Author Topic: update on my Honda Helix  (Read 3501 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: update on my Honda Helix
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2021, 03:46:15 PM »
In fact you could argue you can never really wear a scooter out.  It becomes a bit like Granny's old broom; it's had 2 new staves and 5 heads, but it's still Granny's old broom...
Perhaps.
But I can and did wear out a 1989 VW Jetta. One can replace suspension parts, engines and transmissions - but when their mounting points are disappearing due to the corrosive effects of a few decades of Ohio salt...it is worn out, to me.

When I no longer trust my vehicle. It is replaced. The kid that bought my Jetta thought it was much better than others he'd looked at.

I've never been a wealthy man - but since starting a family in 1967 - have always had a vehicle I trusted, for the family. Except for the 2 yr old Jetta - every vehicle was purchased new. Our Scion is 9 yrs old, truck is 15 yrs old.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2021, 05:39:05 PM »
Perhaps.
But I can and did wear out a 1989 VW Jetta. One can replace suspension parts, engines and transmissions - but when their mounting points are disappearing due to the corrosive effects of a few decades of Ohio salt...it is worn out, to me.

When I no longer trust my vehicle. It is replaced. The kid that bought my Jetta thought it was much better than others he'd looked at.

I've never been a wealthy man - but since starting a family in 1967 - have always had a vehicle I trusted, for the family. Except for the 2 yr old Jetta - every vehicle was purchased new. Our Scion is 9 yrs old, truck is 15 yrs old.
Stig
Very common in the rust belt. I have seen trucks with nothing left of the body but the engine and transmission were fine. I have also seen scooters that were severely abused that still ran but wasn't worth repairing just parting out.  But I have rarely  seen a scooter that was maintained and took care of that was wore out.  I use to trade for new  vechicles every two years simply because I wanted something different or they no longer fit my needs and they weren't that much money.   Now to replace my Diesel truck your looking at 80k to 100k .
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2021, 11:27:22 PM »
some more work completed on the scooter...replaced the old windscreen with a new, clear one. Big improvement. I also replaced the rear shock mount rubber and metal bushings. The old ones were wallowed out, resulting in too much free play. It was surprisingly easy to remove them (put a socket on them and pounded them out with a rubber mallet). Even easier to install the new ones..added a little silicone grease and slid them in with finger pressure.  Bought new fuel line and will get that installed tomorrow, along with a new fuel filter.

Planning on replacing the front shock top mount rubber bushings tomorrow, too. I know it's not the same as new shocks but it's a very cheap upgrade to the old, worn bushings. Probably $4 per shock vs $80 each for brand new ones!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2021, 08:35:06 AM »
@ Iahawk, Getting better and better. Following closely your progress. Hv a nice sunday.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2021, 07:33:45 PM »
thanks, Ruffus! ... done now after about 4 hours of work today...a lift would be fantastic, I seem to spend all my time bent over or sitting on the floor. Getting a little stiff.

accomplished today? - replaced front shock upper rubber bushings (realized I need to replace the bottom mounts as well, there is some play in there. still cheap, total parts for those will be about $15 for both mounts (I love Honda part prices).

Replaced fuel lines (motion pro brand) and fuel filter (OEM) as well as used new fuel line spring clamps. The original ones are similar to the Kymco ones, very tiny and fussy to work with.

took variator apart, cleaned, installed new Dr Pully sliders (21 gr) using no grease, installed new belt and sanded clutch pads and inner bell. Installed freshly painted cvt cover. Getting closer to the end!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2021, 07:39:32 PM »
final work for the day was installing front wheel...with everything in the front cleaned up and greased it is looking much better!

Replaced the coolant drain bolt sealing washer with new copper one (had to cut the old one off, couldn't slide it off the bolt).

Installed rear wheel just so scoot looks more like it should...waiting for rear swingarm with new bearing before I can button it all back up.

Finally, including a pic of 2 great purchases I've made..an inexpensive but large assortment of both fuel line spring clamps and copper sealing washers. Both less than $15 each on Amazon. Saves me a lot of aggravation having these around.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2021, 07:53:29 PM »
@hawk, first class job.
Yes, a lift is from a certain age (and work volume) a real gem.
Not a little bit of corrosion on this frame. This  new hoses pep up too.
Those engineers knew what they did with this suspension..must roll like on air.
Watch out NOT to put copper washers direct onto blank alu parts, might corrode and eat off.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2021, 08:42:19 PM »
Watch out NOT to put copper washers direct onto blank alu parts, might corrode and eat off.

thanks, Ruffus....and whoops....my copper washer IS directly against the bare aluminum water pump...that needs to be changed out to an aluminum sealing washer?

(yes, frame is completely rust free..I didn't examine it prior to purchase and got lucky)
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2021, 09:06:43 PM »
@hawk, don't worry too much about this copper washer. Will not eat up an huge amount, but by time it's "blossoming" around this area. So if you have the chance, put either silicon grease, dielectric grease or change to alu washer, if available.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2021, 09:23:03 PM »
I just purchased a set of aluminum washers that will likely last me a lifetime! Thanks for the guidance, Ruffus. Amazon 1 day delivery is crazy...order Sunday afternoon, have it delivered to my door by Monday afternoon!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2021, 11:28:03 PM »
Good work Hawk!
Keep the photos coming - really fun to watch the progress.
My Burgman 400 was a 2yr left-over model when I purchased new. There was rust on nearly every single frame weld....and many of the small hex head nuts were corroding in a year. I used to look over at my son's 3 yr old Honda CB500X and marvel at the difference in the finish of the Honda's bits - big and small.

Burgman forum suggested my 400's corrosion was unusual.
Stored in the Atlantic? I couldn't get ahead of the corrosion fast enough with my brush & can of ACF-50.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2021, 12:51:02 AM »
Glad it's not a bore. There's something cathartic about posting pics and describing the work after it's done, to others who can appreciate it. I will probably have about 40 or 50 hours into this plus about $700 on top of purchase price. I fnd it very satisfying to watch it come back with a new lease on life. More pics to come!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2021, 12:53:25 AM »
I do seem to recall on other forums that Suzuki and Kawasakis are said to be more prone to rusty bits then Hondas.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2021, 06:36:25 AM »
I do seem to recall on other forums that Suzuki and Kawasakis are said to be more prone to rusty bits then Hondas.

Just to balance the books, my HondaPCX bought new was looking pretty second-hand after 2 UK winters. The ally swing arm was really badly corroded and no amount of scrubbing would restore it.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2021, 01:55:54 AM »
in case anyone ever needs an aluminum washer..I've got a few extra! Probably a lifetime supply?
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()