Author Topic: Monsoon ride checked off the to-do list!  (Read 385 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Monsoon ride checked off the to-do list!
« on: March 18, 2021, 02:48:58 PM »
OK, got that out of my system!
Heaviest rain I've ever ridden in. (not like it snuck up on me ....it was pouring when I opened the garage door!)
Pinlock was fogging instantly - so had to crack the face shield  - Rain-X for Plastic helped not at all.
New water-proof textile snowmobile gloves got soaked through.

Did not notice the "Wind Advisory" in the forecast.
LIKE200i 35W headlight in pitch dark & heavy rain is an adventure....but then most headlights will just bounce off standing water at night.

Good coffee, but it will be awhile before I do that again.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Monsoon ride checked off the to-do list!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 04:14:57 PM »
An interesting experiment Tom, but really, you should know by your age that discretion is... etc., etc.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 09:34:40 AM »
Kind of reminds me when, back in 1989, as I was taking a used BMW R80RT out for an 1,800 mile test ride before I officially bought it from a friend.  We were heading from Shelbyville, TN to Murfreesboro, and we got caught in a hurricane as it headed north.  We were on a state road, and there was no where to stop, so we just kept going.  The rain was torrential.  We (three of us on BMWs) were riding in water up to the pegs.  We finally found a gas station - we were all on reserve by the time we got there - and waited for the remainder of the storm to pass.  From what we saw on the news when we finally got to the B&B we were staying at (about 3 hours late), the hurricane did a lot of damage when it came ashore.  I bought the BMW, since I knew it could handle just about anything, especially rain.

That bike, and several others, have taken me through some pretty weird weather experiences.  8 inches of snow on the Blue Ridge Parkway; outrunning a tornado in Kansas; 110 degree heat in Death Valley; and incredibly dense fog in Nova Scotia while doing the Cabot Trail.  But I survived.

Used to ride in any weather, but since I've turned into an old geezer, I'm selective about in what types of weather I'll ride in.

BTW - Stig, we got the rain up here in NE Ohio that you had earlier in southern Ohio.  Lasted most of the day.  And now it's really chilly and windy, but dry.

Jeff

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 07:23:13 PM »
@Stig,
maybe worth a try such an LED-lamp for your next adventure trip. Fits plug and play😉
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 11:31:52 PM »
@Stig,
maybe worth a try such an LED-lamp for your next adventure trip. Fits plug and play😉
Hey Ruffus,

My main concern with LED bulbs* being installed in a headlight reflector which is actually designed for a specific halogen bulb - is the aiming and pattern of the light.
Brightness is one thing - (the stock 55/60W halogen bulb in my Piaggio is very bright and very well focused because it is being used in the reflector designed for it!) - but I ride out from home in the dark every single time which I ride - and I am rather particular about how my headlight functions for me and how it appears to oncoming drivers. I frequently ride in the fog and the rain while it is pitch dark....so the headlight behavior is important to me.

Flooding the road with light is not my biggest concern....and no light is great on wet pavement - especially when dealing with the lights of oncoming traffic in the wet.

I do see now that they are recognizing this issue (*) and are making an LED bulb which can be turned 360° so that the beam can more accurately mimic the pattern of the stock halogen bulb.
I may some day investigate such a bulb....though I'm not keen on a blue/white light.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 02:12:33 PM »
@Stig,
yes, agree 100% with you that oncoming drivers shoudn't bothered too much by our headlights.

Since a cycles ( bycicle, mofa, scooters, motorcycle) is not stable at all (handle move, road even, riders movements, etc.) I would not be too concerned about that issue. For ME the most important  thing I is my safety and security.

So, on our LIKEs is it easy to adjust this LED-beam to our convenience.
-first elevation with this #-srew beneath
-second lateral installation can be simply done by opening one or two of this #-screws inside
(pls see pics) and putting a shim or two between headlight and (in this case, red) cover.
I was able to adjust it for about 15 degrees left or right if neccessary. It's a lot, considered an normal incline of 1-2 degrees.
Takes some time, but household and cooking goes fast and there is plenty of spare time.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 01:11:55 AM »
I might purchase the 360° adjustable LED fixture prior to the next time I am going to refresh the brake fluid in the hidden reservoirs. A job that requires the removal of my special mirrors.
Getting these mirrors locked down again can take a few weeks and many troublesome rides. A job I'm not keen to repeat.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 11:45:02 AM »
@Stig,
yes, stripping all off is a chore, and not a nice one. Can imagine to tackle this long mirror stalks might be a challenge.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()