Author Topic: AK550  (Read 744 times)

Steeldragon1

• View Profile
AK550
« on: May 08, 2021, 01:07:55 PM »
Just ordered my AK, with any luck it will be here by June. Had a Yamaha Majesty 400 few years back and was very happy, ran like a top for 6 years and 52K miles. Good to be back in the scooter scene!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: AK550
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 01:37:06 PM »
Just ordered my AK, with any luck it will be here by June. Had a Yamaha Majesty 400 few years back and was very happy, ran like a top for 6 years and 52K miles. Good to be back in the scooter scene!
Welcome back! This be the place!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 03:56:08 PM »
Congrats. Hope you get it before riding season is mostly gone.

Getting dealers to order anything around here is like pulling chicken teeth.
Of all the dealers within a day ride, I got one (Adams Motorsports in Montgomery) to order an AK 550 but he said he doesn't know which color is coming.
I'm so tempted to do a fly/ride type deal where someone actually has one of these bikes in stock. But I'm really wanting to support a dealer that works with me.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 08:33:32 PM »
Congrats. Hope you get it before riding season is mostly gone.

Getting dealers to order anything around here is like pulling chicken teeth.
Of all the dealers within a day ride, I got one (Adams Motorsports in Montgomery) to order an AK 550 but he said he doesn't know which color is coming.
I'm so tempted to do a fly/ride type deal where someone actually has one of these bikes in stock. But I'm really wanting to support a dealer that works with me.
Do they offer this scooter in the USA in a variety of colors?
Seems a lot of manufacturers change the color each year - so you might be able to choose a color by selecting a specific model year.
If it's a low volume model - it's probably catch as catch can....for year or color.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 08:39:09 PM »
This is the first year in USA of it's 3 years in production. It is offered in 2 colors in the USA.
Space Gray which is a gloss gray. Then a Matt Gray Crystal which is like a matt silver.
More people talking (so more info) about this on ADVRider and Maxi-scooter forums than here on the Kymco forum.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 11:31:12 PM »
This is the first year in USA of it's 3 years in production. It is offered in 2 colors in the USA.
Space Gray which is a gloss gray. Then a Matt Gray Crystal which is like a matt silver.
More people talking (so more info) about this on ADVRider and Maxi-scooter forums than here on the Kymco forum.

Tru dat!

Hoping they'll keep showing up over here more than one year. That would increase the chances I'll end up with one in my garage. Nearest dealer worth anything is 2 hours away (125 miles via super slab). I think they're OK since a long time co-worker keeps going to them from here for service and replacement of his BMW bikes.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 01:27:17 AM »
hey, rjs, are you talking about Sun and Fun in Iowa City? They're my local shop and really good guys.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Hunt9506

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 02:25:26 AM »
I Ordered my AK 550 about 4 months ago. Still waiting !!!

Dealer blames it on Covid, said that Kymco USA has 3 or 4 ships in LA that can't be unloaded?

I don't know what to believe. It's frustrating

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 10:59:58 AM »
I Ordered my AK 550 about 4 months ago. Still waiting !!!

Dealer blames it on Covid, said that Kymco USA has 3 or 4 ships in LA that can't be unloaded?

I don't know what to believe. It's frustrating
I wouldn't doubt it. My fav dealer here says the same thing. Said if they hadn't had a big surplus of ATV's, they would have went out of business.
Their last shipment was held in N.C. and they rented a truck and picked up the inventory themselves.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 01:29:44 PM »
My dealer in
Dalton GA has sold two 550's already---pretty good in dead scooter market

NomadCF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 06:31:38 PM »
I've been waiting only since April 14. But the lack of an ETA flat out sucks. And while I completely understand the difference between shipping something from a warehouse and having to build and ship it. Its still frustrating that I can get a pretty reliable delivery eta on a small 5$ item from AliExpress but I can't get one on a 10k vehicle.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 06:49:07 PM »
I've been waiting only since April 14. But the lack of an ETA flat out sucks. And while I completely understand the difference between shipping something from a warehouse and having to build and ship it. Its still frustrating that I can get a pretty reliable delivery eta on a small 5$ item from AliExpress but I can't get one on a 10k vehicle.

I'm no bike-buying expert, but based on everything I read on forums such as this, I would not be keen on ordering a new bike through a local dealer, especially in this market. And it has nothing to do with the dealer; it's just that the manufacturers are in complete disarray when it comes to delivering inventory. If I have money for something I want, I am willing to travel to get it. Would much rather spend even a whole weekend driving and trailering a bike home than putting down a deposit and letting someone else hold my money (and tie up the rest that I still have) while getting nothing in return. If you can get your deposit back from the dealer and travel to get a bike that's in stock somewhere else, that might be worth considering. Otherwise, you might end up getting your brand new scooter in October and waiting until spring of 2022 to finally ride it.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Hunt9506

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 10:21:19 PM »
any NEW news from the Dealers?

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 12:04:45 AM »
hey, rjs, are you talking about Sun and Fun in Iowa City? They're my local shop and really good guys.

Yep, them's the guys. Good to hear from a Kymco owner.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()