Author Topic: Scooters and Marriage  (Read 802 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Scooters and Marriage
« on: June 21, 2021, 05:54:32 PM »
Well, today is our 24th wedding anniversary. Being as yesterday was Father's Day, I naturally wanted to do some riding, and my bride decided to come along for a bit yesterday evening. I brought her over to the church parking lot and let her do some laps on my ADV 150. It was her first time driving a scooter. I had suggested it to her in the past, and she seemed hesitant. But once I got her on there, she was having a blast! When she got off, she told me, "I could drive something like that!" Ever since I got my scooter, I've been telling her she needs one too. I don't know that I have her convinced yet, but I think I at least put a dent in the armor of resistance. I'd love to get her a PCX 150 and think it would be a perfect bike for her to cruise around with me. Open to other suggestions from you guys as well.

Anyway, thought you guys would enjoy seeing a photo of my better half on my bike, since Stig says I am not good looking enough to post any more selfies!  >:(

On the way home, we stopped at Dollar General to look at anniversary cards. We like to just show each other the card we would have gotten one another, since a card just takes up space in a drawer once you spend 15 seconds looking at it. I think the one she found was extremely fitting, given our evening activity. You don't see a scooter anniversary card every day!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Scooters and Marriage
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 06:14:59 PM »
Oh, and which one of you is going to figure out what scooter that is on the front of the card?
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 06:51:28 PM »
Congrats to both, anniversary and your ladys decision.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 07:03:32 PM »
Happy Anniversary both!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 08:01:59 PM »
great pics...and did you marry your wife when she was underage? No way that lady has been married 24 years! You chose well. Even better if she decides to take up scootering.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 08:21:42 PM »
great pics...and did you marry your wife when she was underage? No way that lady has been married 24 years! You chose well. Even better if she decides to take up scootering.

I'm 47. Of course, I can't tell you how old my wife is, because a lady never reveals her age. However, I can say that my wife is two years younger than I am.  8)

I'll pass your flattering words along to her, and remind her that these are the type of kind, generous people with whom she can expect to associate should she let me get her that scooter...
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 11:39:15 PM »
That's a nice post!
And a lovely lady!
Maybe it is the angle of the photo,  because she looks like she's  astride at least a 300cc scoot, not a 150!
Or is she petite?
Anyway great photo!
Thanks for sharing.
Stig
*..and as for cards, my daughter handed me one yesterday that was blurring my vision before I was half way through all she'd written. And it wasn't the cataracts!😊
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 07:46:10 AM »

*..and as for cards, my daughter handed me one yesterday that was blurring my vision before I was half way through all she'd written. And it wasn't the cataracts!😊

You old softy! Good to hear Tom.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 01:50:46 PM »
You old softy! Good to hear Tom.

I was thinking the same thing; the old Army medic is getting soft in his old(er) age!

And hey, guess what my wife told me this morning as she was leaving for work? She could see herself scooting around with me! I think I've got an opening!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 02:33:08 PM »
Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 05:13:05 PM »
Maybe another scooter in your future?
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 05:49:58 PM »
Maybe another scooter in your future?

Yes, I'm thinking a white PCX unless someone else can make an argument for a different make/model that is a better first scooter option for my better half. I know there are lots of options in the 150-200 class. My reasoning for the PCX is largely due to its proven performance, relatively abundant crop of low-mileage, used units at affordable prices and the fact that it shares the same engine with my ADV 150 and probably a bunch of other components too. So, maintenance and such ought to be pretty straightforward when working on one bike or the other.

Interestingly, Honda upgraded the engine on the 2021 PCS to a slightly larger 160cc version. So, no longer has the same engine as my ADV 150. Though I wonder if this newer engine won't also eventually be featured in future model years of the ADV. The 2022 ADV 150 has the same engine as my 2021.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 10:24:28 PM »
Yes, I'm thinking a white PCX unless someone else can make an argument for a different make/model that is a better first scooter option for my better half. I know there are lots of options in the 150-200 class. My reasoning for the PCX is largely due to its proven performance, relatively abundant crop of low-mileage, used units at affordable prices and the fact that it shares the same engine with my ADV 150 and probably a bunch of other components too. So, maintenance and such ought to be pretty straightforward when working on one bike or the other.

Interestingly, Honda upgraded the engine on the 2021 PCS to a slightly larger 160cc version. So, no longer has the same engine as my ADV 150. Though I wonder if this newer engine won't also eventually be featured in future model years of the ADV. The 2022 ADV 150 has the same engine as my 2021.
Sounds like a game plan to me and like you said your already familiar with the Honda. If your wife has not rode before I would suggest a motorcycle safety course, well worth the time and money for a new rider.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 01:40:25 AM »
The PCX has one issue maybe.
2 if you buy older ones. Early models had center stand pivot as part of engine case. And they BREAK the casting.
All models are a pain to check valves. "Start by removing the tail light and work your way forward removing panels....."
Owners love them. They just ignore the valves.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 09:09:22 AM »
Sounds like a game plan to me and like you said your already familiar with the Honda. If your wife has not rode before I would suggest a motorcycle safety course, well worth the time and money for a new rider.

Wise words from KK and thoroughly endorsed!  As a sage old guy once said to me “if you think training is expensive, just cost the alternative!”
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()