Author Topic: NSR: airplane safety system!  (Read 397 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
NSR: airplane safety system!
« on: May 13, 2021, 01:05:15 PM »
This is a new one on me!
A Cirrus SR22 single engine private plane recently deployed its stock parachute accessory to reach land safely after a mid-air collision with another airplane.
Apparently this is an expensive plane with its parachute system, which has been deployed in emergencies some 45 times - saving numerous lives.

Crazy - reminds me of GoldWing airbags. If we had a launch system to drag us into the air - to float down - before an impending collision....? (except >> most rider accidents are the single vehicle "rider doing something stupid" variety -  ;)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: NSR: airplane safety system!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 02:21:30 PM »
Someone cooked up this airplane parachute system in the 70's when I was starting to fly. Didn't make sense then and doubtful it makes any more sense now. One of the main objectives land, sea and air is not to collide with anything unless you really want to. Engines quit or can quit. Pilot has a plan or should have. To pop a parachute just cause your engine quit is nutz considering how well most planes and even helicopters can glide.

My opinion now based on 5000+ hours and over 12000 landings (sounds like John Grinsel!) is that the parachute for the plane may be useful in some circumstances but mainly is a marketing scheme and extra weight and expense. God says when you go home.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
Re: NSR: airplane safety system!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 03:55:36 AM »
I've never flown a Cirrus, but always thought that parachute idea was totally cool.  Just read the list of "saves" published by the Owners Association: https://www.cirruspilots.org/Safety/CAPS-Event-History

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()