Author Topic: New guy here with some starting system questions.  (Read 261 times)

Ice45

• View Profile
New guy here with some starting system questions.
« on: June 18, 2021, 10:35:52 PM »
Hello just joined the forum I’ve been searching pretty hard and haven’t stumbled upon some answers. I have a 2002 kymco yup 50. I have a good battery, when I tried to start it I got no click from what I think is the starter relay in the back? I pulled the starter out and the starter is seized up but should the relay still be clicking regardless? Is there diagnostic procedures I can do to determine if the switches are bad or the relay is bad or if it was just a bad starter? Thanks for your help and your time!

Ice45

• View Profile
Re: New guy here with some starting system questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 11:13:57 PM »
Also I would have put this in the appropriate section but was not sure where to put it cause there isn’t a section for the yup50 or it’s predecessor the Sting I believe. So my apologizes for that. If there is a better place for it let me know I will repost there.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 11:26:28 PM »
Did you apply the brake before hitting the start button? Is the side stand up as well? There are safety switches on both of these .
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Ice45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 11:39:29 PM »
I have done it squeezing in both brake levers it’s sitting up on its center stand whenever I’ve tried it.

Ice45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 11:57:42 PM »
Just went out and put the center stand up and tried and the relay clicks now. I didn’t realize the stand needed to be up….. Thank you

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 12:57:38 AM »
It should start on the center stand but not the side stand, interesting.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Ice45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 01:22:16 AM »
This thing doesn’t have a side stand. The relay is clicking up on the center stand as well now so either it was a fluke before and now it’s working or maybe I just couldn’t hear it before? Either way it’s working now so thank you everyone for the help. I’m trying to fix this thing up as it’s pretty beat up. It’ll be a fun project for sure. Can anyone tell me what other scooters this thing shares motors with? I’m also trying to find a clutch cover with the kickstart assembly in it. This one is seized up and all buggered up so I’d like to find a different one with the assembly already in it. It’s a yup50
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 01:30:23 AM by Ice45 »

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 08:06:24 AM »
@Ice45,
if your starter motor is sized, try to do an overhaul on it, it's not really an high tech part.
Pls see:
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=30827.msg216053#msg216053
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()