Author Topic: Air filter made of felt  (Read 4563 times)

axy

• View Profile
Air filter made of felt
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:50:30 PM »
I got hold of some 20 mm (close to 1") thick felt material, industrial grade, used as filter in pro air con systems.
It is according to standard for filters EN779 - G4 grade (coarse filter).

Here is the description:

The Pleated Panel Filter is a medium efficiency disposable air filter, suitable for ventilation and air conditioning systems which require a higher efficiency and greater dust holding capacity than can be achieved with glass or synthetic panels. The G4 Pleated Panel Filter can be used where glass panels are undesirable, such as in the food industry and hospitals.

Description

Pleated Panel filters consist of a dry non-woven fabric media which is pleated to give an extended surface area, producing a low initial resistance for the same air volume, making this an energy efficient air filter. The pleated filter media is contained within the air filter by a rigid all cardboard casing, or a cardboard frame with recycled perforated cap-punch retaining grids.

Technical

The pleated air filter media is Flame Retardant to DIN53438
Max Operating Temp 100 Deg C
Dust Holding Capacity for 50mm Filter = 840 g/m2
Dust Holding Capacity for 100mm Filter = 1260 g/m2
Recommended Face Velocity 2.5m/s
Nominal to Actual Size: less 6mm on H & W, 3mm on Depth

Do we have some resident expert on this matter?
Could I make an air filter for my scoots using this material (removing the cardboard stuff inside the filter frame, and glue this thing in)?

Whaddayathink?  ;D
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
Re: Air filter made of felt
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:42:20 PM »
How well do you think you will be able to clean it? How much time are you going to have invested in making the felt work. Will you be able to clean it or will you have to rip it off, clean the glue and cut another peice of felt?
Sounds like a lot of work when one can purchase a K&N filter that you can wash and use over time and time again with proven performance increase, not to say the protection your engine will have from debri
Sorry I just dont see the benifits and the risk factor of the felt coming loose and being sucked into the intake.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:36:25 AM »
Is the open air filters like that good for the cold weather or is better to stay with the stock box filter.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 12:46:14 AM »
Is the open air filters like that good for the cold weather or is better to stay with the stock box filter.

..oem is better if you don't want to have to re-jet your carb for every 40 degree temperature change...lol..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 01:08:20 AM »
Wow, if it works, that could save you a bundle in shipping costs (and waiting time) to your country from the U.S. if that's how you've been getting filters!! Hope it works for you!!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 01:11:21 AM »
..you would have to cut the felt clean, with no fibers straggling around that could possibly clog the ports in your carb....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:36:07 AM »
How well do you think you will be able to clean it? How much time are you going to have invested in making the felt work. Will you be able to clean it or will you have to rip it off, clean the glue and cut another peice of felt?
Sounds like a lot of work when one can purchase a K&N filter that you can wash and use over time and time again with proven performance increase, not to say the protection your engine will have from debri
Sorry I just dont see the benifits and the risk factor of the felt coming loose and being sucked into the intake.

K&N does not exist for every scooter/bike (and it is also ridiculously expensive).
No debris would enter the port, the material is very compact.
I know that for vintage vehicles, where air filters are not available, people use felt filters.
I just do not know the grade usually used, hence my question.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 01:33:53 PM »
I googled around a little and found nowhere is felt used in commercially available automobile filters, so I assume it is not the best material for that application.

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »
Ever heard of felt shed?
The fibers that are woven to make felt shed.
used to manufacture the Felt may be incorrect either for the application or for Felt manufacturing. Obviously, certain fibers withstand certain elements that others will not. One fiber type may perform exceptionally well at 175° C (347° F), while another becomes brittle, breaks, and sheds. Or, certain finishes, like silicone, may have been used on the fiber allowing it to be too slippery and shed. Another consideration may be the length of the fiber staple - too short and it resists proper locking during the needling process.

Saving a few bucks will cost you in the long run. Felt is not used to make air filters.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 05:36:08 PM »
Ever heard of felt shed?

Saving a few bucks will cost you in the long run. Felt is not used to make air filters.

A number of chainsaws have felt air filters.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 08:08:05 AM »
A number of chainsaws have felt air filters.

Yes, some do if I am not mistaken Husquvarna uses a felt type air filter.

"aint my ride"

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 11:29:10 AM »
I already purchased OEM air filter for Agility.
But, I also saw that there are felt filters for sale online that allegedly can be used instead of paper element filters, hence my question.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()