Author Topic: I don't leave home without it (these days)  (Read 499 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
I don't leave home without it (these days)
« on: March 23, 2021, 05:48:46 PM »
I do take-out for my coffee and sit at a sidewalk table near my scooter.
I ensure that I'm carrying Lysol spray for the table and chair - hand cleaner, a clean mask and my thermal mug. (& Red Sox hat!)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: I don't leave home without it (these days)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 06:11:18 PM »
smart to be prepared and safe!....but that glove makes your thermal mug look like a shotglass! Is that size...XXHuge?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 04:43:32 PM »
Ya don't mess with Stig Hawk, he's a big lad!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 07:16:50 PM »
Ya don't mess with Stig Hawk, he's a big lad!

Regarding my "size" > Pros: never got hassled during any of my hitch-hike crossings of the USA (try a stroll through 2AM Loredo, TX) or the many nights sleeping rough.

Con: I look like a circus bear on a tricycle when riding a scooter. Nothing off the rack fits. My new 14Wide tennis shoes from Amazon just hit the front door!

Worst memory relating to my size: During Army Medic training they put you in formation according to your size. Big guys up front, shortest in the last rank. Any training requiring a partner - you pair with the guy beside you.
I was paired with a nice kid from a small, struggling farm. Not much extra food there, I learned.
Well, the Army meal lines have no shortage of carbs ....or gravy. I watched with alarm as my partner grew a little every week....while I shrank in the Texas heat and humidity. All of our physical training just seemed to bulk him up.
I went from 220lbs to something like 170's. He had to be pushing 250 in our final weeks.
To "graduate" we had to pass a Physical Training course - the last of which was the "100 Yard Man Carry".

I guess they figured there might well be a time coming, in sunny S.E. Asia, when a medic would need to grab a fellow in a "fireman's carry" and remove him some distance from danger - or.... take him to lunch.

I will report that I did get my bulky partner across the finish line on that hot miserable Texas summer afternoon.... but he was rather worse for wear by the time I drug and kicked him across the line....in an elapsed time which might still be on the record books, so to speak.

Always wondered what happened to him - he was deathly repulsed by blood. I tried - but can recall only faces, not names of my classmates....and the medical training center at Ft Sam Houston cannot, or will not,  supply me with a roster of names from that summer - to cross-check for names on the Wall, in DC. All but a few were sent to Vietnam after graduation - but we were scattered throughout the country, most of us working alone with a unit.
BTW - the heat and humidity (& smell) in Vietnam when first exiting the plane was .....well, I returned home at 167lbs. (my wife later shared with me that, for her, for a few weeks, making love was a bit like hugging an "enthusiastic bag of corners"......until I put some weight on.)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 07:32:49 PM »

I returned home at 167lbs. (my wife later shared with me that, for her, for a few weeks, making love was a bit like hugging an "enthusiastic bag of corners"......until I put some weight on.)

Stig

Brilliant Tom!  And hats off to Mrs Tom for that description.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()