Author Topic: update on my Honda Helix  (Read 3509 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: update on my Honda Helix
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 04:08:34 AM »
more work completed on the Helix tonight..

removed front wheel and cleaned it up..lots of gunk and brake dust on it

Still not sure what Honda was thinking back then when they developed this front suspension...not sure why they chose this somewhat heavy and complicated setup vs regular motorcycle forks..?

pulled caliper, disassembled, cleaned and lubed, installed new EBC sintered brake pads. Caliper was very dirty but was functioning fine. I was thinking the slides were probably sticking, but they weren't. They're now sliding a little more nicely.

There's something very satisfying about cleaning up a caliper and getting it working like new.

Finally, took a pic without front wheel or windscreen....thought it looked a lot like a snowmobile!

I'm hoping to be fully back together and riding in another 2 weeks. It's been fun so far.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 04:59:08 PM »
@Iahawk, yes of course, if it really sits that hard...I do have different means here in my workshop.
Better to use a press at some car workshop. Take the new stuff with you, goes at once then.There on this bearings backside should be a 4 digit number, with which you can buy the new one.

@Stig, you are right about closing business and so on.
But on the other hand, companies charge you nowadays an arm and a leg for nitbits. So why not save, if possible.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 05:01:19 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 11:47:28 PM »
dropped off my old wheel/tires and the new tires to be mounted at my motorcycle shop. I also brought in my swingarm and they will order the 2 oil seals, bearing and press out the old and install the new. I saw the sign saying shop labor is $129 per hour..

On a positive note...my turn signal switch was very sticky and I wanted to make it work better so I found a great youtube video , Turn Signal Switch Repair, by The Motorcycle MD...he's a current (or former?) Honda tech.

I followed his instructions..and even though my switch was a little different than the one he used, the idea was the same. All those little screws, springs, ball bearings, metal plates and plastic pieces in there....man, they make me nervous. I imagined tiny pieces flying off into dark corners of my garage. Some time, patience, electrical contact cleaner and new grease and it all went back together...and it worked!! Of course, pics to follow...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:47:59 AM by Iahawk »
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 11:48:15 PM »
and clean pics...
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 01:00:27 PM »
@Iahawk, congrats again.
Your "snowmobile" looks good, like I already said, envy you a little bit. But my next project is already lurking a few kilometers away. Hybrid GRAND VISTA/BET&WIN, called Grand Dink 150 over here.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2021, 03:13:47 AM »
Ruffus, this is my first go at 'restoring' (or rescuing?) a scooter. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm almost at the end..when I get my swingarm back from the dealer with the new seals and bearing I can get the scoot fully back together. That should be in another week or two. I have my new tires mounted, my windscreen is here. All the extra parts I've ordered are here and ready to be installed.

I can see why you've done this a few times. It is very satisfying to take a neglected scooter (or any vehicle) and make it clean and fully functional again. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress. I actually find the restoring of old scooters far more interesting than reading about brand new ones!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 03:44:47 AM »
Ruffus, this is my first go at 'restoring' (or rescuing?) a scooter. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm almost at the end..when I get my swingarm back from the dealer with the new seals and bearing I can get the scoot fully back together. That should be in another week or two. I have my new tires mounted, my windscreen is here. All the extra parts I've ordered are here and ready to be installed.

I can see why you've done this a few times. It is very satisfying to take a neglected scooter (or any vehicle) and make it clean and fully functional again. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress. I actually find the restoring of old scooters far more interesting than reading about brand new ones!
Welcolme to my world, it doesn't make sense to a lot of people in this disposable world. There is something satisfying in rescuing a old scooter.
Does it make good financial sense? Maybe /maybe not.   

During my working career I was the one that bought a new bike rode it very little and sold it with very few miles on it in mint condition.  Now I'm the one searching for garage gems that need a little work.

Iahawk and Ruffus you guys take it to the next level. I respect the young people on the forum who take a old scooter and put it back on the road as well. Their knowledge will serve them throughout life.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 09:19:31 PM »
Kansas Kymco, you’re right, it doesn’t make financial sense..but who cares? We’re the ones who get to admire, ride and enjoy our scoots…it’s not to get any $ return..
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 10:14:34 PM »
Kansas Kymco, you’re right, it doesn’t make financial sense..but who cares? We’re the ones who get to admire, ride and enjoy our scoots…it’s not to get any $ return..
Why did I say maybe yes or no on financially?  Your loss on  value on a used scooter maybe less then on a new one . Scooters bottom out financial  where they don't lose any more money.  Fictional example on new scooter that sells for 9k may only be worth 4.5k in a few years of ownership.  A 3k used scooter maybe  worth 2k in a few years of ownership so the used scooter maybe will have the least amount of value loss and might be better from a  financial standpoint. 

