Author Topic: Turns over but won't start  (Read 5216 times)

bonemouth

• View Profile
Turns over but won't start
« on: February 28, 2021, 05:06:25 AM »
Hi, I just  bought a 2013 Like 200i that turns over just fine but won't start. It's probably been sitting for years. The spark plug looks new and fires, and the gas and tank was clean, but I got the fuel out and replaced with fresh 100% gas anyway. The red light on the gauge cluster shines for two seconds and goes off, which should mean no codes, right?

The fuel pump works for 10 or so seconds after turning to "ON" and will pump a stead stream of gas. The killswitch is set to "ON" (which I believe is the icon without the "X"). What else could I try? The spark plug is NOT wet when I remove it after trying to crank, so I have to assume fuel isn't getting into the cylinder, but is there any sort of relay or safety function that could be preventing starting?

I don't have a scooter battery, so I'm trying to crank it with jumper cables from a running car, with the positive on the scooter positive terminal and the negative on the scooter frame. Shouldn't this be fine and provide plenty voltage? It seems to have plenty starting power.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:17:29 AM by bonemouth »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Turns over but won't start
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:39:13 AM »
Your injector is probably plugged up. You may want to pull it out and see if it squirts while cranking. Take it to a shop that cleans them if it doesn't. You can clean it if you want to. Instructions available on this forum!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 12:44:23 PM »
I'm no electrician  - but was always told never to jump a scooter or motorcycle from a RUNNING car.
This could very well be another "sitting for years" LIKE with a rotted fuel line inside the tank.
Yes, check for fuel at the injector after buying a scooter battery.

Stig
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:50:17 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 08:23:06 PM »
If the fuel is being delivered TO the injector, then line isn't rotted in the tank. If fuel is not coming OUT of the injector - then $60 for used (ebay) or $75 new injector might be your best bet. You can try a soak or spray to clean the injector - or if in a big city - someone to professionally clean the injector.

Not likely that the 'brain' (ECU) is bad just from sitting - but possible.
Finger in the spark plug hole shows good compression, yes?
Miles on the scooter?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bonemouth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 05:15:43 AM »
Thank you all for the ideas! This is my first scooter. I haven't been able to work on it again, but I'll at least get to try these things Saturday. I need to test compression, then see that the injector is spraying. I believe the odometer shows 3,000. It seems that's km (?).

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 12:08:11 PM »
Thank you all for the ideas! This is my first scooter. I haven't been able to work on it again, but I'll at least get to try these things Saturday. I need to test compression, then see that the injector is spraying. I believe the odometer shows 3,000. It seems that's km (?).
You might be able to tell if there is no compression....when attempting to start the motor will spin somewhat freely - like a sewing machine.
At 3000 miles/Kms doubt anything has occurred to destroy compression.
So, f u e l  delivery?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bonemouth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 10:27:47 PM »
You might be able to tell if there is no compression....when attempting to start the motor will spin somewhat freely - like a sewing machine.
At 3000 miles/Kms doubt anything has occurred to destroy compression.
So, f u e l  delivery?
Stig
Yes, I've confirmed the injector is spraying. The kill switch is also operating as it should be. There also seems to be plenty compression. Still, it doesn't seem like it's igniting anything, even starting fluid. There's spark, but don't know if this is the correct plug for it. Try another spark plug? Also, I noticed that while the check engine light comes on for 2 sec then off as it should, there's a shirt flash as soon as I press the start button and it begins to turn over. Does that mean anything?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 10:53:27 PM »
Check system voltage while cranking engine. ECU will not fire the plug if below 10 volts (thereabouts).
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

bonemouth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 11:27:41 PM »
Check system voltage while cranking engine. ECU will not fire the plug if below 10 volts (thereabouts).
Where do I check? I don't have a battery for it yet so I'm hooking the terminals directly to a good car battery. Shouldn't that work fine?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 12:06:08 AM »
Where do I check? I don't have a battery for it yet so I'm hooking the terminals directly to a good car battery. Shouldn't that work fine?
All depends on the connections. You can measure at the phone charge outlet.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 12:16:39 AM »
Was it running when put away?
Not sure what connecting your terminals to a running car will do.....was told never to do this with a running car.
Please check your fuses down there in the battery area.

Now buy a good new OEM equivalent scooter battery and install it. 12V at least 8Ah.
Once you've checked for good fuses - give it a start - remember - do not touch the throttle when starting this EFI scooter.
Turn key on, pull the brake lever, check that the rear brake light is working when you pull the brake lever with the key on,  push start button. If NO brake light - pull the other brake lever and check that brake light is lit.

Report back with your results with a proper battery installed.
Owners have reported a variety of "no start" reasons --- including starter button wires have been fiddled with inside the handlebar panel by a previous owner.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bonemouth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 06:02:29 PM »
Was it running when put away?
Not sure what connecting your terminals to a running car will do.....was told never to do this with a running car.
Please check your fuses down there in the battery area.

Now buy a good new OEM equivalent scooter battery and install it. 12V at least 8Ah.
Once you've checked for good fuses - give it a start - remember - do not touch the throttle when starting this EFI scooter.
Turn key on, pull the brake lever, check that the rear brake light is working when you pull the brake lever with the key on,  push start button. If NO brake light - pull the other brake lever and check that brake light is lit.

Report back with your results with a proper battery installed.
Owners have reported a variety of "no start" reasons --- including starter button wires have been fiddled with inside the handlebar panel by a previous owner.

Stig
I don't know if it was running when parked, but it looks to have sat for about 5 years. The fuses look good. What if neither handle activates the brake light?

I'll buy a proper battery this week and check the voltage at the cigarette lighter.

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 07:46:52 PM »
Man I just spent two years working on mine, over two years really finally bought a new fuel pump amd new fuel injector, finally ran today, now have another problem, so just go out amd buy a new pump amd new injector amd see if that works, everything after that will be cheap.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 08:05:12 PM »
I don't know if it was running when parked, but it looks to have sat for about 5 years. The fuses look good. What if neither handle activates the brake light?

I'll buy a proper battery this week and check the voltage at the cigarette lighter.
Brake bulb either burned out or contact bad because starter won't turn if at least one brake is not squeezed.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

bonemouth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 09:37:40 PM »
Man I just spent two years working on mine, over two years really finally bought a new fuel pump amd new fuel injector, finally ran today, now have another problem, so just go out amd buy a new pump amd new injector amd see if that works, everything after that will be cheap.
Those were my first two suspicions, but plenty of gas is delivered and the injector sprays it. I'm going to get a spark plug this week so I know the right one is in there. It baffles me that it can have spark, fuel, air and compression but not get beyond turning over.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()