Author Topic: Buying a shed  (Read 553 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Buying a shed
« on: June 30, 2021, 09:06:18 AM »
Buying a shed is like picking options on a car. I wanted a small shed for working on motorcycle's/scooters.  I hate to be cold or hot so it will be climate controled.  Start with a basic 12'x12' shed $3410.  Add a extra 1'  height $205. 5/8" plywood under the metal roof $240. Concrete anchors $80. Hurricane screws $12.  A/C frame out $60.  Optional 26 gauge metal roof $50.  Materials cost surcharge 30% $1211.  Tax $472.32 final cost for my basic shed $5720.32 still thinking of adding a window $240.  Already have  the A/C unit, insulation, wire and electrical and led lighting $ no charge. I will purchase a motorcycle lift $ undetermined.

Now add city permit $95. I will pour concrete slab for it to sit on and a slab in front of the building $500. roughly for materials and a lot of work.  I have to make a drawing of placement on my lot for the city to issue a permit and submit for review.

I wanted to have a new 3 car garage built this year but will put it off because of the 30% surcharge.  If I go over 720 sq ft I will have to have the neighbors  sign off, city zoning.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 09:19:08 AM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a shed
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 01:40:34 PM »
When I was being interviewed for a job as crew leader for the county (a State position).
I learned that the 2 guys who'd ran the program had been fired - couldn't work under a woman.
Job was to supervise up to 50 men & women a month who would be working off their assistance checks and stamps.
State assistance $$ rec'd divided by min. wage = hours they must work for me.

I had nearly 20 yrs in Hospitals, and 1 year at Wright Patt. AFB in the masonry shop (hired thru Air Force's veteran's preference program)
"Can you build 4 concession stands for a new softball complex?"
Yes.
"What would you do if you arrived at worker's house and they refused to come to work?"
Ask for a coffee and sit on their porch to find out what's going on. Maybe they don't have child care, etc., etc. (20 yrs interviewing psych patients came into play here)
"Can you work for a woman supervisor?"
Yes. (years of Head Nurses)
"Thanks for coming in, Major Tom. We'll let you know."

Week later I rec'd a letter - started a 30 yr job with great benefits and a pension.

Anyway - building things with this 'crew' was like herding cats some days. But we got it done. We painted most every public building and pc. of equip. in the county. Cleared overgrown cemeteries with tractors. Roofed, floored, built offices in buildings, poured concrete, built 4 large picnic shelters, 4 small 'smoker's' shelters, felled 31 giant hardwoods at the Children's Home, putting up 171 cords of fire wood for auction...
And rec'd many letters of commendation from a wide range of agencies in the county.
My secret? Treat these people like equals, not welfare clients.
That went so well, the agency Director, Commissioners & Sheriff assigned me to supervise a van-load of prisoners one week a month - doing community service. I used the same attitude with the prisoners - which worked not quite so well, some days. (essentially - I too was doing community serv. 5 days a month!...and I wasn't guilty of anything!) 
They are still some of my best friends across the city. Sadly - the State discontinued this program. But the county kept me on as a senior carpenter and maint. repairman.

Anyway - we'd build that shed and pour your pad....for a case of Moon Pies.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 02:45:06 PM »
To bad you weren't available now, I would have bought you and your crew a pickup load of Moon Pies. Kind of funny you mention that. One of the things I like to do is anyone that works for me I provide lunch and drinks during the day.  Last year the city through a grant the city put in sidewalks. The company that got the bid had all Mexican employees with a crew leader that spoke some English.  When they got to my driveway I went to McDonald's and bought a sack of sausage McMuffins for them and cold bottled water. It was over 100F that day and they did 3 driveway approaches.  The Mennonites that put in my basement I provided lunch for two weeks. The Mexicans who built my carport provided pizza.  You get the gest of it.

I like to treat people the way I would like to be treated.  Same goes with my Collies they travel with me on excursions to pick up scooters. Sawyer had been to 29 states by the time he was 2 years old Sasha being younger has not been to as many. 

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 02:46:22 PM »
great story, Stig!  And Kansas Kymco - yeah, I've heard building materials are crazy expensive due to a lot of different factors. Is that 30% surcharge based on the already inflated price of materials or based on your old estimate plus current materials cost?

A nice little air conditioned / heated shed full of bikes with a lift sounds like a nice place to be.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 02:48:39 PM »
and KK, great to hear about how you treat the people who do work for you. That says a lot about someone's character...how they treat those in 'lower level' positions than them. Nice job by both you guys.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 02:53:24 PM »
great story, Stig!  And Kansas Kymco - yeah, I've heard building materials are crazy expensive due to a lot of different factors. Is that 30% surcharge based on the already inflated price of materials or based on your old estimate plus current materials cost?

A nice little air conditioned / heated shed full of bikes with a lift sounds like a nice place to be.
Last year they had a 28% surcharge that became permanent.  This year another 30% surcharge  (was 20%) but a hour before I bought the building it went up 10%.   