Another way of looking at it if I take the 9k price of a new scooter and purchase a used scooter for 3k and invest the 6k savings over a few years I will make the money back I paid for the used scooter.

I have a new truck fund invested in NASDAQ.  I keep driving my old truck taking it in for repairs and paying for repairs out of the interest I make on my money without touching the principal.  So far even with repairs I'm  20k in the black.

So yes a used scooter maybe a better financial decisions then a new one in addition to the satisfaction you get from restoration and riding it.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2021, 01:46:40 AM »
Why did I say maybe yes or no on financially?  Your loss on  value on a used scooter maybe less then on a new one . Scooters bottom out financial  where they don't lose any more money.  Fictional example on new scooter that sells for 9k may only be worth 4.5k in a few years of ownership.  A 3k used scooter maybe  worth 2k in a few years of ownership so the used scooter maybe will have the least amount of value loss and might be better from a  financial standpoint. 

Another way of looking at it if I take the 9k price of a new scooter and purchase a used scooter for 3k and invest the 6k savings over a few years I will make the money back I paid for the used scooter.

I have a new truck fund invested in NASDAQ.  I keep driving my old truck taking it in for repairs and paying for repairs out of the interest I make on my money without touching the principal.  So far even with repairs I'm  20k in the black.

So yes a used scooter maybe a better financial decisions then a new one in addition to the satisfaction you get from restoration and riding it.

All sorts of ways to enjoy the scooter hobby.
I enjoy working to keep my scooters in top condition so that they will get me home on my rides several times each week, year around
Wet, cold, fog - roadside snow. Whatever.

Guys like to horse-trade, invest, collect and tinker. Save, restore, or restore to resell. Whatever suits.

I make the best deal I can, then buy new, and then ride 'em until they no longer make sense to own.
When, even with proper servicing,  I can no longer trust them on a 18°F morning miles from home....I'll start shopping again.

All sorts of ways to enjoy scooters....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2021, 02:17:11 AM »
All sorts of ways to enjoy the scooter hobby.
I enjoy working to keep my scooters in top condition so that they will get me home on my rides several times each week, year around
Wet, cold, fog - roadside snow. Whatever.

Guys like to horse-trade, invest, collect and tinker. Save, restore, or restore to resell. Whatever suits.

I make the best deal I can, then buy new, and then ride 'em until they no longer make sense to own.
When, even with proper servicing,  I can no longer trust them on a 18°F morning miles from home....I'll start shopping again.

All sorts of ways to enjoy scooters....
Stig
Nothing wrong with that, just showing buying used isn't always a bad decision.  Just curious why does the scooter become unreliable when you maintain it?   Most people trade for new and improved  or just want something new. I know I have never wore a scooter or motorcycle out before selling it off.  Very few actually ware a scooter out with the exception of  John G.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:20:25 AM by Kansas kymco »

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2021, 09:22:37 AM »
I know I have never wore a scooter or motorcycle out before selling it off.  Very few actually ware a scooter out with the exception of  John G.

In fact you could argue you can never really wear a scooter out.  It becomes a bit like Granny's old broom; it's had 2 new staves and 5 heads, but it's still Granny's old broom...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2021, 09:25:56 AM »
more work completed on the Helix tonight..

removed front wheel and cleaned it up..lots of gunk and brake dust on it

Still not sure what Honda was thinking back then when they developed this front suspension...not sure why they chose this somewhat heavy and complicated setup vs regular motorcycle forks..?

pulled caliper, disassembled, cleaned and lubed, installed new EBC sintered brake pads. Caliper was very dirty but was functioning fine. I was thinking the slides were probably sticking, but they weren't. They're now sliding a little more nicely.

There's something very satisfying about cleaning up a caliper and getting it working like new.

Finally, took a pic without front wheel or windscreen....thought it looked a lot like a snowmobile!

I'm hoping to be fully back together and riding in another 2 weeks. It's been fun so far.
Are those shocks on the front? The Riva has a similar setup with a shock only on one side like a Vespa

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2021, 05:22:46 AM »
Are those shocks on the front? The Riva has a similar setup with a shock only on one side like a Vespa

yes, 2 shocks plus a whole lot of other stuff...lots of pivot points with bearings and bushings. Still trying to figure out what needs to be cleaned / greased, etc.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2021, 02:53:35 PM »
In fact you could argue you can never really wear a scooter out.  It becomes a bit like Granny's old broom; it's had 2 new staves and 5 heads, but it's still Granny's old broom...

Neil, thats funny! Similar to the one I use...about my Grandfather's axe...I've replaced the head 2x and the handle 3x, but it's my Grandfather's axe!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()