Author Topic: Fellow AK550 Owners Question - Noticeable vibration at deceleration  (Read 3988 times)

WEL

• View Profile
Hi AK550 Owners.

I have about 700 miles on my AK550. From the beginning I noticed a vibration, may more of clunk during deceleration at about 20-22 mph (32-35 kph).

My guess is it's the clutch/transmission disengaging or something like that. The scooter runs fine, without any noticeable issues.

Changed the oil and filter about 100 miles ago and no change and runs great.

Have any other AK owners noticed this characteristic?

KYMCO
2021 AK 550

JustWait

• View Profile
Re: Fellow AK550 Owners Question - Noticeable vibration at deceleration
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 09:47:08 AM »
Hope the vibration goes away. Doesn't seem to be engine related to me.  Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Check tires for any flaws.  I am still waiting for my AK550 to come in.  I am curious as to what speeds you are riding during break-in.  My dealer is an hour away from my home. I am going to have to ride the AK550 home on a highway.  Not looking forward to that part of my purchase.  Let me know if you get your vibration problem solved.  Good Luck!

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 04:17:13 PM »
New AK550?  Jealous?  Who, me?

Enjoy the ride and don't forget the photos.  As is often said on here, "No pictures?  It didn't happen!"  Oh yes, and welcome to the forum!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Durdle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 11:29:24 PM »
Good to know there are a few ak 550 owners out there.  I don't think this bike was introduced in the US until 2021 (could be wrong), anyway I bought an ak550 3 weeks ago from a dealer in Phoenix, az.  It was the company's demo and had 438 miles on lit.  I was always reluctant to buy a demo "cuz it could have been ridden hard in the 1st couple of hundred miles.  This one though was in perfect condition with absolutely no problems. I'm very happy since I have had many scooters in my life but not one with the power of a motorcycle.

To address the problem you brought up.  I find that I get intermittent vibration (thru the foot board) when I not putting the engine under load such as when I'm going 56-60 on level ground while backing off the throttle a bit and not losing speed. Otherwise I don't get the feeling.  I have a Piaggio BV 500 also and find that that happens to it as well but not as noticeable. I suspect this will go away with more bread-in time. 
WEL, thanks for starting a conversation.

JustWait

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 12:30:49 AM »
WEL, did you ever find out what was causing your problem?  Interested to know. I haven’t had this problem, at least so far. :)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 07:50:08 AM »
I haven't taken in to the dealer. I only feel the brief vibration slowing downs at right at about 22-20 MPH. It runs great and I'm not sure if it's just a characteristic of the scooter.

It may well be. All scooters have their own idiosyncrasies in my experience. I was concerned about vibes at 60 mph earlier and these have virtually disappeared now the motor has a few 000 miles on it! Ride, enjoy, repeat!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 05:37:58 PM »

Mine does the exact same thing...did you ever figure it out?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 06:21:26 PM by jermwars »
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 12:33:59 AM »
I guess what matters more is at about what RPM does this happen. I know it's hard to determine very closely what the RPM is with the segmented meter for it. My Burgman clutch totally lets go at 1500 rpm and that is very noticeable even with the newer model that has the clutch with less drag. I also know that the AK 550 revs higher than my Burgman does. I did the chance to test ride one last week, twice, but didn't notice any significant vibes that caught my attention.

As soon as my Burgman 650 sells I'll be wheeling and dealing with a dealer willing to talk to me who has one of these.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 03:05:23 PM »
Was there a comment you wanted to put along with that quote? Outside the quote box please so it can be easily seen.  Or is this just an attempt at a duplicate posting? ;)
/bob

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 05:13:40 PM »
Rubber Band drive scooters do have clutch dis-engage on decel....bike free wheels to stop.  Just the way it is----maybe you are new to this type of drive line---I have had 11 new Maxi scooters and over 400,000 miles with them---all feel the same.  No fix.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »
Every time I read someone talk about a "rubber band" drive I can't help but wonder if they really understand much about the belts in the CVT regardless how many scooters they've owned or how long they've owned them. While the belt in the CVT IS made of mostly rubber it is the same kind of construction as the drive belt in the final drive of Harley Davidson, some BMW, and several other motorcycles. Not much stretch to them. But then I did have one person describe why they call it a rubber band FEELING... it was to them due to the very slight hesitation between twisting the throttle to feeling the power at the rear wheel. So NOTHING to do with what I think of when I hear "rubber band" drive.

I haven't had a lot of CVT scooters but I've done all maintenance and ridden my wife's Honda Metropolitan since 2004 and I've owned and ridden and done almost all maintenance on 2 Burgman 650 scoots over the years between then and now. It's not always a matter of how many owned or how many years but rather how much learned. Some riders can own something for a year and learn more about it than others who have owned several of the same model for a few decades.

And it is true... if due to the clutch releasing and not some other problem then there is no fix.
/bob

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 12:27:33 AM »
yeah, talk about the clutch releasing...my Helix at around 12-13 mph has the clutch disengage and it is very noticeable...I'm slowing down, down, down...waiting...and boom!...clutch disengages and scoot free wheels forward. Nothing wrong with it, like you guys said..it's just the way the driveline works.

I also think John Grinsel calls them 'rubber band drive' scooters somewhat tongue in cheek... 8)
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 04:09:07 AM »
Was there a comment you wanted to put along with that quote? Outside the quote box please so it can be easily seen.  Or is this just an attempt at a duplicate posting? ;)

OOPS  :P :)

I didnt realize id done that. Thank ya, sir.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2021, 05:35:16 PM »
Have you gotten any insight here?

Im still really trying to figure it out...i still refuse to believe its a defect that makes yours and mine do exactly the same thing
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2021, 11:23:32 PM »
I guess what matters more is at about what RPM does this happen. I know it's hard to determine very closely what the RPM is with the segmented meter for it. My Burgman clutch totally lets go at 1500 rpm and that is very noticeable even with the newer model that has the clutch with less drag. I also know that the AK 550 revs higher than my Burgman does. I did the chance to test ride one last week, twice, but didn't notice any significant vibes that caught my attention.

As soon as my Burgman 650 sells I'll be wheeling and dealing with a dealer willing to talk to me who has one of these.

On mine, this happens right when the tachometer drops off the 3000 bar...just a slight little "thump"

Its driving me neutz
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()