Author Topic: I took the leap!  (Read 1303 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
I took the leap!
« on: March 17, 2021, 03:54:24 PM »
Well guys, as you know it's been a long time in coming, but I finally pulled the trigger on my first scooter! Alas. It. Is. Not. A. Kymco.

Thankfully, everyone is so nice on this board and I know lots of you also own non-Kymco machines. So, I feel pretty confident I will not be excommunicated for this offense.

So, what did I get, you ask? A 2021 Honda ADV 150. This is the best-looking small scoot available in the US today, IMO. Also pretty feature rich compared to other available options in the 150-200 range. But I won't go into all that here. Suffice it to say I am excited about the new ride and can't wait to hit the road.

I actually found this scooter "used" online from a dealer in Massachusetts. It has 148 miles on it, and I was able to get a good deal that allowed me to avoid all the destination and junk fees you'd pay if you get one new. One local Honda dealer quoted me $5,400 OTD for a new unit he had in stock. I ended that with a quick, "No thanks." I basically consider this one brand new. It was titled last August and traded into the dealer in November.

Anyway, for those who are interested, here are a few photos. I can post some actual photos after I pick it up, but I promise not to bore everyone here on the Kymco board with a bunch of Honda talk.

Happy riding!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: I took the leap!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 04:06:47 PM »
Looks a great scooter with it's lookalike Ohlins piggy back shocks - I take it they're not Ohlins?  Keep us posted on the owning experience.  As you say I don't think we're too purist about non-Kymco posts here.  Enjoy the ride, two wheels is the main thing, brand is secondary!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 04:09:53 PM »
Front and rear suspension on the ADV 150 both from Showa.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 04:27:04 PM »
Very nice! ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 06:12:36 PM »
Congratulation, good looking ride,
keen to see more.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 07:17:34 PM »
Unless the previous owner pushed off a tall building there is limited possibility anything is wrong with it so you are the WINNER! C'mon down!

Doncha dare be a clam about this. We wanna know, blow by blow, your experience! Remember, no Honda, no Kymco. Or at best Kymco facilities would be making fry pans!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 07:38:25 PM »
Unless the previous owner pushed off a tall building there is limited possibility anything is wrong with it so you are the WINNER! C'mon down!

Doncha dare be a clam about this. We wanna know, blow by blow, your experience! Remember, no Honda, no Kymco. Or at best Kymco facilities would be making fry pans!

The dealer assures me the bike is pristine. Certainly looks so in the photos, and as you note, with only 148 miles, the first owner never even made it through the break-in period! In fact, factory warranty is still good until August. So, I figure that give me plenty of time to put some miles on and see if anything possibly needs fixing.

As for my experience, that'll begin next weekend when I drive up to get the bike and trailer it home. Then, it's just up to Mother Nature to see how soon, or often, I'll have decent riding weather. At any rate, it won't be long now, and I'll be ready to roll once the sun starts shining on a regular basis.

I also liked your comment about Honda. I guess you are right; Kymco got its start making parts for Hondas. Not sure if they still do, but maybe there's a Kymco item somewhere inside my new machine...
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 07:41:10 PM »
the more scooter talk, the better! Please let us know your riding impressions, maintenance, etc. as time goes on.

congratulations!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 08:36:40 PM »
I wasn't sure.
Did he get married?
Sat for that root canal he's been putting off?
Join the Marines?

A Honda?!
Best there is on two wheels. ..IMHO.
(Though, those blue & white Super Cubs are the best looking Honda scooters sold in the States...imho.😊 )
Good for you!
If it does what you want it to do - it'll be a peach.
As with most scooter forums - we like scooters here. All scooters!  (although some Honda forum guys are getting mighty tired of my Kymco snd Piaggio photos😊
Keep pix and comments coming if you have the time!
Enjoy
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 09:36:18 PM »
I wasn't sure.
Did he get married?
Sat for that root canal he's been putting off?
Join the Marines?

