Author Topic: Motorcyle Permit  (Read 621 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Motorcyle Permit
« on: March 03, 2021, 10:57:37 PM »
So, I may have visited the DMV today and obtained my motorcycle permit. With spring weather starting to arrive and our annual tax appointment with the accountant next week, I am waiting to see whether I can justify my first scooter purchase in the near future. Figure I've got to have my permit handy just in case, and for test rides and such, right?

Maybe it's COVID lockdowns or the long, snowy winter, but I've been really jazzed up about the possibility of getting my first on-road two-wheeler. Next Wednesday is supposed to be close to 60 here, and I've already told myself it might be a perfect afternoon to make a drive over to one of the big local dealers (100+ bikes in stock, about 45 minutes away) and literally kick the tires a little...
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcyle Permit
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 01:26:02 AM »
you're heading down a slippery slope that you may never recover from! (or may never want to!) You're about to sample that wonderful drug called riding (a scooter or motorcycle)..and feel the freedom, feel the breeze, smell the wonderful smells...

it's not too late...you can still take the Blue Pill and go back to your ignorant bliss...or you can take the red pill and join the rest of us lunatics on our 2 wheels!

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 08:44:30 AM »
you're heading down a slippery slope that you may never recover from! (or may never want to!) You're about to sample that wonderful drug called riding (a scooter or motorcycle)..and feel the freedom, feel the breeze, smell the wonderful smells...

it's not too late...you can still take the Blue Pill and go back to your ignorant bliss...or you can take the red pill and join the rest of us lunatics on our 2 wheels!

Nope. I think he’s a lost cause. Thankfully.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 12:22:15 PM »
Good for you!
A "permit".....you do still have to take a riding skills test as well, yes?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 12:55:50 PM »
Iowa Hawk and Neil are correct! You are sliding into a fascinating world of delight!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 03:39:50 PM »
Good for you!
A "permit".....you do still have to take a riding skills test as well, yes?
Stig

Stig, here's how motorcycle licensing works in Pennsylvania: You can take a "knowledge test" and get a motorcycle permit for $10 if you pass. The permit is good for one year, and it allows you to legally drive a motorcycle during daylight hours only. You also are not allowed to carry passengers, and you must wear a helmet at all times. You can renew a permit up to three times in any five-year period. So, you could essentially drive a motorcycle for several seasons (with some restrictions) without actually getting your motorcycle license.

Once you have your permit, there are two ways to get your motorcycle license: one is to take the "skills test" you refer to at the local DMV office. The other is to take the state's 15-hour motorcycle safe driving course from an approved instructor. This is state-sponsored, so free for participants. Upon successful completion of this course the "skills test" requirement is waived and the motorcycle endorsement is automatically added to your regular driving privileges.

There is a local Harley dealership that offers the state safety program, so my plan is to just go ahead and take that this spring. Not only will it negate the need for another trip to the DMV but most insurance companies offer discounts both for having your actual motorcycle license and for having completed a safe riding course. So, in this case, that class seems like a win-win-win option. And considering I'll be a new rider (although I've been driving passenger vehicles for 30+ years), I am sure getting some professional instruction is not a bad idea at all.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 03:46:45 PM »

Man, responses such as these are stoking my fire! I have some experience on two-wheelers, but have never driven extensively on the pavement. Have done some off-roading over the years, and my son currently has a CRF230 that I will occasionally take for a spin. However, I much prefer my UXV 450 for any serious off-roading.

One of the big decisions for me is to decide among scooter, motorcycle or dual sport. I am definitely leaning scooter, for several reasons: riding comfort, automatic transmission, storage space, weight of bike. I don't have any desire to hit the Interstate and do long-distance trips with my bike. I just want something of reasonable size and power to enjoy locally. Since you guys are all far more experienced than I am, and many have extensive experience with both scooters and motorcycles, I am curious about how you compare the two and if there are things I ought to be considering in my decision-making process that I am not bringing up here.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 03:54:29 PM »
In answer to your last post, I own both a 300cc scooter and a 675cc bike.  Over the last 4 years I have racked up 10x more miles* on the scooter than the bike.  Does that answer your question?

On the subject of training, just do it.  You will never regret it.

* For all the reasons you mention plus sheer practicality.  The only mistake I made when getting into scootering was buying an underpowered (for my size and weight) 125cc.  For non-Freeway/Interstate use I'd still advise avoiding sub-200cc scoots.  Although there are those on here who would vehemently argue that the 150 tiddlers are just as capable!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 03:58:25 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 04:34:25 PM »
In answer to your last post, I own both a 300cc scooter and a 675cc bike.  Over the last 4 years I have racked up 10x more miles* on the scooter than the bike.  Does that answer your question?

On the subject of training, just do it.  You will never regret it.

* For all the reasons you mention plus sheer practicality.  The only mistake I made when getting into scootering was buying an underpowered (for my size and weight) 125cc.  For non-Freeway/Interstate use I'd still advise avoiding sub-200cc scoots.  Although there are those on here who would vehemently argue that the 150 tiddlers are just as capable!

