Author Topic: Longer trips on a scooter  (Read 954 times)

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
Longer trips on a scooter
« on: March 21, 2021, 07:22:25 PM »
I searched the forum topics for this, and found some info scattered among the hundreds of thousands of posts, so I thought, this being the start of the riding season, and me being a relatively new scooter owner, to ask some questions about trips on a scooter.  When I was riding my touring bikes, it was nothing to load up the bike and head out for two or three weeks.  A BMW touring bike has tons of room, including the saddle bags, trunk bag, tank bag, and duffles bungeed to the saddle bags if needed.  I could even pack camping gear into a waterproof bag and strap it across my rear seat.  For those who have taken long trips on a scoot, how do you pack?  I have a large GIVI trunk bag on my GV 250, but no saddles or a place for a tank bag.  Now I don't plan to take weeks long trips, but it would be interesting and hopefully, informative to hear how you do overnight or multi-day trips on a scooter.

Thanks.

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 07:29:22 PM by jak51 »

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
Re: Longer trips on a scooter
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 08:48:56 PM »
I had some aftermarket soft saddle bags that I used on my  my KLR 650.  I made one simple modification to keep them from sliding off my Like 150i.
I attached a strap across the front of the two bags that would slide over and below the seat to hold them in place.
Here's some cheap ones to play with.  They are not waterproof.

https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-766-Saddle-Bag/dp/B004Z1239G/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=scooter%2Bsaddle%2Bbags&qid=1616359300&sr=8-2&th=1
Like 150i ABS

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 08:55:17 PM »
Two Ortleib rubber bags on passeneger seat work for me,, Givi hump bags works,too, Givi E-46 box is for dog.  Too bad in US market there are not front luggage carrier for Kymco scooters.   I can/did stay out a month or so---carrying small tent and sleeping bag.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 09:12:36 PM »
Have you ever watched a video of people in some parts of Asia?  They pack a scooter like it's a pickup truck. Some use a scooter as the family car as well. Might get some ideas from that. 

I was never into camping (in a tent) and especially now that I'm older. I would probably take a couple of small waterproof duffle bags and bungee cord them to the seat along with my top case. I figure there's a laundry mat  along the way.  Probably would look for Motel 6 or 8 for budget accommodations. 

I would like to do just that around Lake Superior.  2300 kms or 1450 miles.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 09:15:16 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 09:49:39 PM »
I had some aftermarket soft saddle bags that I used on my  my KLR 650.  I made one simple modification to keep them from sliding off my Like 150i.
I attached a strap across the front of the two bags that would slide over and below the seat to hold them in place.
Here's some cheap ones to play with.  They are not waterproof.

https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-766-Saddle-Bag/dp/B004Z1239G/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=scooter%2Bsaddle%2Bbags&qid=1616359300&sr=8-2&th=1

Thanks for the suggestion.  I assume the flap that connects the two bags goes under the seat.  I saw other bags on Amazon that appear to be constructed the same, so I guess that's pretty much the norm.  Also saw some w other interesting storage ideas.

I will definitely NOT be camping.  I consider it roughing it nowadays when the motel/hotel room TV doesn't have a remote!  But if I do go out on a longer ride, I will do what I did when I was on a bigger bike.  Take a few days of clothes, and hit the lanudromat when things get ripe.  A group of us did the Lake Superior circle on bikes back in the late 90"s.  Thunder Bay was an awesome place to stay.  We stayed in cabins when we were stateside.  I think we took 3 or 4 days to do the loop.

And yep, I've see scooters used as delivery vans in Asia.  Not sure I want to carry that much stuff.  But the way they can pack the scoots is damn clever.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 09:53:04 PM by jak51 »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 11:07:19 PM »
See that white thing on the very back? That's a half-inch thick restaurant cutting board made into a carrier platform. Strapped 50 pound bags of dog food to that with bungees and rode home. Got a dog kennel box that attaches with two threaded knobs that will transport two 20 pound dogs or all the Walmart stuff you can..stuff in there!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 12:35:44 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I assume the flap that connects the two bags goes under the seat.  I saw other bags on Amazon that appear to be constructed the same, so I guess that's pretty much the norm.  Also saw some w other interesting storage ideas.

I will definitely NOT be camping.  I consider it roughing it nowadays when the motel/hotel room TV doesn't have a remote!  But if I do go out on a longer ride, I will do what I did when I was on a bigger bike.  Take a few days of clothes, and hit the lanudromat when things get ripe.  A group of us did the Lake Superior circle on bikes back in the late 90"s.  Thunder Bay was an awesome place to stay.  We stayed in cabins when we were stateside.  I think we took 3 or 4 days to do the loop.

And yep, I've see scooters used as delivery vans in Asia.  Not sure I want to carry that much stuff.  But the way they can pack the scoots is damn clever.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Jeff
jak 51 hope to do the same trip. Started a thread to see if there would be any interest in a similar ride.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 03:09:50 PM »
Also--remember you need serious professional quality riding gear for long trips--Rain Gear/stuff to keep you warm/ waterproof boots/many pairs of gloves/foam ear plugs, etc-----I like long trips on 2 wheels---2014 rode (Burgman 400 and Suzuki TU250).  to 49 states=fun, but not cheap.  Been at this since 1955.   Good Helmet, too.