A Honda?!
Best there is on two wheels. ..IMHO.
(Though, those blue & white Super Cubs are the best looking Honda scooters sold in the States...imho.😊 )
Good for you!
If it does what you want it to do - it'll be a peach.
As with most scooter forums - we like scooters here. All scooters!  (although some Honda forum guys are getting mighty tired of my Kymco snd Piaggio photos😊
Keep pix and comments coming if you have the time!
Enjoy
Stig

Stig, enjoyed the humor. I've been married 24 years. My teeth are in great shape. And I'm way too old to join the Marines at this point.

Thanks for your approval of my choice of brand, if not choice of styling. Based on your Like, I believe you prefer a more traditional "European" scooter design. It was said that Honda developed the ADV 150, at least in part, in an effort to attract new scooters riders, and hopefully I am just one of many folks who will jump on board thanks in part to the modern design style. It's definitely a "different" look within the scooter category.

As for the Super Cubs, they look like something right out the 1950s to me. They are cool, and the guy at the Honda dealer I visited made sure to point out that it is the single best-selling vehicle of all time. I believe Honda recently celebrated the sale of its 2 millionth unit. That's A LOT of Super Cubs, and you can only imagine the combined total of mileage that machine has done since its inception.

Since all you guys seem pretty eager for more "scooter talk," I'll be sure to let you all know how I'm liking the ADV and share some additional photos once I get the unit home and get riding.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

scooter freak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 12:11:40 AM »
I like it! congrats. I've had a couple of pcx 150's and very good scoots. keep us posted, be curious as to how it performs, think you're going to be happy

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 01:15:54 AM »
I like it! congrats. I've had a couple of pcx 150's and very good scoots. keep us posted, be curious as to how it performs, think you're going to be happy

It has the same engine as the PCX 150 and is largely based on the same platform. I know the PCX has a great reputation as a bulletproof machine so hopefully this proves just as dependable.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

JustWait

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 10:21:21 AM »
That is a good looking scooter.  I think you did great.  If my wife didn't care about riding some, I would have looked seriously at the ADV 150.  Good Luck!
Should be bulletproof.  Have fun. :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 11:22:21 AM »
I'm sitting here in the rain, in the dark, on the Group W Bench.....and these guys want to know what you paid out the door for this Honda.
Mind, me?....I wouldn't ask😊
So what can a lightly used one be had for?
(another great sentence. ...but it's raining on my head...)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 04:13:50 PM »
I'm sitting here in the rain, in the dark, on the Group W Bench.....and these guys want to know what you paid out the door for this Honda.
Mind, me?....I wouldn't ask😊
So what can a lightly used one be had for?
(another great sentence. ...but it's raining on my head...)
Stig

Ah, this is a GOOD question! I thought about whether to answer, and ultimately decided to do so, in hopes it will be of use to others. But first, a bit of context:

As with all financial transactions, the price of anything is determined by WHATEVER THE MARKET WILL BEAR. This is Economics 101. Now, to bring this to the scooter market, we have an interesting situation this year with a couple "new" models available. My ADV 150 is a brand new model in the small scooter class, and the AK550 is a brand new model in the maxi-scooter class. Both seem to be generating good interest in their respective market segments, and as several posters on this forum have noted, inventory seems to be in relatively short supply. It doesn't take a genius to know that short supply and high demand typically yields higher pricing.

With that said, let's also acknowledge what MANY folks have acknowledged on this forum over the years. Every scooter has an MSRP, and then there's the OTD (out the door) price. It doesn't really matter what the MSRP is, because your ACTUAL COST is the OTD price. And you can play with the different pieces and part of the total all you want, but nothing matters except OTD. In other words, you can "negotiate" a price down as low as you want, but if the dealer still insists on marking up the OTD price with a variety of "freight," "assembly" and "prep" fees, it's all for naught.

With my particular purchase, I went into the whole process knowing the MSRP on the ADV 150 is $4,299. Honda also lists a $380 dealer freight fee in smaller print on their website. So, in reality, the lowest advertised price for one of these machines is $4,679. But of course, that still does not include any dealer setup charges, doc fees, tax, title or registration. So, what your final OTD price would be is anyone's guess. I can tell you I was quoted "roughly" $5,400 by a local Honda dealer who has one of the ADV 150s in stock. That seemed quite high to me, and certainly more than I was willing to pay. But, given the newness of the scooter and limited inventory, I imagine they will probably find someone willing to pay that. And I figure the dealer shares my opinion and so was in no rush to offer me a better deal.

