Author Topic: Waiting for new AK550  (Read 1136 times)

JustWait

• View Profile
Waiting for new AK550
« on: March 16, 2021, 12:20:33 PM »
I am awaiting the delivery of a 2021 AK550 to a Kymco dealer that is about an hour from my home.  They are supposed to call me when they take delivery.
I have had many motorcycles and various scooters.  This will be my first Kymco.  I have done alot of reading about Kymco as well as the AK550.  I am excited and a little reserved all at the same time.  This particular Kymco dealer is the closest one to me.  I will be riding the scooter home as well as back to this dealer when
it needs servicing.  If I understand correctly from what I read, the oil is to be changed in like the first 300 miles.  I am going to find out if I would be allowed to
change the oil and filter this first time.  If not, I will have to ride it back to the dealer in less than a week.  I have a friend who is manager and part owner of a
large Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/BMW/KTM dealership here.  He told me he would service my Kymco.  I know they don't carry Kymco parts and not real sure if having them service the Kymco would affect my warranty. Definitely need MORE Kymco dealers. :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting for new AK550
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 01:00:41 PM »
Welcome!
If you're in the States - your local shop (or you) could do the routine maintenance on your Kymco. Just use proper grade oils (per the manual), only Kymco parts, keep a record of the services and all receipts.

READ your warranty papers when you get your scooter......to make certain nothing has changed since I received this information. Actually - I believe there are American laws in place which permit you to service your scooter locally at a non-Kymco shop.

Enjoy your scooter (many Kymco owners and even many Vespa owners live quite a distance from their dealers. It's what happens when you buy a scooter in a country where scooters are not at all popular.)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 02:05:51 PM »
Congratulations on the new scooter, one nice machine.  Your lucky only a hour drive. My close BMW motorcycle dealer 1 hour away closed. Now the closest dealer is KC or OKC both about 3 hours away.

Welcome to the forum.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

JustWait

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 03:53:52 PM »
I appreciate the reply's.  I am guessing that my drive home on my new scooter will need to be done well below posted speeds.  Once I have the break-in accomplished I will feel more at ease in our crazy traffic. I will attempt to share some pics of my new scoot when I get it home.  I am no the most computer literate person, but I will make an attempt to share some pics.

JustWait :)

robgloucester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 08:53:02 PM »
I am awaiting the delivery of a 2021 AK550 to a Kymco dealer that is about an hour from my home.  They are supposed to call me when they take delivery.
I have had many motorcycles and various scooters.  This will be my first Kymco.  I have done alot of reading about Kymco as well as the AK550.  I am excited and a little reserved all at the same time.  This particular Kymco dealer is the closest one to me.  I will be riding the scooter home as well as back to this dealer when
it needs servicing.  If I understand correctly from what I read, the oil is to be changed in like the first 300 miles.  I am going to find out if I would be allowed to
change the oil and filter this first time.  If not, I will have to ride it back to the dealer in less than a week.  I have a friend who is manager and part owner of a
large Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/BMW/KTM dealership here.  He told me he would service my Kymco.  I know they don't carry Kymco parts and not real sure if having them service the Kymco would affect my warranty. Definitely need MORE Kymco dealers. :)

i just order one my self they told me 30 to 40 days,i live in mass,what did they tell you

JustWait

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 10:15:57 PM »
I called this dealer last week and they said they had one coming in last week. That never happened. Now they tell me they will get it this week. Hasn’t happened yet. I wonder if they really know. I told them I wanted it when it came in.
I shouldn’t hold my breath but admittedly I am. If they don’t get it in this week I will probably have the dealer in OKC ship me one if they have any. The had two 2 weeks ago. Don’ t know how fast they are selling. Currently this is the biggest scooter one can buy in the states.  No 2021 Bergman’s or BMW C650GT for the USA.

Just Wait

robgloucester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 11:13:12 PM »
i called the kymco headquarter and they said they have none in stock in usa and told me 30 to 40 days,but ive notices there couple in florida for sale 2021

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 03:31:25 PM »
Seems getting inventory is a big issue at U.S. motorcycle dealers these days, and it's not just Kymco. I visited a Honda dealer a week ago to look at a particular model I was interested in. The one on the floor had been sold, but I wanted to see one in person so I stopped in before it was delivered to the new owner. They have two more of that particular model on order, but literally no idea when they will arrive.

This particular shop had a good inventory, and said they ordered heavily early in 2020 when it became apparent that recreational things such as cycles were going to be big amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. However, he said many other dealers who were not as quick to act got caught off guard and were left with little or nothing to sell once they exhausted their current inventory. As a result, he said many small shops are barely getting by, because they have no bikes to sell and can't get their hands on new ones nearly fast enough.