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 09:06:50 PM »
Not too worried about riding gear, helmet, etc.  It's not like I haven't ridden much.  I've been in all 48 of the lower 48, plus Mexico and Canada on two wheels, so I'm pretty well equipped for riding.  Most curious about how one travels long distances and on overnight rides when storage is somewhat limited on a scooter versus a touring motorcycle.  Some good suggestions about that, which I greatly appreciate.  But thanks for reminding us of the importance of the right gear needed to ride prepared.

Jeff

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 12:59:21 PM »
I have taken multi day trips on several of my scooters.  It's pretty easy if I'm not camping but I have also done trips where I hauled along my camping gear.

Here's my Super 8 150 loaded up for a 5 day trip in the Blue Ridge mountains.  I stayed in motels so I didn't need that much stuff.  There's a one gallon gas can in the blue cooler on the floorboards.

My Smax loaded up for a three day camping trip:

My Aprilia Sport City 250 on a 5 day trip from Alabama to Northern Ohio.  I camped all but one night,

Touring is easy on My Majesty.  I did a three day trip with my wife on the back.  Almost all our stuff went under the seat.  We used the 56L tail trunk to store the layers we took off as the day heated up.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 04:45:43 PM »
You da man Klav.  Got it sussed there.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 08:30:07 PM »
Thanks for the photos.  Seeing is believing!  Really like the way you used all available space based on length of trip, and what you were planning to do on the trip - camp, motel, etc.  Using the floorboard never occurred to me.  I'm getting more and more comfortable with packing for a long trip.

Now here's another part to my original question.  What's it like to ride several hundred miles in a day on a scoot?  Doing a 1000+ day on my BMW touring bike was tough, but doable.  What about 200, 300 or more miles in a day on a scoot? 

Thanks.

Jeff

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 09:18:48 PM »
Thanks for the photos.  Seeing is believing!  Really like the way you used all available space based on length of trip, and what you were planning to do on the trip - camp, motel, etc.  Using the floorboard never occurred to me.  I'm getting more and more comfortable with packing for a long trip.

Now here's another part to my original question.  What's it like to ride several hundred miles in a day on a scoot?  Doing a 1000+ day on my BMW touring bike was tough, but doable.  What about 200, 300 or more miles in a day on a scoot? 

Thanks.

Jeff

That will be different depending on the scooter and also the rider.  I'll just answer for me.

I'm not an Iron butt rider.  When I was much younger I did a couple of 800 mile days but that's way behind me.  Now I typically do most of my riding on twisty back roads, the twistier the better.  When I was younger 300-700 mile days where common.  Now I typically do 200-300 mile days. 

When I did the 5 day tour on the Super 8 I averaged less than 200 miles per day.  It had a seat that was comfortable around town but sucked on trips.  I have done 300+ mile days on my Smax and Like 150i but I don't think I would want to do 400.  I did a 550 mile day on my sport city 250 but that was mostly interstate.  300 miles on the majesty is no problem.  I'm sure I could do much more I just haven't tried.  Like I said I mostly ride twisty back roads.

If you want more details on my trips I did ride reports.  Here's some links to those ride reports:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-long-way-home-huntsville-to-cleveland-on-a-250.803404/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/you-only-live-twice.1042598/page-46#post-36524498

https://advrider.com/f/threads/you-only-live-twice.1042598/page-48#post-41836341

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 09:25:45 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 09:24:34 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention.  I put a tailbox on all my scooters but do NOT use it to pack for a trip.  I leave with it empty except maybe a ball cap and extra pair of gloves.  First I don't want all that weight back there.  Second, I often use it to store layers as the day warms up and I take some off.  I also like to use it to store my helmet and gloves when I stop.  My majesty has a 56L Givi on it.  When I stop I can normally stick my helmet, gloves and jacket it there.  On my smaller scooter the helmet and jacket won't both fit. 

If you look at the pics you will notice that I used some small saddle bags on some of my scooters.  They didn't hold a lot but they did help.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 03:22:11 AM »
Thanks for the details of your longer rides.  I too have a large GIVI trunk bag.  It holds my helmet, gloves, and if I needed it to, my jacket.  So it probably is as large as the one you have.  I was looking at soft saddle bags that fit my GV 250.  Earlier in this thread, the Stansport saddle bags were suggested, and I saw a pair made by Chase Harper.  So, I think I can comfortably pack for a longer trip, based on your suggestions, as well as every one else who has chimed in.  How many miles a day is a concern, since my scoot is louder and vibrates more than my touring bike, so I was just curious to see if those factors cause fatigue earlier, and reduces the miles per day ridden on a scooter.  I don't anticipate doing more than 200 -250 miles in a day, so you've answered my question about that.  Thanks!

Jeff

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()