In searching on Cycle Trader, I found a grand total of a dozen or so "used" ADV 150s available nationwide. Again, being a new model that made its U.S. debut last summer, there are not that many of these machines out there, and definitely not many used ones available. If you want a PCX 150, you can find them plentiful on places such as Facebook Marketplace, but trying to find a used ADV 150 is kind of like a needle in a haystack. I am sure in another year or two, that won't be the case, but right now they are scarce.

One of the nicest used bikes I found, and the one I ultimately purchased, was listed online for $3,999. As it has only 148 miles, that seemed pretty reasonable to me, especially if you factor in the $5,400 OTD price I was quoted for a new unit. That's a $1,400 savings for 1,40 miles, or roughly a $10 per mile depreciation! I reached out to the dealer and had hoped to perhaps get the machine for $3,700, but not only were they firm on the price, they wanted to add dealer fees that brought the total to $4,600. I told them that was out of the question, and I really did not want to pay more than $4,000. The salesman did the whole "talk to my manager and I'll get back to you" thing.

In the meantime, I called a second dealer in Massachusetts that had a used machine with 500 miles advertised for $4,295. I was able to get the price of the bike down to $4,000, but he insisted that the state requires a $295 "doc fee" on every transaction. I say BS, but bottom line was $4,300 OTD. I tell the guy it's not a bad price; I'll think about it and get back to you.

Then the guy from the first dealer calls me back and says the manager agreed to knock $300 off the price, so $4,300 OTD. So, now I have my choice of two bikes, each at $4,300 OTD. What to do? Do I really want to buy one of these? Am I going to walk away for $300? So, I think about it overnight and call the first dealer back the next day and tell him I'll take the bike with 148 miles for $4,300 OTD.

That means I purchased a 2021 scoot with 148 miles for the actual MSRP of the machine. At first glance, that might not seem like a great deal. But if you actually try to shop for one of these machines, it's actually about the best deal you can get right now. Again, I am sure prices will moderate in time, but if you want one of these RIGHT NOW, I believe that's about the best the market will bear from a dealer. It's worth noting that I have seen just a few of these bikes pop up on Cycle Trader for private sale, and you MIGHT be able to get one for $3,500-$3,900. However, it has to be close enough to you that you can actually get there, and you have to beat everyone else to the seller's door with CASH IN HAND or you lose out. So, again, if you want to be patient and play that game, you can certainly do that and you might get lucky. Or, you can just pay a little more, work with a dealer and get a bike.

One final note worth mentioning is that, since I am buying this bike out of state, I do not have to pay sales tax or any DMV fees as part of the purchase. So, once I get it home to Pennsylvania, I'll have to go to the DMV here and pay the 6% sales tax on what I paid for the bike, plus a $55 title fee and a $20 annual registration fee. That'll add another $315 in order to get a plate on the scooter and be legal to hit the road. Bottom line, that's still $800 less than what I was quoted for a new unit. Granted, I have to drive to go get it, but my folks live not far from the dealer and I'm going to stop for an overnight visit. Haven't seen my mom and Dad since the pandemic started (Dad is 86 and Mom is 80; just got their vaccines) so that's actually kind of a bonus to the whole thing.

FWIW: I arranged for insurance, and that's going to cost me about $150 for a whole year, which seems like peanuts compared to what I pay for my other vehicles.

Apologies for the long-winded answer, but wanted to offer my personal experience in locating and negotiating a long-distance sale in the current environment. One thought I had was that if I found a machine I wanted, I ought to just go ahead and lock it down before everyone received their stimulus checks and started shopping too. I think that, combined with the other factors already mentioned, will keep scoot and cycle prices fairly high this spring. Interested to hear everyone else's thoughts.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()