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 03:00:13 PM »
and KK, great to hear about how you treat the people who do work for you. That says a lot about someone's character...how they treat those in 'lower level' positions than them. Nice job by both you guys.
One of my inspiration was a book about Sam Walton who implementated  (MBWA) management by walking around. He would show up at 5 am with a box of donuts to the  loading dock and ask the workers how they good improve things. Sam Walton also drove a old Ford truck with his dog Blue.

To bad about his offspring who don't value his same philosophies .
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 03:02:42 PM by Kansas kymco »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 03:23:58 PM »
One of my inspiration was a book about Sam Walton who implementated  (MBWA) management by walking around. He would show up at 5 am with a box of donuts to the  loading dock and ask the workers how they good improve things. Sam Walton also drove a old Ford truck with his dog Blue.

To bad about his offspring who don't value his same philosophies .
Works with sailors, too. MBWA not taught at the academy....Golden Rule taught neither at the academy nor MBA mills....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 03:39:47 PM »
I'm cheap. I'd most likely build it myself with minimal help doing only what I cannot do myself just to save a few dollars.
I've built garages (with dedicated ground rod and 240 v circuits for power equipment- really heavy direct bury wire is tough to work with even in an open 45 ft trench with sweeps and entry boxes at each end) and a few sheds on concrete (only needed to hire a cement truck to deliver the concrete), bolted to concrete floor and up to and including finish roofing and gutters. Fnished several basements and rebuilt bathrooms and kitchens including all stud work, all electrical, and even some plumbing. When I replaced my failing house A/C and furnace with a Geothermal system I ran the electrical to a dedicated panel myself (again, big gauge wire is hard to pull over 30+ feet through conduit with bends along the way).

Just completed finishing my son's basement into a BR, bathroom, office and family room as well as building a new deck with composite (my second one- both were the easy projects).

If I had a smaller garage now I'd likely have already built such a shed with heat and A/C
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 04:22:01 PM »
I'm cheap. I'd most likely build it myself with minimal help doing only what I cannot do myself just to save a few dollars.
I've built garages (with dedicated ground rod and 240 v circuits for power equipment- really heavy direct bury wire is tough to work with even in an open 45 ft trench with sweeps and entry boxes at each end) and a few sheds on concrete (only needed to hire a cement truck to deliver the concrete), bolted to concrete floor and up to and including finish roofing and gutters. Fnished several basements and rebuilt bathrooms and kitchens including all stud work, all electrical, and even some plumbing. When I replaced my failing house A/C and furnace with a Geothermal system I ran the electrical to a dedicated panel myself (again, big gauge wire is hard to pull over 30+ feet through conduit with bends along the way).

Just completed finishing my son's basement into a BR, bathroom, office and family room as well as building a new deck with composite (my second one- both were the easy projects).

If I had a smaller garage now I'd likely have already built such a shed with heat and A/C
Last year I  dug a 91' trench by hand 2.5' deep and put in 1 1/4" conduit to my 10'x 40' building by hand because I couldn't get a machine in there. Ran 10-3 wire so know what you mean it's a pain to pull heavy gage wire. This small building will only put in 12-2 for 20 amp service, small A/C and led lighting. I will pour the concrete  (with the help of some young bucks) myself. Will insulate and finish the inside myself. While being frugal myself and time constraints a call to Sturdi-built and they will deliver and anchor the building to my slab.  I can appreciate people who have the skills to do it all.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 01:44:19 AM »
I just read that lumber prices fell by 40% is that true?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 02:56:37 AM »
I just read that lumber prices fell by 40% is that true?
Stig
Actually the prices have gone up around here and will probably remain high until they depleate their current inventory.  I was planning on a new garage this year but will put it off until prices come down. Was at Home Depot yesterday and a 2x4 8' was $9.88 . It took Sturdi-built almost a year to raise prices until they went through the cheaper lumber. I suspect it will take them a while to go through the expensive lumber before they come down. They purchase lumber by the rail car load.

I wanted to have this done before winter so I bit the bullet and paid the extortion fee for the small building.  And to think i could have bought another scooter for the added fee. LOL

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 03:18:21 AM »
Also found out today garage doors just went up 50%

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »
Also found out today garage doors just went up 50%

I wonder what metal studs are going for?
I built maybe 75 offices using only metal studs (& a couple fire proof wood 2x4's to hang the doors) Supervisors were constantly having their "next great idea" for revamping their units....or entrances to their buildings, etc., etc.
Still have black metal bits in my finger tip from shooting a few million stud screws!

How about treated....is it crazy high, too?

Yeah, I bought lumber by the gross. banded - then would return 20% as warped once the band was cut.
County did a good thing - told me to "buy local" for years. my go to yard was Brain Lumber, founded 1868.
Employee there misread my signature ("Tom") on a county purchase order - and for the next 25 yrs greeted me, "Hey ART, how ya' doone?"
It was kinda nice being greeted by my name - even if it was the wrong name!
Their outbuilding was pot belly stove heated. Had coffee there while he was milling my wood to specs, watching the snow fall.
Good times.

Crazy prices now
- did I pay $.88 for stud lumber at one time?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 03:18:53 PM »
Stig I can remember paying .94 cents for a 2x4.  I beleive in buying local myself if the price difference isn't to great. I don't want to have to drive to Hutchison or Salina to get supplies if the local lumber yard closes.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()