Author Topic: battery size problem  (Read 3795 times)

pttdds

• View Profile
battery size problem
« on: May 10, 2021, 06:41:14 PM »
Twice now I have ordered a replacement battery for my 2016 Kymco Downtown 300i scooter and got the wrong size - physically too big .
Both times the battery was listed by the seller, Battery Clerk, as the appropriate size battery.
Where can I find and order the correct size?

So far I am still nursing the original battery along with lots of trickle charging, but that is not going to last much longer.
Don

Grew up riding dirt bikes in Idaho.  Have usually had a two wheeler around.  Currently 2016 Kymco Downtown 300i.  Limited mechanical skills.  Favorite book; Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.+

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: battery size problem
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 07:14:24 PM »
Ya gotta check the inches/mm's from each supplier. See how the original fits to find if there is any clearance you can tolerate then only consider the brands that are equal or smaller. My next one will be a Yuasa for my Downtown.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 07:32:21 PM »
Yeah, measure your battery - and go to a fitment chart, like
https://www.yuasabatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020_Application_Guide_File.pdf

Match the YUASA size that fits - and with the most Ah and CCA. Order from a dealer or Amazon, eBay.

My LIKE came with an 8Ah battery - but a 14Ah battery fits easily!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 08:11:33 PM »
@pttdds,
AND, if it would come in your mind to put a HighTech Lithium Iones battery in your scoot...
It's not better than a normal  lead-acid battery, weaker during cold spells than a normal one and more expensive. But saves a few kilos of weight, which is not really relevant on a scoot. I wanted to know.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 10:11:37 AM »
Try your dealer, OEM stuff fits and works!

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 10:26:00 AM »
Try your dealer, OEM stuff fits and works!

Yuasa or MotoBatt for me. Maybe SSB or Katana as well.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 10:00:00 PM »
Ya gotta check the inches/mm's from each supplier. See how the original fits to find if there is any clearance you can tolerate then only consider the brands that are equal or smaller. My next one will be a Yuasa for my Downtown.
May have to back up on that Yuasa threat. My Chrome battery seems to be doing well after three years in service (May 5 2018 start) showing 12.66 volts no load and traditional two-revolution starts. Chrome claims 175 cca and is undoubtedly a china battery but seems a good one. Cheapo at 36 bucks or thereabouts.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 04:05:08 PM »
May have to back up on that Yuasa threat. My Chrome battery seems to be doing well after three years in service (May 5 2018 start) showing 12.66 volts no load and traditional two-revolution starts. Chrome claims 175 cca and is undoubtedly a china battery but seems a good one. Cheapo at 36 bucks or thereabouts.
Crossbolt have been using Chrome batteries in several Kymco scooters, no way can you beat the price for a AGM. I did go with 3 of Bikemaster AGM'S true gel for the FI 500's.

PTTDDS- did you check the battery tray for a spacer block?  Someone used a 12 instead of a 14 battery in one of my used Kymco's and used spacer blocks to make up the difference.  They are dense foam that have a sticky side that stick to the sides of the compartment and bottom.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 04:06:50 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 07:54:51 PM »
Crossbolt have been using Chrome batteries in several Kymco scooters, no way can you beat the price for a AGM. I did go with 3 of Bikemaster AGM'S true gel for the FI 500's.

PTTDDS- did you check the battery tray for a spacer block?  Someone used a 12 instead of a 14 battery in one of my used Kymco's and used spacer blocks to make up the difference.  They are dense foam that have a sticky side that stick to the sides of the compartment and bottom.
Good recommendation but no, did not check. OEM battery had a little clearance and the Chrome AGM was REAL snug! Will have to check for spacers like you described next time the tub is out. Be great to have a -14 in there!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 08:27:31 PM »
Good recommendation but no, did not check. OEM battery had a little clearance and the Chrome AGM was REAL snug! Will have to check for spacers like you described next time the tub is out. Be great to have a -14 in there!
Never owned a 300 so not familiar with them. The largest that will fit in the GV 250 is a 12 and it's very snug as well.  The Xciting's use a 14 and one of the Xicting  250'S I purchased  had spacers and a 12 in it.

One of the Bikemaster  AGM'S true gel I replaced because of age (2013) is still starting my riding mower, not bad for a nine year old battery.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 08:31:24 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 02:28:53 AM »
Of late I've ordered my batteries through Amazon. What was nice was there's a field where I could enter my bike's (2013 DT) make and model. After that when I picked a battery I would get a message that said if the brand would or would not fit my bike.

So far no problems.

-Wolf

Jamesx03

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 04:52:44 PM »
I went to autozone yesterday and asked for a Bs9 Moped battery and they had it there and gave it to me right away it was easy.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 05:13:08 AM »
No need for lithium. Owned both the 300i and 350i over 100,000km. AGM is the most cost-effective and reliable. Some AGMs are better than others, but not measurable on a day-to-day basis when you're just using your scooter normally.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

spikebites

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 09:34:06 PM »
Can someone please link me a battery from amazon or ebay that fits in a 2014 Downtown 300i

I'm not looking for anything high performance. I just want something reliable and works.  My DT300i needs to be trickle charged a lot in order to start every time I ride now.  So I will just replace the battery

Thank you !

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 01:07:36 AM »
Remove and measure your current battery.
Take measurements to Walmart,  auto parts store, Amazon. ....buy best you can afford.
Work from measurement,  not a chart for sure results.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()