Author Topic: flashing brake lights  (Read 1146 times)

scooter freak

• View Profile
flashing brake lights
« on: April 10, 2021, 11:36:50 PM »
Installed the hyper brake light flashing system on my like 200 last week. can't thank Stig enough for that wiring diagram. great forum, keep up the good work!

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: flashing brake lights
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 04:02:59 PM »
any more detail on the install or pics for us? did you use a specific brand of brake light flasher? Does it flash your own light or is there an add on light(s)?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 05:34:01 PM »
tailBlazer pulsing brake light bulbs are plug and play. Used them on Honda motorcycle and Burgman scooter. Not cheap - but requires nothing more than popping them in!
I think they also make a degrading bulb light for braking.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooter freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 11:58:01 PM »
the brand was hyper lights. will post pics soon. they flash for 5 seconds when you apply the brakes. little LED's next to the license plate but you can mount them anywhere. I used the wiring diagram that Stig entered in the Like 200 section, worked perfect, saved me a lot of time

scooter freak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 12:49:10 AM »
here is the "hyper brake lights" I installed. they flash for 5 seconds when the brakes are applied and then stay on as brake lights. hoping to grab the attention of someone who is not.

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 01:54:33 AM »
tailBlazer pulsing brake light bulbs are plug and play. Used them on Honda motorcycle and Burgman scooter. Not cheap - but requires nothing more than popping them in!
I think they also make a degrading bulb light for braking.
Stig
Stig -

What's the name of the brand of pulsing light?  Hyperlites are a kit, similar to what I had on my BMW motorcycle..  If there's a plug in bulb, I'd really like to know more about that.

Thanks.

Jeff

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 11:36:41 AM »
Anyone have any idea how to track down the size bulb used in the GV 250 tail light.  Or what the actual bulb number is?  I know the Kymco part number is 34906-KCP-9000, but that's great if you're a Kymco dealer.  I really want to know if the bulb is an 1157 or 2157 or whatever the correct aftermarket bulb model is.  I've spent the last hour searching online, but have come up with no answer.

Thanks!

Jeff

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 01:35:40 PM »
Are they legal?   I prefer to pay attention to what is ahead.    Over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles, hit once from rear by woman on phone who ran 2 stop signs----no amount of flashing light would have would have gotten her attention.   Bumped in toll booth in Japan, no damage to bike or car (Saab).

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 01:54:42 PM »
Stig -

What's the name of the brand of pulsing light?  Hyperlites are a kit, similar to what I had on my BMW motorcycle..  If there's a plug in bulb, I'd really like to know more about that.

Thanks.

Jeff

sure - the plug-and-play, plug-in bulb is easy. I went that way.
I went out and found the old package of the bulbs for my Burgman in my parts drawer.
There are videos to show how they work. They blink a few times as you touch the brake lever and then settle to a full on after a couple seconds.
What bulb to use? >> match the bulb type you have in your scooter. Remove it, install the new TAILBLAZER bulb. No messing about - the bulb base has a gizmo in it to make it do the pulsing thing. Cheap?...no - but it works great and comes with a spare bulb (which as you can see I never needed to use -guess I forgot to give these spares to the new owner :)

I DO recommend the Halogen version over the LED version. The halogen works better in almost all reflectors - than does the LED. Halogen looks much brighter!

Ebay and amazon for the part - or you can try to wade through the Kisan trailBlazer web site.
Just match your scoot's bulb type/number ....buy it and plug it in!

I bought the two-bulb packet for the Burgman's twin brake lights. They do their thing simultaneously.

Honestly don't know why guys go through any other system - these things work great.

Stig
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:56:52 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 01:58:54 PM »
Are they legal?   I prefer to pay attention to what is ahead.    Over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles, hit once from rear by woman on phone who ran 2 stop signs----no amount of flashing light would have would have gotten her attention.   Bumped in toll booth in Japan, no damage to bike or car (Saab).

I believe flashing brake lights are legal in Ohio.  But pulsing headlights are another story.  I was an MSF instructor for a number of years, and we always emphasized to do whatever you can to be seen when you're on two wheels.  Use your headlight even if it's not required in your state; do nothing to obscure your lights; wear bright clothing, etc.  IMHO, a flashing rear brake light - preferably  a BRIGHT flashing rear brake light - is another very good way of being seen by motorists following behind you.  Of course you keep your eyes on the road, ahead and to the sides of you, and even behind you when you check your rearview mirrors every thirty seconds or so, but it's really critical that a two-wheeler does whatever he/she can to be seen from all directions.

Jeff

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 02:02:09 PM »
Stig -

Thanks!  I appreciate the info.  Off to Amazon, eBay or wherever...

Jeff

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 02:03:55 PM »
I believe flashing brake lights are legal in Ohio.  But pulsing headlights are another story.  I was an MSF instructor for a number of years, and we always emphasized to do whatever you can to be seen when you're on two wheels.  Use your headlight even if it's not required in your state; do nothing to obscure your lights; wear bright clothing, etc.  IMHO, a flashing rear brake light - preferably  a BRIGHT flashing rear brake light - is another very good way of being seen by motorists following behind you.  Of course you keep your eyes on the road, ahead and to the sides of you, and even behind you when you check your rearview mirrors every thirty seconds or so, but it's really critical that a two-wheeler does whatever he/she can to be seen from all directions.

Jeff

Yep - aren't we taught to flash our brakes a couple of times when stopping from speed in bad weather?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 02:34:42 PM »
You are correct, sir.  We always taught new riders and riders in our Experienced Rider Course to pump the brakes several times before coming to a full stop.  This was to alert those behind the rider that there was a bike in front of them, and to alert the driver behind that the bike was coming to a stop.

Jeff

scooter freak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 12:02:53 AM »
all I know is that they are called hyper lights. they were purchased through our local BMW dealer. didn't save the package,sorry

amf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 03:22:04 PM »
I am using the Smartturn system on my Xciting S 400i. https://safer-turn.com/smart-brake-module/

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()