Author Topic: Clutch Judder  (Read 1422 times)

Mezo

• View Profile
    • "The Ténéré Forum"
Clutch Judder
« on: April 26, 2021, 05:51:02 AM »
Hello everyone,

Been riding motorbikes all my life (over 45 years) been riding scooters only two, my first was a little 50cc Chinese Vespa thingy which handled quite well but was not fast enough.
I have now upgraded to an Agility Carry 125 & love its practicality & so far reliability, i 'carry' the carry on the back of my motorhome so when i`m parked up i can go do my shopping.

So its a 2017 & its done just over 5000km and it was a one owner bike, i have changed the engine oil & transmission oil & chucked in a new spark plug whilst i was there. I have noticed recently clutch judder which from reading is common & i am riding in a manner to overcome this problem (gunning it)  ;D

But i`m a fussy prick & i would like to fix the issue & reading Stigs posts i think he or someone mentions open cooling bells to not only dissipate some heat but clutch dust also, seems logical to me as a motorbike guy. So what are your recommendations on cooling bell, clutch & a thing that`s new to me? variators??

Whilst i`m in there i would also like to change the drive belt so any recommendations on good ones (not cheap crap) and also is there a one stop shop where i can order EVERYTHING from in one go? i am located in Australia but there doesn't seem to be any decent scooter shops that sell the lot, i may even invest in a better breathing exhaust pipe & talking of breathing the standard air filter is crap & i cannot seem to find a K&N replacement? so i`m guessing they don`t make one? (not a cone filter one that`s fits the OEM airbox).

TIA.

Mezo.

"A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion"

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Judder
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 12:29:38 PM »
Welcome, Mezo!  As one who has also dealt with the clutch shudder a number of times I can tell you the correct fix is to sand the glaze off your clutch pads and clutch bell while making sure everything is clean inside the cvt cover.....and give it plenty of throttle on take off.

Parts are usually best if they are Kymco OEM. Your local kymco dealer(s) should be able to order any part you need.

You are correct in that there isn't a lot of aftermarket performance part support for our scoots. It seems the 50cc scoots (2 stroke, especially) get all the love.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 02:45:13 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Kymco has provided openings for drawing air in and venting heat out in the belt cover.
The CVT system (Belt, clutch pads, clutch bell, rollers and pulleys) is designed to survive the heat generated in a scooter every day.
I buffed my clutch pads (LIKE w/163cc A/C engine) several years ago and changed the way I leave from a stop. I don't butcher the clutch, but I am 'brisk' with the throttle roll-on.....and have had a 'smooth' scooter ever since.
Yes, stick with Kymco parts.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 01:58:40 AM »

So its a 2017 & its done just over 5000km and it was a one owner bike, i have changed the engine oil & transmission oil & chucked in a new spark plug whilst i was there. I have noticed recently clutch judder which from reading is common & i am riding in a manner to overcome this problem (gunning it)  ;D

But i`m a fussy prick & i would like to fix the issue & reading Stigs posts i think he or someone mentions open cooling bells to not only dissipate some heat but clutch dust also, seems logical to me as a motorbike guy. So what are your recommendations on cooling bell, clutch & a thing that`s new to me? variators??

Whilst i`m in there i would also like to change the drive belt so any recommendations on good ones (not cheap crap) and also is there a one stop shop where i can order EVERYTHING from in one go? i am located in Australia but there doesn't seem to be any decent scooter shops that sell the lot, i may even invest in a better breathing exhaust pipe & talking of breathing the standard air filter is crap & i cannot seem to find a K&N replacement? so i`m guessing they don`t make one? (not a cone filter one that`s fits the OEM airbox).

TIA.

Mezo.

The clutch on my Agilty also shudders from time to time.
All you need to do is to remove the bell and clean the clutch pads with sandpaper.
Problem solved.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Mezo

• View Profile
    • "The Ténéré Forum"
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 05:17:03 AM »
Parts are usually best if they are Kymco OEM. Your local kymco dealer(s) should be able to order any part you need.