I would imagine this would be a particularly big problem for small shops that only carry one brand and cannot rely on a variety of manufacturers to trickle new inventory into them.

In my case, I ended up finding a "used" version of the machine I wanted with 148 miles and a good price on it at a dealer six hours away. I have since purchased that bike over the phone and paid for it. I will be driving up next week to get it and trailer it home. Spring is peak cycle buying season anyway, but with the supply chain disruptions being caused by the pandemic, I think the moral of the story is this: IF YOU FIND SOMETHING YOU WANT, IN STOCK, BUY IT!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

JustWait

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 10:16:16 AM »
Over a year ago the local Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/BMW dealer had a Suzuki 400 scooter as well as a 650 Bergman sitting on the floor. Both were new.  They were both a year or two old and just collecting dust.  They were both heavily discounted.  I wish now that I had purchased one of them.  Both had sold by the time I was really wanting a scooter to replace my Gold Wing.  This dealer had a couple BMW 650 scooters, but had sold them to.  This dealer called around for me several weeks ago and told me BMW had 2 650's in their warehouse. If I wanted one it would cost me $12,200, before taxes etc...  I said NO. This dealer also said he called to try and get a Burgman 650 or a 400. He said no luck with that.  If I had only known then what I know now. Currently, Suzuki will not be bringing a 650 Bergman to the States. Not sure about the 400.  There won't be any BMW 650's in the States for 2021. As far as I am aware Kymco has the largest scooter, AK550, being offered in the States.  My wife sometimes like to ride with me, so no way I was going to buy a scooter less than 350-400 cc. Around where I live if you don't keep up with the traffic you are in for a terrible ride to say the least.   

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 04:23:27 PM »
Over a year ago the local Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/BMW dealer had a Suzuki 400 scooter as well as a 650 Bergman sitting on the floor. Both were new.  They were both a year or two old and just collecting dust.  They were both heavily discounted.  I wish now that I had purchased one of them.  Both had sold by the time I was really wanting a scooter to replace my Gold Wing.  This dealer had a couple BMW 650 scooters, but had sold them to.  This dealer called around for me several weeks ago and told me BMW had 2 650's in their warehouse. If I wanted one it would cost me $12,200, before taxes etc...  I said NO. This dealer also said he called to try and get a Burgman 650 or a 400. He said no luck with that.  If I had only known then what I know now. Currently, Suzuki will not be bringing a 650 Bergman to the States. Not sure about the 400.  There won't be any BMW 650's in the States for 2021. As far as I am aware Kymco has the largest scooter, AK550, being offered in the States.  My wife sometimes like to ride with me, so no way I was going to buy a scooter less than 350-400 cc. Around where I live if you don't keep up with the traffic you are in for a terrible ride to say the least.   

It's amazing what one little pandemic can do!  :-\
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 04:27:05 PM »
I will say I do see a fair number of Bergmans available on Facebook Marketplace in my area. Most are in excellent condition, many with low mileage. Of course, they come and go, but if you're in the market for one and you check several times each week, it would only be a matter of time before one popped up in your area and price range...
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 08:36:31 PM »
You can service your own vehicle and keep the warranty. According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act, which is enforced by the Federal Trade Commission, it's illegal for manufacturers or dealers to void your warranty or deny you coverage because you performed the work yourself.
Like 150i ABS

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 06:38:49 AM »
I appreciate the reply's.  I am guessing that my drive home on my new scooter will need to be done well below posted speeds.  Once I have the break-in accomplished I will feel more at ease in our crazy traffic. I will attempt to share some pics of my new scoot when I get it home.  I am no the most computer literate person, but I will make an attempt to share some pics.

JustWait :)

The dealer told me that a bike like the AK550 doesnt really require that much of a break in simply because it doesnt attack the RPMs the same way a lot of bike engines do...the range they normally operate in is basically a comfortable break in at long as you dont go full throttle for a prolonged period.

When i think about it, i guess that all makes sense.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 12:29:58 PM »
The dealer told me that a bike like the AK550 doesnt really require that much of a break in simply because it doesnt attack the RPMs the same way a lot of bike engines do...the range they normally operate in is basically a comfortable break in at long as you dont go full throttle for a prolonged period.

When i think about it, i guess that all makes sense.
The  break-in specifics of course are found in the owner's manual. But, some riders, counter staff, parts guys and salesmen "know better".....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 04:13:18 PM »
The  break-in specifics of course are found in the owner's manual. But, some riders, counter staff, parts guys and salesmen "know better".....
Stig

I cant see that in my owners manual...or in the service manual

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 06:01:40 PM by jermwars »
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()