Author Topic: Learn something every day!  (Read 491 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Learn something every day!
« on: May 20, 2021, 07:30:36 PM »
Found the People key WILL NOT open  the key slot cover on the Downtown and vice versa. Someone on this forum may have mentioned this during one of the key replacement discussions and I was too thick to understand.

I tried this both ways twice just to make sure. Not electric nor electronic but undoubtedly magnetic. This is one elegant, simple and clever feature!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Learn something every day!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 10:06:33 PM »
Found the People key WILL NOT open  the key slot cover on the Downtown and vice versa. Someone on this forum may have mentioned this during one of the key replacement discussions and I was too thick to understand.

I tried this both ways twice just to make sure. Not electric nor electronic but undoubtedly magnetic. This is one elegant, simple and clever feature!
On the Suzuki Iceburg it only came with one key. I wanted another key and these have the magnetic key slot cover. When purchasing a replacement key blank  it comes with 4 magnets for the key lock to get the correct one.  You have a 25% chance of having the correct one if you own another Burgman.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 12:03:41 AM »
On the Suzuki Iceburg it only came with one key. I wanted another key and these have the magnetic key slot cover. When purchasing a replacement key blank  it comes with 4 magnets for the key lock to get the correct one.  You have a 25% chance of having the correct one if you own another Burgman.
I did wave a compass at one of the keys confiming a magnet inside! Yep. Four possibilities and six for the future!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 12:08:56 AM »
I ordered spare Burgman keys with the magnets from China. Old key and the ignition bed when approached with the new Magnets 'tell' you which way is correct...up or down.
Kinda fun , if you can work with tweezers 😊
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()