Author Topic: Fellow AK550 Owners Question - Noticeable vibration at deceleration  (Read 4493 times)

mousejunks

• View Profile
Re: Fellow AK550 Owners Question - Noticeable vibration at deceleration
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2021, 02:48:49 AM »
On mine, this happens right when the tachometer drops off the 3000 bar...just a slight little "thump"

Its driving me neutz

I get a brief thump on deceleration at 2000rpm on my Downtown 350i. I don't notice it anymore and don't care after seeing no damage or wear on the transmission after 20,000km.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2021, 07:50:32 PM »
Assuming something is at fault to cause that thump on decel of this big heavy scooter...what could one imagine it to be?
I'm no expert, but I seriously doubt that there is anything at fault causing this sensation on your scooter. I suspect that a tear-down would reveal that nothing is out of spec.
What does your dealer say?
Stig
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 09:34:49 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2021, 05:52:37 PM »
Hi AK550 Owners.

I have about 700 miles on my AK550. From the beginning I noticed a vibration, may more of clunk during deceleration at about 20-22 mph (32-35 kph).

My guess is it's the clutch/transmission disengaging or something like that. The scooter runs fine, without any noticeable issues.

Changed the oil and filter about 100 miles ago and no change and runs great.

Have any other AK owners noticed this characteristic?

You get any ideas on this issue yet?

Been waiting to hear back from you
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2021, 08:29:58 PM »
I get a brief thump on deceleration at 2000rpm on my Downtown 350i. I don't notice it anymore and don't care after seeing no damage or wear on the transmission after 20,000km.

Thats comforting. :D

Im sure im just being hyper-anal since this is the first brand new vehicle ive ever bought

Id hate to ignore a developing problem until the warranty wears out and it becomes critical
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2021, 08:35:19 PM »
Assuming something is at fault to cause that thump on decel of this big heavy scooter...what could one imagine it to be?
I'm no expert, but I seriously doubt that there is anything at fault causing this sensation on your scooter. I suspect that a tear-down would reveal that nothing is out of spec.
What does your dealer say?
Stig

My first instinct was that its the clutch popping open...but if so, it would occur on all the AK550s and probably any other similarly designed clutch...I dont get it on my yamaha majesty 400, but thats a different configuration as you probably know.

Ive never dug into a setup like this one so im just not very confident in diagnosing

The guys in the service department pretty much dismissed it when i first described it to them but after bringing it up again they said i can drop it off and they'll look at it.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2021, 02:29:26 PM »

The guys in the service department pretty much dismissed it when i first described it to them but after bringing it up again they said i can drop it off and they'll look at it.

Interestingly pretty much the same response I got to my noisy take-off on my new XTown 300...  Until the transmission failed completely some 500 miles later!  Turns out a variator nut hadn't been correctly torqued up at the factory  ::)  The good news is it was sorted quickly under warranty and there have been no further issues.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2021, 10:35:20 AM »
Hi AK550 Owners.

I have about 700 miles on my AK550. From the beginning I noticed a vibration, may more of clunk during deceleration at about 20-22 mph (32-35 kph).

My guess is it's the clutch/transmission disengaging or something like that. The scooter runs fine, without any noticeable issues.

Changed the oil and filter about 100 miles ago and no change and runs great.

Have any other AK owners noticed this characteristic?

Wel?

Did you find anything out?

Are you still having the problem?
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2021, 11:19:48 AM »
Wel?

Did you find anything out?

Are you still having the problem?
Yep, we're all on tenterhooks!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2021, 05:59:04 PM »
Yep, we're all on tenterhooks!

I need CLOSURE!!

:D
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2021, 02:08:47 AM »
Good to know there are a few ak 550 owners out there.  I don't think this bike was introduced in the US until 2021 (could be wrong), anyway I bought an ak550 3 weeks ago from a dealer in Phoenix, az.  It was the company's demo and had 438 miles on lit.  I was always reluctant to buy a demo "cuz it could have been ridden hard in the 1st couple of hundred miles.  This one though was in perfect condition with absolutely no problems. I'm very happy since I have had many scooters in my life but not one with the power of a motorcycle.

To address the problem you brought up.  I find that I get intermittent vibration (thru the foot board) when I not putting the engine under load such as when I'm going 56-60 on level ground while backing off the throttle a bit and not losing speed. Otherwise I don't get the feeling.  I have a Piaggio BV 500 also and find that that happens to it as well but not as noticeable. I suspect this will go away with more bread-in time. 
WEL, thanks for starting a conversation.

Does your belt sit all the way to the left in the wheel sprocket? Mine is almost touching the little wall enclosing the left side...i feel like it should be more centered
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2021, 02:27:20 AM »
Does your belt sit all the way to the left in the wheel sprocket? Mine is almost touching the little wall enclosing the left side...i feel like it should be more centered

I've noticed that on a few AK scooters I've looked. The one I test rode in Fort Smith and also one who's owner posted pics on the ADV Rider forum. Both were much closer to the left side of the rear sprocket than the right side. I mentioned on that other forum that the service manual indicates that there should be a space of more than 1 mm on either side of the belt to the sides of the sprocket. That actually means one side can be close and the other will have much more space showing. As long as it doesn't wander side to side. It doesn't really need to be centered unless you are just "that way" about things.  :D
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2021, 03:06:22 PM »
I've noticed that on a few AK scooters I've looked. The one I test rode in Fort Smith and also one who's owner posted pics on the ADV Rider forum. Both were much closer to the left side of the rear sprocket than the right side. I mentioned on that other forum that the service manual indicates that there should be a space of more than 1 mm on either side of the belt to the sides of the sprocket. That actually means one side can be close and the other will have much more space showing. As long as it doesn't wander side to side. It doesn't really need to be centered unless you are just "that way" about things.  :D

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciate it.

I didnt really realize i was "that way" about things until i got this new bike...Gonna need to work on that a little :)
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2021, 03:59:46 PM »
Dealer service center checked it out and said its nothing to worry about...just the clutch releasing.

Im still skeptical.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2021, 04:58:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply! Much appreciate it.

I didnt really realize i was "that way" about things until i got this new bike...Gonna need to work on that a little :)

No worries.
It's a new machine for you. I'm exactly "that way" about my new machine even if it is a used machine but just new to me so I am VERY familiar with that.  ;D
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2021, 06:18:58 PM »
Thats comforting. :D

Im sure im just being hyper-anal since this is the first brand new vehicle ive ever bought

Id hate to ignore a developing problem until the warranty wears out and it becomes critical

If it is like other Kymco scooters - relax- you have 2 years on the drive-train warranty.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()