 450 where it wouldn't start recently. Engine would crank, but no ignition. Checked the spark plug and it was making spark, but when I took it to my dealer, they changed the plug and it fired right up with the new one. Problem solved. Apparently, there is an issue with plugs on these machines being fouled, and even though they still spark, it might not be right when screwed into the engine. So, before you go too far down the road, I'd try a $5 spark plug (should be able to get one at any local auto parts store) and see if that doesn't solve your problem. Especially if you have not changed your plug, ever, or in a long time, this or battery level are the most likely culprits.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

KPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 07:34:39 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! Pretty sure my battery is in good shape. It's pretty new and I did put it on the charger for a while to make sure it was up. I'll definitely try the spark plug idea and see how it goes. Currently snowed in, so it'll be a few days before I get a chance to get one. I'll let you all know how it goes. Again, thank you!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()