Author Topic: l...bought a Honda Helix today  (Read 1131 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: l...bought a Honda Helix today
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2021, 12:36:50 AM »
not a whole lot of tire choices in the 110/100-12 front and 120/90-10 rear. On Revzilla there are 3 choices but a highly rated one and also inexpensive is the  Heidenau K61 at $50 and $65 for the 2.  Much cheaper than I expected and I think John Grinsel has spoken highly of Heidenaus in the past (?)

6 hours last night and another 3 this afternoon stripping and cleaning the scoot. Only new problems I found are the rear shocks rubber mounting bushings are wallowed out which will result in some clunking and other issues. I thought I'd need new shocks but I see on Revzilla where I can just buy the rubber bushings/mounts and the metal bushing that runs through them for only a few dollars!

Some external rust on the fuel tank but the inside is perfectly clean and I doubt the scoot will ever get wet while I own it so not too worried.

Have the rear mostly stripped down. Lots of dirt and gunk to clean. My OCD won't let me NOT clean it. Attaching a pic to show current state.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2021, 12:44:45 AM »
one other oddity...the process for adjusting valves. Here's a pic of the left side of motor. The 2 lock nuts are loosened, the metal around it are both moved away from each other (left one front, right one back) until it meets resistance and then the metal grids are moved toward each other one half mark, which is equal to .010, or the correct valve adjustment.

Never seen anything like this. I haven't touched it, yet, but read about it in service manual and thought it looked very odd.

Has anyone had a motor with the same process for adjusting valves?
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2021, 01:05:05 AM »
one other oddity...the process for adjusting valves. Here's a pic of the left side of motor. The 2 lock nuts are loosened, the metal around it are both moved away from each other (left one front, right one back) until it meets resistance and then the metal grids are moved toward each other one half mark, which is equal to .010, or the correct valve adjustment.

Never seen anything like this. I haven't touched it, yet, but read about it in service manual and thought it looked very odd.

Has anyone had a motor with the same process for adjusting valves?
Yeah, yrs ago watched videos of that super easy valve adj, procedure on this scoot!

Will you be considering all new panels from webike?

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2021, 01:24:42 AM »
Stig, I hadn't thought about replacement panels, yet. None are cracked but they all have some battle scars on them.

Webike....was not aware of that site but now have it bookmarked for hours of viewing pleasure! The crazy thing about the Helix is the parts support (probably Hondas in general..but I'm used to our Kymcos and the minimal support and no aftermarket)

The plan is to get all the mechanical stuff upgraded and repaired before tackling the cosmetic (other than thorough cleaning).
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()