Author Topic: Purchasing used 2013 Downtown 300i, panel gap question.  (Read 865 times)

Snowy556

• View Profile
Purchasing used 2013 Downtown 300i, panel gap question.
« on: March 31, 2021, 03:00:33 PM »
Hi all,
I am looking at purchasing a used 2013 Downtown 300i with ~12,000 miles.
It seems that these hold up pretty well, so I'm not too concerned about the mileage, but what I am concerned about is a weird panel gap that appears to have been taped over at some point.
Is this common on this scooter? I am going to see it on Friday and I'm wondering what I should look at in general, and this issue specifically.

Images attached, thanks in advance!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Purchasing used 2013 Downtown 300i, panel gap question.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 07:57:37 PM »
Looks like a bit wide in comparison to the two DT300i machines that I have had. Well, I still have one but it's all tied down under a cover and I am too lazy to go out and uncover it! These body panels (Kymco Tupperware) are very precise and fit exactly. They are very difficult to take apart and more difficult to put back. The tape gumbo evidence is disgusting but WHY the previous needed to remove it is really important. Kymcos are near impossible to kill and the DT is very durable and technically advanced as well as reliable. Getting at the fuel pump/gage sender combo would require that panel to be removed. Ask questions. Learn things. We will wait...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Snowy556

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 08:33:49 PM »
Looks like a bit wide in comparison to the two DT300i machines that I have had. Well, I still have one but it's all tied down under a cover and I am too lazy to go out and uncover it! These body panels (Kymco Tupperware) are very precise and fit exactly. They are very difficult to take apart and more difficult to put back. The tape gumbo evidence is disgusting but WHY the previous needed to remove it is really important. Kymcos are near impossible to kill and the DT is very durable and technically advanced as well as reliable. Getting at the fuel pump/gage sender combo would require that panel to be removed. Ask questions. Learn things. We will wait...

That's my concern, I'm buying it from a guy who runs a small time dealership that mostly sells Harley's. He claims he didn't even notice it until I pointed it out.

I'm going to be test driving it Friday to feel it out and see it in person, I just wanted to confirm if this was a known issue with these downtowns, or something like that beforehand. I did some searching online to try and find panel gap issues, but couldn't find anything fruitful.

I appreciate your response Crossbolt, thanks!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 12:38:54 AM »
That's my concern, I'm buying it from a guy who runs a small time dealership that mostly sells Harley's. He claims he didn't even notice it until I pointed it out.

I'm going to be test driving it Friday to feel it out and see it in person, I just wanted to confirm if this was a known issue with these downtowns, or something like that beforehand. I did some searching online to try and find panel gap issues, but couldn't find anything fruitful.

I appreciate your response Crossbolt, thanks!
Keep us posted!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()