You would think eh, my local stealership quoted me $115 for an OEM belt & cannot get one for between 4 & 6 weeks, hence why i don`t bother with Australian suppliers as they are always a rip off or they try to sell you cheap Chinese parts at OEM prices. (welcome to Australia) so id rather find a one stop shop overseas.

Does anyone know the OEM part number for the belt or point me to a fiche please, i have seen JT brand belts from the UK any good?

Mezo.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 10:46:57 AM »
@Mezo,
maybe this company could help....
(pls see pics)
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Mezo

• View Profile
    • "The Ténéré Forum"
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 11:23:37 AM »
@Mezo,
maybe this company could help....
(pls see pics)

Cheers i am on their site now but cannot find my model? possibly because i have an Aussie import & they are listing euro models? from reading my chassis number i have an LC2U which i believe is the GY6 motor.

Mezo.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
if your current belt is the OEM belt it will be stamped with the full Kymco part number. That's one way to check it.

Just did  the conversion...$115 AUD = $89 USD. Not a terrible price...I paid $55 USD ($70 AUD) at my local dealer a few weeks ago.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 01:53:50 PM »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Mezo

• View Profile
    • "The Ténéré Forum"
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 05:19:59 AM »
if your current belt is the OEM belt it will be stamped with the full Kymco part number. That's one way to check it.

Good point, so i took the cover off to get the number & whilst i was in there i had a look at the clutch & sure enough they was all glazed over, didn't have any sandpaper handy so i used a stanley blade to remove the glaze & blew the dust out of the bell, i will get myself a flapper wheel for next time to take the glaze off in there also.

Thanks for the input/help lads the scoot runs lovely (no juddering) and now i can order a spare belt, nothing wrong with this one i just want to have a spare handy in the motorhome as i rely on the scoot & getting parts in Australia can be problematic (4-6 weeks back-order kind of problem)  >:(

I will be posting another topic but its not clutch related & i like to keep threads topic related.

Mezo.  8)

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 05:31:38 AM »
Cheers i am on their site now but cannot find my model? possibly because i have an Aussie import & they are listing euro models? from reading my chassis number i have an LC2U which i believe is the GY6 motor.

Mezo.

Here is a catalog of all the spare parts for the Agility Carry 125cc. https://www.bike-parts-kymco.uk/kymco-motorcycle/125-SCOOTER/AGILITY/AGILITY_125_CARRY_4T_EURO_III/2
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 05:41:47 AM by mousejunks »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 05:36:08 AM »
You would think eh, my local stealership quoted me $115 for an OEM belt & cannot get one for between 4 & 6 weeks, hence why i don`t bother with Australian suppliers as they are always a rip off or they try to sell you cheap Chinese parts at OEM prices. (welcome to Australia) so id rather find a one stop shop overseas.

Does anyone know the OEM part number for the belt or point me to a fiche please, i have seen JT brand belts from the UK any good?

Mezo.

It's $200 AUD a belt for my DT350, it was recently $120 before covid.

I'm in Australia too and it's always a hassle to get any Kymco specific part. I just get the fluids, spark plugs and filters here, but other parts e.g. drive belt, brake pads, transmission parts, fairings, electronics from overseas, such as Taiwan Big Scooter Shop, eBay or bike-parts-kymco UK.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Mezo

• View Profile
    • "The Ténéré Forum"
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 08:33:59 AM »
I'm in Australia too and it's always a hassle to get any Kymco specific part. I just get the fluids, spark plugs and filters here, but other parts e.g. drive belt, brake pads, transmission parts, fairings, electronics from overseas, such as Taiwan Big Scooter Shop, eBay or bike-parts-kymco UK.

Cheers Mouse, yep i have e-mailed bike-parts-kymco.uk/ this arvo with my chassis number & the belt number so awaiting their response.

Mezo.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()