Author Topic: Downtown 300i Rear Wheel removal / Tire change  (Read 1059 times)

Seanny

• View Profile
Downtown 300i Rear Wheel removal / Tire change
« on: March 12, 2021, 10:02:06 PM »
Hi all,

Want to ask if anyone can point me the right direction on how to remove the rear wheel to change the tire? Or maybe any guides online or video that showcases how to do so?

My rear tire is about 2 years old but recently has been leaking air. My front tire after 1-2 months still holds decent air pressure, only dropped around 2-3 PSI but my rear tire dropped to single digits PSI from 30 PSI. And so I suspect there's a puncture on the rear tire and want to remove the wheel and bring it to a shop to change the tire.

But just not sure how to do so. Do I have to remove the pipe?

Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Seanny

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Downtown 300i Rear Wheel removal / Tire change
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 10:35:28 PM »
Assuming all DT300i are the same:
1. Remove muffler by loosening slip clamp at forward end, removing three bolts in the middle of muffler, slide to rear.
2. Remove seat and tub ( to gain access to upper right rear shock absorber/spring assembly). Remove upper and lower bolts on shock, then remove shock.
3. Remove rear brake caliper BUT LEAVE HOSE CONNECTED! Dangle or hang caliper out of way.
4. Remove rear tire "huggy" fender.
5. Remove swing arm cast plate by removing two bolts at forward end and big nut on axle. Note the spacers sizes and locations. This will be normally the most aggravating, frustrating part of the project! The bearing must slide off the rear axle shaft and the rust will lock it on the shaft. Only light rust but the clearance is small. Lube the shaft liberally with your favorite light oil, WD-40, penetrating oil, whatever and pull, pry and cuss it STRAIGHT OFF. The first removal is the worst. There is no puller that will grab that plate evenly so don't bother. I have used the puller legs as prybars successfully.
6. Remove wheel. PITA, ain't it!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 10:49:28 PM »
that's why I love this forum!...a question is asked and 32 minutes later a detailed answer is given.

If you want to talk PITA...go and remove the S200 rear wheel!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 11:08:20 PM »
Assuming all DT300i are the same:
1. Remove muffler by loosening slip clamp at forward end, removing three bolts in the middle of muffler, slide to rear.
2. Remove seat and tub ( to gain access to upper right rear shock absorber/spring assembly). Remove upper and lower bolts on shock, then remove shock.
3. Remove rear brake caliper BUT LEAVE HOSE CONNECTED! Dangle or hang caliper out of way.
4. Remove rear tire "huggy" fender.
5. Remove swing arm cast plate by removing two bolts at forward end and big nut on axle. Note the spacers sizes and locations. This will be normally the most aggravating, frustrating part of the project! The bearing must slide off the rear axle shaft and the rust will lock it on the shaft. Only light rust but the clearance is small. Lube the shaft liberally with your favorite light oil, WD-40, penetrating oil, whatever and pull, pry and cuss it STRAIGHT OFF. The first removal is the worst. There is no puller that will grab that plate evenly so don't bother. I have used the puller legs as prybars successfully.
6. Remove wheel. PITA, ain't it!

Thanks for the step by step instructions! It sure sounds like a PITA. I have removed the rear wheel of a 98-01 zx6 before and thats a long time ago, but seems much more straight forward than this. The 5. instruction with removing the swing arm cast plate seems the most difficult and hardest to understand I'll probably have to set out a full day of free time to try and do that.

2-3 years ago I used to bring my Downtown 300i to a kymco dealer nearby to service and change my tires but they have shut down driven out of business due to low sales. They have good prices (probably one of the reason why they shut down) on services and the owner also rides a Downtown 300i so at least you are confident to give it to him to service. Now that I have to actually do it myself and seeing all these steps I appreciate that guy even more.  :'(

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 01:21:21 AM »
Please post how it goes for you! Hit any snags, just yell!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »
Do not forget to have spare muffler gasket on hand.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 05:20:23 PM »
Do not forget to have spare muffler gasket on hand.
There is no gasket at the slip joint, only at the head connection. Leaving the exhaust pipe attached to the head also avoids having to unplug the O^2 sensor.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 07:58:36 PM »
Xtown 300 i, there is gasket at muffler joint, Japanese call if packing.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 09:37:33 PM »
Xtown 300 i, there is gasket at muffler joint, Japanese call if packing.
There ya go! Different model!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()