Author Topic: l...bought a Honda Helix today  (Read 1136 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
l...bought a Honda Helix today
« on: June 01, 2021, 10:08:13 PM »
flipping through my local Craigslist I saw a 96 Helix for sale in my neighborhood. It is in very good condition for a 26 year old scoot and has 7100 miles. I stopped by today to look it over and take it for a ride. Wow...it was a different feeling vehicle, that's for sure! Even more so since I rode my motorcycle over to look at it.

It is big...and soft...and....interesting. Like sitting in a soft, slightly out of style recliner in someones living room.

I think my S200 is faster off the line but I'm sure the Helix tops out at a much higher speed.

Asking $1900...very reasonable...but to be up to my standards I'll have to change all fluids, filters, plug, valve check, rollers, belt....plus a full detail on the paint...some touch up...needs a windscreen....nothing out of the ordinary but just a lot of stuff.

My current scoot is set up almost perfectly, cosmetically and mechanically..(except for the annoying vibration).. I've spent a lot of $ getting it just right....so I'm asking myself do I want to start another project?

Many call the Helix the Greatest Scooter of All Time...and they aren't getting any more plentiful. If I want to experience one I'd probably better do it sooner than later.

Any thoughts on a Honda Helix?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 05:57:12 PM by Iahawk »
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: looked at a Honda Helix today
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 12:46:54 AM »
Well, they have a mug only a mother could love - but they have a good reputation.
Are they the Hondas that you can do a valve adjustment from outside the engine through a port in the panel....(or is that the Reflex? Me, I'm keeping one eye open for a Reflex))
Saw one being ridden by a lady at a gas station 2 yrs ago. She said she loved it.
What color?

Stig
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 12:48:39 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 12:59:52 AM »
the best color...red!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 01:14:38 AM »
!!

Stig
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 12:23:48 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 07:45:16 AM »
@Iahawk, looks great this CN 250,
but isn't $1900,- a little bit pricey?
Will come all in all to ~ $2500,- after refurbishing.
Except you want to keep it as a collectors piece.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 12:37:24 PM »
Ruffus, yes, I do think the price is a little high. I'd be more comfortable around $1500 or $1600 but it is getting harder to find 'low mileage' Helix's due to their age. This one looks really nice...it just needs a little loving.

I think the only reason it hasn't sold, yet, is because it is posted on Craigslist...which has almost zero vehicle activity these days as all online activity seems to have moved to Facebook Marketplace (free to post items for sale).

I'm planning on calling the owner today to make an offer. I got sucked into the web of youtube videos last night by Helix owners  professing their absolute love for this oddball scooter!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 02:14:57 PM »
Check out Craigslist Duluth  post #7329784318 . The person has 5 of them in different colors and look to be in mint condition for sale.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 02:32:10 PM »
Huh neat.
"Call for price" always makes me a bit leery, but kinda neat.

Check out Craigslist Duluth  post #7329784318 . The person has 5 of them in different colors and look to be in mint condition for sale.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 02:41:05 PM »
Huh neat.
"Call for price" always makes me a bit leery, but kinda neat.

I'm sure they are at a premium price but look to be in mint condition.   A lot of times your ahead to pay a premium then purchase one that needs work that you have to track down parts plus the cost of parts and labor involved.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 02:55:52 PM »
I have some Helix experience---4 new ones, ridden over 175,000 miles combined-----Price for what you see way out of line---For me.
$500 about right----They do not break very often----guts of very expensive muffler fall out at around 30,000 miles (all of mine Honda paid on warranty), intake stubs break/leak....just carry spare,  belts can be changed just by squeezing rear clutch, getting buffet free
ride hard---shield too far from tip of nose!!   Built in trunk very handy.    Safety Warning: rear tire rated 62 mph...bad for bike that will top over 70mph---down hill/tail wind.  I did have one rear tire fly apart in Japan as I exited Freeway after long/wide open run. Didn't go down, tire Bridgestone.

I enjoyed my Helix time.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 02:57:55 PM »
Here's another Detroit Lakes Craigslist 7327872591

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 03:02:36 PM »
I have some Helix experience---4 new ones, ridden over 175,000 miles combined-----Price for what you see way out of line---For me.
$500 about right----They do not break very often----guts of very expensive muffler fall out at around 30,000 miles (all of mine Honda paid on warranty), intake stubs break/leak....just carry spare,  belts can be changed just by squeezing rear clutch, getting buffet free
ride hard---shield too far from tip of nose!!   Built in trunk very handy.    Safety Warning: rear tire rated 62 mph...bad for bike that will top over 70mph---down hill/tail wind.  I did have one rear tire fly apart in Japan as I exited Freeway after long/wide open run. Didn't go down, tire Bridgestone.

I enjoyed my Helix time.
John your living in the past on prices. Non-running parts scooters are going for $300-500 range now . 

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 03:22:56 PM »
Well, they have a mug only a mother could love

Stig

What he said. But if YOU like it, that's all that matters.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 03:37:43 PM »
What he said. But if YOU like it, that's all that matters.
Not one of my favorite design , Yamaha had the Riva 180 that had similar styling along with the Yamaha morphous. They look like they  could be a amphibious assault vehicle.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 05:55:41 PM »
it's funny reading all these replies!...and thanks, Kansas Kymco, for the suggested links, but I went the path of least resistance and bought the Helix from my neighbor about 5 houses away. It's funny, I've never seen the scoot being ridden. Unless he only rode it in the dark when he couldn't be positively identified as the crazy owner of a Honda Helix??

I will be the 3rd owner after the farmer in rural Iowa who owned it for 19 years, my neighbor who owned it for 6 and now me.

$1700 and I pick it up at 5 today. Full report on the condition (and pics) coming this weekend.

I know for sure it will get an immediate oil change, final drive oil change, brake fluid and coolant. Need to order the air filter and probably the cvt case filter...need a plug...will have to examine brake pads and shoes...tires...coolant and brake hoses....plus a full disassemble and deep cleaning....oh, boy....
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()