Author Topic: Average cost of Like 150i ABS first maintenance  (Read 1323 times)

David L.

• View Profile
Average cost of Like 150i ABS first maintenance
« on: April 20, 2021, 03:11:35 AM »
Hello Friends,
Do anyone have ideas on the average cost of Like 150i ABS first maintenance? I live in northern Virginia.

Per the owner's manual, it requires following items:
1. oil change
2. transmission gear oil change
3. valve clearance check and adjustment (if necessary)
Kymco Like 150i ABS 2020

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Average cost of Like 150i ABS first maintenance
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 04:19:58 AM »
David, I think you'll find most of us on the forum perform all of our own maintenance. The first service on your scoot is pretty easy to do yourself. If you pay a shop to do it....a few hundred dollars?

An engine oil and gear oil change is simple and inexpensive and a valve check is free (if done yourself). You'll buy 1 quart of engine oil and 1 quart of gear oil plus a new crush washer for your gear oil drain bolt. Well, you'll need a drain pan, some type of syringe to inject the gear oil, some tools........

lots of 'how to' videos on youtube if you're feeling adventurous. (Maybe not your exact scoot but most of these are very similar).
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 11:29:58 AM »
Call the dealer and ask what the cost of  first maintenance on the bike.  Materials will be pretty cheap.  Labor may run about $75 - $100 per hour.  But your dealer may have a fixed, all inclusive cost for that particular service.

So, call the dealer.

Jeff

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 11:51:04 AM »
My experience----most shops just change oils, don't bother with valves if no noise and maybe over fill engine oil.....and charge way too much.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 04:59:32 PM »
In 2013 my dealer asked $370 for the first service on my LIKE200i.
Most of that was labor.
The feeling I got standing there at the service desk was that darn few owners (if any) brought their LIKE's back for any kind of service unless they couldn't get it to start.
My point being that the mechanics had no clear idea how long that service would take....and it wasn't all their fault!

I did pay them to swap my Kendas for a set of City Grips a couple of weeks later.
They did a very good job of it.

Hopefully your dealer is experienced in servicing your LIKE150 - and will give you a firm price and most likely will do a proper job of it for you :) Most dealers do.
Do let us know what you find out.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

David L.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 12:15:58 AM »
In 2013 my dealer asked $370 for the first service on my LIKE200i.
Most of that was labor.
The feeling I got standing there at the service desk was that darn few owners (if any) brought their LIKE's back for any kind of service unless they couldn't get it to start.
My point being that the mechanics had no clear idea how long that service would take....and it wasn't all their fault!

I did pay them to swap my Kendas for a set of City Grips a couple of weeks later.
They did a very good job of it.

Hopefully your dealer is experienced in servicing your LIKE150 - and will give you a firm price and most likely will do a proper job of it for you :) Most dealers do.
Do let us know what you find out.
Stig

Tom,
Thanks for reply. My concern is also the mechanics have no idea and past experience on serving a Like 150i.
Kymco Like 150i ABS 2020

David L.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 12:18:43 AM »
David, I think you'll find most of us on the forum perform all of our own maintenance. The first service on your scoot is pretty easy to do yourself. If you pay a shop to do it....a few hundred dollars?

An engine oil and gear oil change is simple and inexpensive and a valve check is free (if done yourself). You'll buy 1 quart of engine oil and 1 quart of gear oil plus a new crush washer for your gear oil drain bolt. Well, you'll need a drain pan, some type of syringe to inject the gear oil, some tools........

lots of 'how to' videos on youtube if you're feeling adventurous. (Maybe not your exact scoot but most of these are very similar).

Iahawk,
Thanks for your reply. I am confident with the oil and filter changes, but had no past experience on checking/adjusting valve clearance. Yes I would think more than two hundreds dollars would be too much to me for a scooter first maintenance.
Kymco Like 150i ABS 2020

David L.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 12:19:38 AM »
Call the dealer and ask what the cost of  first maintenance on the bike.  Materials will be pretty cheap.  Labor may run about $75 - $100 per hour.  But your dealer may have a fixed, all inclusive cost for that particular service.

So, call the dealer.

Jeff

jak51,
Thanks. I would call them for a quote first before making decisions.
Kymco Like 150i ABS 2020

David L.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 12:21:51 AM »
My experience----most shops just change oils, don't bother with valves if no noise and maybe over fill engine oil.....and charge way too much.

John?
Thanks for your reply. You remind me one of my past bad experience with a dealer, they overfilled the oil...
Kymco Like 150i ABS 2020

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 10:04:41 AM »
@David L,
what  Jak51 said, call in for an offer and then decide what you want to do.
In my experience most of companies charge way too much for that little they really do. Okay, they have to pay taxes, mechanics, mortgage, etc. But not from my money. If you are just a little bit handy, and have some tools on hand, it's the best way to get to know your ride. I've seen BMW (pls forgive me) boxer machine riders, who did not know (at newer 1100/1200 models) where the sparkplugs are. So, and if you have any question, I think everyone in this forum is happy to help.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 03:41:15 PM »
Further---after over 75 new bikes/scooters----Is the first paid inspection even necessary?    Just bought new 2021 Chev Spark-----dealer and book says not necessary---just drive it until oil change time at 3-5,000 miles.  That is what I shall do.  If there is another new scooter---will change oil soon and just ride.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 02:12:16 AM »
I did the initial oil change as required.  At 1000 miles I checked the valves and they were exactly in spec.  I didn't check them again until around 11,000 miles and they did need adjustment then.  The valve check and adjustment on the Like 150i was way more complicated than my Super 8 150 was.  I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you have some experience working on scooters.  I also have a lift.  It would have been a real PITA without the lift.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »
I did the initial oil change as required.  At 1000 miles I checked the valves and they were exactly in spec.  I didn't check them again until around 11,000 miles and they did need adjustment then.  The valve check and adjustment on the Like 150i was way more complicated than my Super 8 150 was.  I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you have some experience working on scooters.  I also have a lift.  It would have been a real PITA without the lift.
Klav,
I'm so interested in the guts of the 2nd gen. Like (the 150i) I've toyed with the idea of purchasing the cyclepedia manual for it.
Anyway, my question is - what makes the valve inspection so hard on these new Likes? Is it the panel removal, or lack of space for your hands or tools?
Very curious here.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 12:49:25 PM »
Klav,
I'm so interested in the guts of the 2nd gen. Like (the 150i) I've toyed with the idea of purchasing the cyclepedia manual for it.
Anyway, my question is - what makes the valve inspection so hard on these new Likes? Is it the panel removal, or lack of space for your hands or tools?
Very curious here.
Stig

It's all the plastic you have to remove.  You have to remove the floorboard and that is pretty complicated.  Once you get everything out of the way, the valve adjustment itself is easy.  On the Super 8 150 there was no complicated panel removal.   
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 01:08:19 PM »
Hello Friends,
Do anyone have ideas on the average cost of Like 150i ABS first maintenance? I live in northern Virginia.

Per the owner's manual, it requires following items:
1. oil change
2. transmission gear oil change
3. valve clearance check and adjustment (if necessary)

1and 2 you can do it yourself for much cheaper. Just buy the right oil and parts and be careful not to overtighten or overfill anything. 3 can be done much later.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()