Author Topic: Kymco Like 150i ABS Valve Access  (Read 814 times)

David L.

• View Profile
Kymco Like 150i ABS Valve Access
« on: June 16, 2021, 03:59:42 PM »
Hey Friends,
Any one know how to access the valve on Kymco Like 150i ABS (2020, TE30AF-US)? The reason I need this info is to check the valve gap clearance. Do I need to remove the floorboard for this model? I just found one video on YouTube, but it is for 2013 Like 200. Anyone who has experience or document/video tutorial please help.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 04:41:07 AM by David L. »
Kymco Like 150i ABS 2020

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco Like 150i ABS Valve Access
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 02:44:13 PM »
Well, 2 days now no response. ..so I'll take a shot. I own a LIKE200I.
Is there a removable panel under the front of the seat? Like the panel you saw in the Like200i youtube? I would hope the floor would not have to be removed! Can you get your hand up through an opening under the scooter's floor? I go in that way on my Piaggio to get at one of the valve cover bolts.
I always removed the seat and under-seat bucket just to throw more light on the situation.
With the seat and bucket removed straight up...maybe you'll see what else needs to come off to get at the valve cover.
For a possible service manual on this scooter - you might check with www.cyclepedia.com

Good luck. If you do this aervice on the valves - a lot of owners would be very interested if you posted a How-To, with photos!
Stig
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 02:49:31 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 07:53:11 PM »
@David L.
I own two older Like 200 but as far I can see(guess) from this att. pic.. Could not find something real substantial.
I would take
- the seat  and trunk beneath off
- then remove this black frontcover
Now should be plenty of access to adjust valves.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 01:02:34 PM »
I have checked the valves three times on my Like 150i.  The first time I did not remove the floorboards which made access to the valves very difficult.  I was able to check all the clearances this way but could not have adjusted the valves if needed.  Then I pinched the valve cover gasket and had an oil leak.  So I removed the floorboards which was a real PITA.  I re checked the valves (they were all in spec at 1000 miles) and put everything back together.  The next valve check was due at 5,000 miles but I waited until over 11,000 miles.  They needed adjustment but weren't so far out as to cause issues. 

Sorry I don't have a tutorial.  I just winged it and I doubt I did it the best way.  Getting that floorboard is a real PITA but after it is off you can remove a metal cross brace that blocks getting the valve cover off.  The valve adjustment itself is easy.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 01:43:12 PM »
I have checked the valves three times on my Like 150i.  The first time I did not remove the floorboards which made access to the valves very difficult.  I was able to check all the clearances this way but could not have adjusted the valves if needed.  Then I pinched the valve cover gasket and had an oil leak.  So I removed the floorboards which was a real PITA.  I re checked the valves (they were all in spec at 1000 miles) and put everything back together.  The next valve check was due at 5,000 miles but I waited until over 11,000 miles.  They needed adjustment but weren't so far out as to cause issues. 

Sorry I don't have a tutorial.  I just winged it and I doubt I did it the best way.  Getting that floorboard is a real PITA but after it is off you can remove a metal cross brace that blocks getting the valve cover off.  The valve adjustment itself is easy.

OMG!
I thought I remembered reading that it was this difficult - but didn't want to scare anybody off.

This is the kind of thing which would cause me to not buy this scooter. Plenty of people buy "difficult" scooters (PCX owners).
I'm too OCD about maintenance - and too old to tackle difficult maint. - so, I  move on and buy something else.
(I research maintenance before buying these days --- bought Piaggio maint. download, $8, before buying the Liberty. Valves looked easy - & they were.)

Thank you for posting, klaviator!
It is a great scooter - by all reports, otherwise.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

David L.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 03:26:50 PM »
Thank you klaviator, Stig and Ruffus for your valuable input. I know this is a topic that few people has experience so far.
@klaviator, to remove the floorboard, do I just need to unscrew the screws under the rubber cover?
Kymco Like 150i ABS 2020

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 05:58:48 PM »
Thank you klaviator, Stig and Ruffus for your valuable input. I know this is a topic that few people has experience so far.
@klaviator, to remove the floorboard, do I just need to unscrew the screws under the rubber cover?

I wish removing the floorboard was that simple.  I'll start out with the pics I took and then try to remember the procedure.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 06:04:19 PM »
I started by removing the seat/pet carrier.  Then the plastic cover in front of the engine.  I removed the belly pan.  That was just four bolts and not too hard.  To remove the floorboard required removing the four bolts.  There were a couple of weird fasteners near the passenger footpegs that needed to be removed and maybe a couple of screws.  I don't remember if they fasten the floorboard or the panels just below the floorboards.  The floorboards also have tabs that fit into slots in various spots.  Getting those unfastened is a real PITA.  I had to pull out the back part of those panels below the floorboards a bit. 

Good luck!
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 06:58:48 PM »
Amazing pics kalviator!

Oooh, imagine if we could get him to shoot a video the next time. The number of youtube hits he'd have!!

Thanks again!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 07:29:09 PM »
Amazing pics kalviator!

Oooh, imagine if we could get him to shoot a video the next time. The number of youtube hits he'd have!!

Thanks again!
Stig

I have never gotten into shooting videos.  Besides having to buy a Go pro or something similar I'd have to learn how to use it and then how to Edit.  I prefer taking pics.  I seldom watch videos either.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

David L.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 05:59:34 AM »
I wish removing the floorboard was that simple.  I'll start out with the pics I took and then try to remember the procedure.

klaviator,
This is awesome! I appreciate your feedback. These pictures really help a lot to understand what are under the floorboard and to figure out how to remove the plastic parts till we can access the valves.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 06:01:45 AM by David L. »
Kymco Like 150i ABS 2020

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 08:23:52 AM »
@klaviator, thanks alot for this "new LIKE" hands-on pics. This is what we need in a forum.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 02:54:00 PM »
This is the kind of thing which would cause me to not buy this scooter. Plenty of people buy "difficult" scooters (PCX owners).
I'm too OCD about maintenance - and too old to tackle difficult maint. - so, I  move on and buy something else.
(I research maintenance before buying these days --- bought Piaggio maint. download, $8, before buying the Liberty. Valves looked easy - & they were.)

When I bought the Like there was no info out there on maintenance.  I assumed it would be similar to my Super 8 which was real easy to work on.  A valve adjustment took about and hour including removing a small amount of bodywork.  The big difference is that the Like has the fuel tank under the floorboards which I really like but it restricts access to the Valve cover. 

Other than the valve adjustment routine servicing is pretty easy.  Even the valve adjustment isn't that bad after you figure out how to remove the bodywork.  I think it took me about 5-6 hours the first time and about two hours last time.  It doesn't have to be done that often.  Kymco says every 5K miles after the first adjustment.  My experience from owning a lot of bikes is that you can safely double the manufacturers valve check interval after the initial check.  So every 10K for the Like which works out to once every two years for me. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()