Author Topic: New mowers ' never change oil, just top up?!  (Read 427 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
New mowers ' never change oil, just top up?!
« on: June 13, 2021, 11:35:23 AM »
Buying new mower for my FIL.
Saw mowers advertising  this, " never change
the engine oil. Just top up as needed."
What gives, here? !!

actually. ..I did run a little Sears mower for 2 decades...and never changed the oil. Or used fuel additives. It ran fine!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

NomadCF

• View Profile
Re: New mowers ' never change oil, just top up?!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 11:55:26 AM »
Same here and that went double for my craftsman snowblower. I had both of them for about 16 years and then gave then to my neighbor. For whom they're still starting in the firsting on the first pull for.

Now I'm running all ego electric/battery lawn equipment. And while I love their lawn mower, weed wacker, etc etc. I hate their snowblower and nexus portable power station. That said they both "work", they just work poorly especially when you take into account their cost.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 01:18:55 PM »
this has been occurring for a while, now...it seems the manufacturers just accept that most homeowners see mowers as disposable...run them until they break, put it out on the curb and buy a new one.

You can still change the oil on these and I sure would....but unfortunately many never change the oil in their outdoor power equipment.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 01:42:17 PM »
this has been occurring for a while, now...it seems the manufacturers just accept that most homeowners see mowers as disposable...run them until they break, put it out on the curb and buy a new one.

You can still change the oil on these and I sure would....but unfortunately many never change the oil in their outdoor power equipment.
Yeah - the curb "pickers" night before trash day are some of my best friends!
If it's got any metal, or and engine. They love it.
Been trying to unload my like new Kendas from my LIKE for years though. No takers. They picked up the Michelin from my Jetta --- but no takers on a nice set of scooter tires!
Had 2 giant jugs of diesel - which cost $1 a pound at city recycling center. First jug cost me $40. Second, bigger, one I set out for the "pickers" last week. It was gone in 20 mins!

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 02:35:25 PM »
My mower has a gorgeous Briggs & Stratton motor in it. That was a kerb find; sharpened the blades, installed an air filter, fitted a new pull cord, carb rebuild and it's been chugging away happily for a few years now.

The sump plug was seized solid though so I've only ever changed the oil by turning it upside down...
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 03:12:52 PM »
My mower has a gorgeous Briggs & Stratton motor in it. That was a kerb find; sharpened the blades, installed an air filter, fitted a new pull cord, carb rebuild and it's been chugging away happily for a few years now.

The sump plug was seized solid though so I've only ever changed the oil by turning it upside down...
I've a relatively new Toro mower with a Honda engine. Manual says tip it over to change the oil.
A little messy....but it works.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 04:23:17 PM »
Never a good idea - specially when mineral oils get used in an engine. Mineral oil start breaking down at 80 deg Celcius, so I think specially during hot summers mineral oils can cause “more than usual” engine wear.
Condensation during cooler or wet condition can also cause moist to build up in the oil. (Engine gets hot when running , air expands, and when the engine gets shut off moist gets sucked into the engine and ends up in the oil).
So whatever manufacturers have to say - I think it always makes sence to change oil quite regularly.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 04:34:23 PM »
I bought my Ariens  riding mower the year my father passed away 1993. It was to big of a investment to not maintain.  In 2023 it will be 30 years old and so far has been running fine.  I'm on the 3rd set of tires and the second seat. And have replaced the plastic start gear on the engine. I have replaced a couple of deck wheels  and the rubber drive wheel  that rides on the disk a few times.  The industrial B&S engine has given me zero problems and I change the oil every fall.  Not only has it cut my yard I have cut the elderly neighbors yard before they passed away.

I beleive  in the (a an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure).  I use the same Rotella T-6 I use in my scooters/ motorcycles.

I beleive the manufacturer has a vested interest in not maintaining so they can sell you another one.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 04:36:08 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 04:29:59 AM »
Buying new mower for my FIL.
Saw mowers advertising  this, " never change
the engine oil. Just top up as needed."
What gives, here? !!

actually. ..I did run a little Sears mower for 2 decades...and never changed the oil. Or used fuel additives. It ran fine!

Stig

Were they 2-stroke models with separate tanks for oil? Because that would make sense as the oil is automatically mixed and burned.

I'm thinking some lawnmowers don't run long enough to warrant frequent unnecessary oil changes. It also reminds me of new cars with 15,000-20,000km service intervals but they burn so much oil and you are topping it off so frequently, you are essentially doing an oil change every 5000km or so.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 09:29:01 AM »
Having read all your experiences, I'm feeling inspired enough to try and change my oil again. I've got some leftover synthetic here from a past scooter so I'll chuck that in if I can get it nice and clean.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 04:12:38 PM »
Yeah - the curb "pickers" night before trash day are some of my best friends!
If it's got any metal, or and engine. They love it.
Been trying to unload my like new Kendas from my LIKE for years though. No takers. They picked up the Michelin from my Jetta --- but no takers on a nice set of scooter tires!
Had 2 giant jugs of diesel - which cost $1 a pound at city recycling center. First jug cost me $40. Second, bigger, one I set out for the "pickers" last week. It was gone in 20 mins!

Stig
Bless the curb pickers, they saved me from taking stuff to the transfer station many of times.  The bonus is if someone can use it less stuff for the landfill. I have taken a truck load or two to the re-use-it center. The sell the stuff and distribute the money to local charities.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()