Author Topic: Would DIY maintenance void new bike warranty?  (Read 392 times)

David L.

• View Profile
Would DIY maintenance void new bike warranty?
« on: May 29, 2021, 03:31:11 PM »
Hello Friends,
I got a new Kymco Like 150i from dealer, thinking of DIY the first 600 mile maintenance. Would that void the new bike's warranty?
Thanks.
Kymco Like 150i ABS 2020

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Would DIY maintenance void new bike warranty?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 04:09:34 PM »
Hello Friends,
I got a new Kymco Like 150i from dealer, thinking of DIY the first 600 mile maintenance. Would that void the new bike's warranty?
Thanks.

Read your warranty, and check with the dealer.  If the routine service at specified intervals is mandated in your warranty, it should state that, as well as where the service must be performed.  But your dealer should be able to give you a direct answer.  Major problem with DIY service while a vehicle is under warranty is how to provide documentation that the service was performed should a warranty issue arise.

Jeff

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 04:10:44 PM »
If you keep records and receipts of performed maintenance I don't know how they could deny a warranty claim.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 04:42:10 PM »
Many opt for the dealer for that first 600 mile service.
Big question is will the dealer be doing a valve check?
If so - the labor price will be impressive, most often....and good idea to let them do it if you're not experienced.

If all they are doing is checking the fittings and changing the oil (s) - then buy the correct oil and keep the receipt. Keep written record of the work you do with the receipts...and do the work yourself.

Warranties are not voided if the owner does the work....no matter what dealer tells you. No place in the owner's manual will it tell you that warranty is voided if work done by other than the dealer.
I'm speaking from the manuals from 4 different scooter brands I've owned in the USA. (Honda, Kymco, Suzuki, Piaggio)
JUST DO IT - don't skip it.
For a warranty work to be voided the dealer will need to prove that something you did or did not do caused the problem.

If you're handy with a wrench - do it yourself, use OEM parts, proper specified lubricants per the manual, & document it.
Nervous ?? - pay them to do it - part of the price of owning a vehicle.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »
Hello Friends,
Thanks.

The federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents manufacturers from voiding your warranty,  but you must have documentation that it was performed by you.
Like 150i ABS

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 05:49:14 PM »
I doubt that many Kymco's in third world countries every see a shop after the sale. It's a testament to how durable these things actually are. With proper maintenance and not abused they can last a very long time.

Case in point I purchased a parts scooter (2007 Kymco  People 250)  in OKC that obviously had good care but stored in a shed and was told didn't run. It had 65,000km on it.  Out of curiosity I put in fresh fuel and a new battery and it fired up  and I drove it around the block.

I've seen other scooters that were completely  trashed in a couple of years from lack of care and abuse.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 07:37:16 PM »
I have done the service on ALL the two- and four-wheeled vehicles in this family. Have not had one warranty claim on anything except one GM rebranded car (Chevy Spark made by Daewoo) which is no longer in this family. All scoots, Yamaha, Genuine Buddy and Kymco have had zero warranty issues ... well, except the "Stall of Shame" stuck vent valve I keep harping about but I took care of those. I used to keep receipts for oil and filters but stopped doing that. I DO keep a maintenance log in the "notes" section of the operator's manual. Date, miles, what done, products used and part numbers (like HF566 and Wix 1053, etc.). The Kymco manufacturing is top notch. So is KIA. I would just do it and not worry about it. You will do a better job than most dealer techs anyway, unless you previously stripped every bolt you touched! Har, har!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 09:28:23 PM »
Hello Friends,
Thanks.

I believe the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act covers you for DIY work in the US, unless they can prove you purposely sabotaged something, like squeezing a tube of valve grinding compound into your oil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act
RandyO
IBA#9560

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 04:52:24 PM »
My experience  with over 75 new bikes....in US, dealers often screw things up/Germany the same/Japan they are pretty good/Korea Daelim fine/ Italy good.   As I buy them to ride and always new, tend to have little trouble with Asian brands.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()