Thank you for your input! Unfortunately, I don't think we have near the variety of scooters available in the US market as you do in Europe. So, the choices are limited in that 150-200 range and then from there you jump up to quite a bit to 300 or higher. For me, styling is a big issue too. One of the big criticisms of scooters over the years is that they look what many people call "old manish." For lack of a better term, I think that's actually pretty accurate of many of the bigger touring scooters, though newer models such as the Honda X-ADV (not available in North America) are really changing that. That said, if I go the scooter route, it's going to have to be a bit of a sporty model or else I'm not going to like looking at it. So again, it limits the options a bit. You may have noticed I had a post a while back about the Honda ADV 150. It's basically a small clone of the X-ADV styled after the Africa Twin. You'd have them available there as well. They seem extremely popular in Asia.

Anyway, I've been doing research online and it seems that bike tops out around 60 mph but if you add an aftermarket clutch and variator you can improve acceleration and also get another 5-6 mph. I think that would be plenty for my purposes. I am sure you could get similar performance from a Super 8 150.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 04:39:48 PM »
Oh, I should add that Kymco's new KRV 175 is a fine-looking scooter as well. At least to me. I realize this is all a matter of personal preference. But it looks good and sporty and engine size is probably ideal for what I want to do. Alas, like many others, it is not offered in the U.S. market...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 04:46:11 PM by pa-outdoorsman »
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
a new scooter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 05:07:40 PM »
IMHO, a new scooter would be a good choice. Something in the 300cc range will give you good comfort and a respectable power to weight ratio.
The 300 will get you to max speed limit quickly and you can run with the flow of traffic easily. This is what I recommend for total and long-term satisfaction.
I bought a Kymco 300 GTI about four years ago and have been extremely pleased with it.
Good luck and ride safe. boo
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 05:12:20 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: a new scooter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 05:18:35 PM »
IMHO, a new scooter would be a good choice. Something in the 300cc range will give you good comfort and a respectable power to weight ratio.
The 300 will get you to max speed limit quickly and you can run with the flow of traffic easily. This is what I recommend for total and long-term satisfaction.
I bought a Kymco 300 GTI about four years ago and have been extremely pleased with it.
Good luck and ride safe. boo

I think the choices in the 300cc range are extremely limited in the US. You basically have the Kymco Xtown, the Yamaha Xmax and Suzuki Bergman 200 or 400. But I'm not sure I love the aesthetics of any of those. Kymco's new DT X360 adventure scooter looks nice, but like most of the other scooters with "new" styling not being offered in the US market.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 06:11:10 PM »
Stig, here's how motorcycle licensing works in Pennsylvania: You can take a "knowledge test" and get a motorcycle permit for $10 if you pass. The permit is good for one year, and it allows you to legally drive a motorcycle during daylight hours only. You also are not allowed to carry passengers, and you must wear a helmet at all times. You can renew a permit up to three times in any five-year period. So, you could essentially drive a motorcycle for several seasons (with some restrictions) without actually getting your motorcycle license.

Once you have your permit, there are two ways to get your motorcycle license: one is to take the "skills test" you refer to at the local DMV office. The other is to take the state's 15-hour motorcycle safe driving course from an approved instructor. This is state-sponsored, so free for participants. Upon successful completion of this course the "skills test" requirement is waived and the motorcycle endorsement is automatically added to your regular driving privileges.

There is a local Harley dealership that offers the state safety program, so my plan is to just go ahead and take that this spring. Not only will it negate the need for another trip to the DMV but most insurance companies offer discounts both for having your actual motorcycle license and for having completed a safe riding course. So, in this case, that class seems like a win-win-win option. And considering I'll be a new rider (although I've been driving passenger vehicles for 30+ years), I am sure getting some professional instruction is not a bad idea at all.
That seems pretty much the way it is here in Ohio.
Son and I took the 2-day riding safety course - passed the final skills test and were given a slip to take to the DMV to get motorcycle added to our license. Fortunately I've never again had to do a figure 8 inside of a bathroom.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 06:17:33 PM »
That seems pretty much the way it is here in Ohio.
Son and I took the 2-day riding safety course - passed the final skills test and were given a slip to take to the DMV to get motorcycle added to our license. Fortunately I've never again had to do a figure 8 inside of a bathroom.
Stig

;D ;D ;D
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 06:59:37 PM »
I think the best compromise is to get one of both, a scooter and a motorcycle! They both do different things well. I started with my scooter at age 49...loved riding and after the rider safety course realized I wanted just a little more and bought a motorcycle at age 50.  I'm a little backwards from Neil with putting about 10x the miles on my motorcycle vs my scoot (maybe I'll grow out of that someday?). The motorcycle provides a level of thrill unmatched by the scoot...the acceleration, shifting through the gears, the sound...all pleasurable.

The scoot is perfect for a leisurely cruise. Simple to operate and comfortable. Less 'thought' required to operate? Storage space so I can run errands with it. Kind of like riding on a Lazy Boy recliner (seating position). still a very satisfying ride.

Unfortunately for every one of us lunatics who gets the riding bug there are probably 5 or 10 people who give it a try for a month (or year) and then put their very low mileage bike away in the garage where it sits for a few years until Kansas Kymco comes along and buys it for a song!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()