Author Topic: Longer trips on a scooter  (Read 950 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Longer trips on a scooter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2021, 08:29:55 AM »

Now here's another part to my original question.  What's it like to ride several hundred miles in a day on a scoot?  Doing a 1000+ day on my BMW touring bike was tough, but doable.  What about 200, 300 or more miles in a day on a scoot? 

Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Like you I guess, I used to reel off 500 mile days on the motorcycle and occasional 800 milers, even once 1,000 miles in one 24 hour period!

These days about 2-250 miles in a day hits a good balance be it bike or scooter.  Any more starts to feel like I’m enduring rather than enjoying it. As John G so aptly put it, “take your time.”
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2021, 10:22:30 AM »
Thanks Neil.  Appreciate the words of wisdom.  "enduring rather than enjoying."  That says it all!

Jeff

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2021, 12:09:57 PM »
Thanks Neil.  Appreciate the words of wisdom.  "enduring rather than enjoying."  That says it all!

Jeff
Could not agree more.  Back during my working career vacations and time off in general were limited so you had to squeeze what you could in the allotted time period.  Now that I'm retired I can take my time, no need to be in a hurry. Then you add age into the factory that adds a aditional element.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 03:02:26 PM »
I try to focus on quality rather than quantity when I ride.  I'd much rather ride a hundred miles of fun back roads than a thousand miles of boring interstate. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2021, 03:17:57 PM »
A small scooter can actually make a great long distance touring machine.  You just have to have a different dinset to make it work.   Some people even consider it cheating and not really touring but it works for me.  A couple of years ago I did some touring around NE Ohio on my Like 150i.

So I live in Alabama.  NE Ohio is a pretty long way for such a small scooter.  No problem, I have a truck and I ended up doing some great riding.  My ride report is here:  https://advrider.com/f/threads/full-throttle-touring-150-through-the-rocket-city.647784/page-115#post-37860841
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 03:39:00 PM »
Klav - I really like your pics from 2019.  I recognize a lot of the places you stopped at and photographed, especially CVNP, the Chagrin River area, Little Italy (I live about five miles from there), and many of the other shots.  Seems like you may have headed east to Ashtabula county for some covered bridges.  There's a great covered bridge tour there.

Thanks for posting the link.  And really good photos.

Jeff 

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 03:49:11 PM »
I grew up in Cleveland.  Going back and exploring the area on a scooter was really cool.  I'll be back in the area late August this year.  My dad passed away last year and we plan on scattering his ashes on Lake Erie.  I'm hoping to be able to haul or ride a scooter there so I can ride around the area some more.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 09:05:20 PM »
I grew up in Cleveland.  Going back and exploring the area on a scooter was really cool.  I'll be back in the area late August this year.  My dad passed away last year and we plan on scattering his ashes on Lake Erie.  I'm hoping to be able to haul or ride a scooter there so I can ride around the area some more.

Klav -  Sorry about your dad, and I hope his memorial goes well.  When the time grows closer, private message me and maybe we can do a ride or two together when you're in town.  I'm on the east side of CLE.

Jeff

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()