Author Topic: Oficially Licensed  (Read 998 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Oficially Licensed
« on: May 17, 2021, 01:45:45 PM »
Well guys, as of Saturday morning, I am now an officially licensed motorcycle operator in Pennsylvania. You might recall that after my recent scooter purchase, I had said I was going to take one of the state motorcycle safety courses that also included a waiver of the driving test requirement at the DMV.

Well, long story shot, every single MC safety class in the state is COMPLETELY BOOKED. Seems the pandemic has made riding so popular there is a wave of new riders and not enough slots to accommodate them in the training classes. So, with the 15-hour safety class not an option, I simply made an appointment with the local DMV office to take my "motorcycle skills test" and have my permit privileges upgraded to a full motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license.

The "test" consisted of exactly two items:

1. Making three figure 8s inside a painted box without putting your foot down on the ground, and,
2. Weaving in and out of some cones, accelerating out of them and then coming to a quick stop.

It literally took me two minutes to complete the test, and within another 10 minutes, I had my update card in hand and was on my way.

Still would have been nice to get some pro training, but at this point, there isn't much incentive to take the basic course. They do offer an intermediate-level class, so perhaps after riding this season, I'll look into that for 2022 and see if there are some spaces available.

Closing this out with a gratuitous pic of my scoot. Honda did not see fit to include any body decorations on the U.S. version of the ADV 150, so I ordered some OEM Honda decals from the Thailand version and installed them this past weekend. I felt like the plain black/silver color scheme needed just a little "something" and was very pleased with how this turned out.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 01:47:55 PM by pa-outdoorsman »
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Oficially Licensed
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 01:58:30 PM »
Wow! That's a 150?!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 02:25:26 PM »
Wow! That's a 150?!

Indeed. Honda has designed something pretty cool, more of less on the PCX platform (shares the same engine) but with more rugged styling and some modest "off-road" capability.

You can see full specs on the Honda website here if you're interested: https://powersports.honda.com/street/scooter/adv150?year=2021
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 06:49:14 PM »
Wouww,   this decals really give it some pep..., not too loud, just right.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 08:16:40 PM »
Grats and nice scooter!

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 11:23:29 PM »
Grats and nice scooter!

Dean

Thanks! I see you are from Providence, RI. I grew up in Cumberland.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Beaker99

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 12:18:05 AM »
That's probably the best looking 150 I've ever seen. Very nice.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 02:10:16 AM »
That's probably the best looking 150 I've ever seen. Very nice.

Wow! That's an awesome compliment, and pretty neat getting it from someone in New Zealand. Does Honda offer the ADV 150 there?
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 08:15:30 AM »
Nice lookin scoot improved still further by the decals!

In all the excitement of riding it, don’t forget to book the intermediate training, you’ll not regret doing it.  I did similar here in the UK and even went on to become an instructor for a few years. One of the est biking-related things I ever did.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 09:01:42 AM »
Nice lookin scoot improved still further by the decals!

In all the excitement of riding it, don’t forget to book the intermediate training, you’ll not regret doing it.  I did similar here in the UK and even went on to become an instructor for a few years. One of the est biking-related things I ever did.
My cousin in Canada use to be a motorcycle safety instructor.

When a good friend's son bought a motorcycle I offered to pay for a  motorcycle safety course  for him. He took the course and declined reimbursement.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:09:49 AM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 09:06:52 AM »
Indeed. Honda has designed something pretty cool, more of less on the PCX platform (shares the same engine) but with more rugged styling and some modest "off-road" capability.

You can see full specs on the Honda website here if you're interested: https://powersports.honda.com/street/scooter/adv150?year=2021
If you look at a 2021 Kymco X-Town 300 and PCX -150 side view they look very similar.  Seen a picture of them both side by side on ebay.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 01:32:51 PM »
If you look at a 2021 Kymco X-Town 300 and PCX -150 side view they look very similar.  Seen a picture of them both side by side on ebay.

Yes, I can understand what you mean. Not identical, but similar. The X-Town 300 is actually a scooter that I really like. If/when I decide to move up to or add a higher displacement scoot, the X-Town is definitely a model I would consider. You can find some pretty sweet deals on used ones with low mileage if you are patient and keep your eyes on the FB Marketplace. The other scooter in this category that would interest me is the Yamaha Xmax.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 02:04:57 AM »
Weather is getting nice for rides to Newport and Narragansett beaches.

If you get back this way, its worth the travel

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 06:31:34 AM »
Yes, I can understand what you mean. Not identical, but similar. The X-Town 300 is actually a scooter that I really like. If/when I decide to move up to or add a higher displacement scoot, the X-Town is definitely a model I would consider. You can find some pretty sweet deals on used ones with low mileage if you are patient and keep your eyes on the FB Marketplace. The other scooter in this category that would interest me is the Yamaha Xmax.
I've always liked Yamaha products, grew up riding many different Yamaha Enduro  bikes and all were reliable without issues.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 02:48:32 PM »
Weather is getting nice for rides to Newport and Narragansett beaches.

If you get back this way, its worth the travel

Dean

My folks still live in Cumberland, and my brother actually lies in Narragansett, about a mile from the beach. We do plan to make a trip up this summer, and probably will head over to Block Island for a day. We did that last summer and my kids really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll bring the scooter up with me. Would have to trailer it the whole way, and then no one to ride with when I got there, since no one else in my family has a scooter or motorcycle. But yes, I can definitely see how it would be handy around the beaches in the summertime. A perfect tool for getting around to all the local hotspots during high season and never have to worry about being able to find a good parking space!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()