Author Topic: Replacing my Yuasa Battery  (Read 572 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Replacing my Yuasa Battery
« on: June 29, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »

This is the 5th (hot!) summer riding with my Liberty150i's little 6Ah battery.
(this is the first scooter that I couldn't stuff a bigger battery in! - for my winter riding)
Above is good little video I've found - put out by YUASA for working with a new battery.
I'm using a Deltran Battery Tender Junior to charge and maintain my new battery this afternoon.

For the first time, because it's a little 6Ah battery - I chose to go with an "add the acid " Yuasa battery.

Tips:
The neg connection comes off first - goes back on last.
Some say add dielectric grease to the new posts.
Let it stand after adding acid & before loosely replacing caps during charging.

Need two thumbs to secure the caps after fully charged.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snug in there!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing my Yuasa Battery
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 07:08:50 PM »
Gave up on the old lead acid batteries years ago, with AGM batteries no acid or spills to deal with. Tomorrow will replace 3 batteries in the Xiciting's with True gel from Bike Master. Since I already have a Lithium battery and charger for the BMW I will give it another try.

A lot of scooters have the battery mounted on its side so you have to go with a AGM.  Oddly enough the old Yamaha Riva I purchased came with a Lithium battery.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 07:11:11 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 08:35:59 PM »
Stig - that's the same process I've gone through with my last 3(?) Yuasa batteries. Kansas Kymco - is there a different procedure with the AGM batteries? Do they come charged and ready to go?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 09:40:57 PM »
Stig - that's the same process I've gone through with my last 3(?) Yuasa batteries. Kansas Kymco - is there a different procedure with the AGM batteries? Do they come charged and ready to go?
Yes , charged and ready to go. Crossbolt and I use Chrome AGM batteries off of ebay. Dirt cheap and never leak acid, completely sealed. I will send you a picture of one with the information center built into the battery. It tells the voltage, number of starts, and beeps if voltage gets low.  In the 500 Xciting's I use the Bike Master true gel because a little more difficult to start.

The only rust/corrosion  on the old 1985 Riva 180Z is where the old battery leaked acid.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 09:44:57 PM by Kansas kymco »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 11:10:04 PM »
Gave up on the old lead acid batteries years ago, with AGM batteries no acid or spills to deal with. Tomorrow will replace 3 batteries in the Xiciting's with True gel from Bike Master. Since I already have a Lithium battery and charger for the BMW I will give it another try.

A lot of scooters have the battery mounted on its side so you have to go with a AGM.  Oddly enough the old Yamaha Riva I purchased came with a Lithium battery.
Yeah, I replaced that side leaning 12Ah Burgman battery with a 14Ah. Slid right in.
KK. you reference keeping several bikes serviced at the ssme time. Curious , so gotta ask, I alternate rides with my two scooters - do you cycle through your collection each ride?
Or, are they repaired and serviced for re-sale? Or, maybe doing a Jay Leno thing. Just collecting because you can?

Stig
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 11:12:34 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 02:03:27 PM »
Hoping to get out for a ride tomorrow - first ride with new tire valve and new battery.
Sooo, I will be carrying the equipment to replace that tire valve, if it fails, a pump, and the old(good) battery if the new one acts up!

I believe this is referred to as, "belt and braces". (belt & suspenders)

Oh, yes - will be using my new helmet!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 03:05:19 PM »
Yeah, I replaced that side leaning 12Ah Burgman battery with a 14Ah. Slid right in.
KK. you reference keeping several bikes serviced at the ssme time. Curious , so gotta ask, I alternate rides with my two scooters - do you cycle through your collection each ride?
Or, are they repaired and serviced for re-sale? Or, maybe doing a Jay Leno thing. Just collecting because you can?

Stig
A,little bit of all three scenarios.  Try to ride each bike/scooter for a couple of weeks before cycling through to the next one. With all my projects this year I'm way behind.  Some of my new arrivals need tires before I trust them on the highway. Like Ruffus I change the oil and gear lube first thing when I get them along with flushing the brake fluid and changing the antifreeze.    Last two arrivals had 1400 miles and 1600 miles on them complete with original tires.

I will not change tires anymore so during the slow time of winter I'll take them down to Dan's Cycle and have parts order in new tires and change them out. His prices on tires is competitive with ebay so I patronize him and keep his shop busy during slow times. I have bought many new motorcycle's, UTV'S  and Jet Skies from him over the decades and one new Yamaha Zuma 125.

It wasn't until lately I got into scooters. The realization that I'm not as young and flexible as I use to be.  Stig I can completly relate to you using a kitchen chair to get back up from the ground.  The new building will have a motorcycle lift to make servicing easier where I no longer have to sit on the ground .

One of my retired friends collects BMW air heads and Cushman scooters and has a complete machine shop in his back yard. I met him dropping of a truck load of usable stuff to the re-use-it center,  ( they sell building supplies and other items and donate the money to charities). He volunteered work there until his wife came down with cancer.  He is also the person who got me into the Romeo rides.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 03:11:45 PM »
Hoping to get out for a ride tomorrow - first ride with new tire valve and new battery.
Sooo, I will be carrying the equipment to replace that tire valve, if it fails, a pump, and the old(good) battery if the new one acts up!

I believe this is referred to as, "belt and braces". (belt & suspenders)

Oh, yes - will be using my new helmet!

Stig
After yesterday's low battery scooter retrieval I will make sure I take my Lithium jump box, (it's about the size of a cell phone and can jump start a car).

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()