Author Topic: Dawn Patrol  (Read 858 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn Patrol
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 04:14:49 PM »
The UK is so lush and green. Is it still true that one can stroll across otherwise private fields in the countryside?
 And do they still offer the hikers steps to get over fences, and gates?
I was only in the UK for 4 days. Back in the 60's.
My Paris American High School football team stayed in a London hotel, until we played a game against the Lakenheath airfield's team. Our prop plane landed on a grass strip in the countryside. Narrow lanes and crazies on the wrong side of the roads...are my memories.
You've a beautiful country - pics would be much appreciated !
Stig

Oh yes, "look right" was painted on the curbs in London intersections!
Is it still true that one can stroll across otherwise private fields in the countryside? - Yes it is!  There are public footpaths where you're free to roam across fields with crops and even bulls if you so wish.  Behind my house we have a network of field paths where we walk the dogs.
 And do they still offer the hikers steps to get over fences, and gates?  -  Again, yes.  They're called stiles and still very evident.  Some are dog-friendly others not so.  My big dog doesn't like some of the rickety "bridges" over the streams and would prefer to splash through!
My Paris American High School football team stayed in a London hotel, until we played a game against the Lakenheath airfield's team. Our prop plane landed on a grass strip in the countryside. Narrow lanes and crazies on the wrong side of the roads...are my memories.  Mine too!!  Thankfully not this morning.

As for road signs on the road, the roads in Wales are liberally sprinkled with the word "Araf"  which, apparently is Welsh for "Slow".  A sign of how twisty they are.  Motorcycling heaven.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 05:00:33 PM »
Grey seems redundant in the UK.

Not only redundant, but has the unfortunate side effect of rendering the scooter invisible against the sky for most of the year here!!  (Stealth mode.)  I have to compensate by wearing easily spotted helmets and jackets  ::)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2021, 02:22:02 PM »
Before our British bus driver let us Americans off of his bus in London, he made us repeat the mantra, "LOOK RIGHT!!" several times.
Apparently a lot of Americans are run over each year when crossing the streets while checking for traffic from their left.

I remember one thing about that trip - my leather soled dress shoes were deadly on the wet cobbles.
Oh yes, I did buy a can of London Fog.
I was shaped like a Coke can.

Hey, I was 15.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 02:40:54 PM »

Oh yes, I did buy a can of London Fog.
I was shaped like a Coke can.

Hey, I was 15.

Stig

15 eh?  Well back then there probably was still London Fog, but the clean air act put paid to all the London coal fires and effectively eliminated the smogs.  Bad visibility is a rare thing these days I'm glad to say.  Unless you count the bad visibility caused by driving rain!   ;D
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()