Author Topic: observation about our forum  (Read 675 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
observation about our forum
« on: June 30, 2021, 04:20:52 PM »
I frequent just a few forums...this one being my main one. One thing that is really different on our Kymco forum is that is not all about technical / equipment questions. There are pictures, silly stories, reminiscing about old bikes..friends..places we've been...places we want  to go..

Most other forums seem to be purely a technical question and nothing else. This little forum of ours is a refreshing little break.

...and we don't even care what you ride!! any brand, any style...it's all good!

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

big blue

• View Profile
Re: observation about our forum
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 04:23:26 PM »
Very true... ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 04:29:22 PM »
I frequent just a few forums...this one being my main one. One thing that is really different on our Kymco forum is that is not all about technical / equipment questions. There are pictures, silly stories, reminiscing about old bikes..friends..places we've been...places we want  to go..

Most other forums seem to be purely a technical question and nothing else. This little forum of ours is a refreshing little break.

...and we don't even care what you ride!! any brand, any style...it's all good!
I concur Iahawk and people  offer words of encouragement . I especially like our members from overseas and there pictures as well.  The common denominator is we like to ride.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 06:17:14 PM »
Yes, this forum is personal! You can dive into the technical nitty gritty or talk about coffee and donuts. Or family or past jobs and military service or whatever. It's great, and they even let guys who drive Hondas hang around!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 07:55:34 PM »
A very respectable and respectful place at that.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 03:21:14 AM »
I'm active on four forums.  Luckily forums aren't like wives.  You can be on more than one and they don't get jealous of each other. 

None of the forums I'm on are mainly about technical stuff although there is some of that on them. 

By far the best....and worst of the forums is Adventure rider.  I believe it's the biggest motorcycle/scooter forum in the world.  It has some of everything.  I have probably met close to a thousand riders who are members of that forum. 

I'm on the Motorcycle Alabama forum.  It's pretty small but most of the regulars on the forum know each other and have ridden together.  It used to be much more active.

The Maxi scoots forum seems to be dying.  They used to get together once a year for a few days of riding but that didn't happen last year and won't happen this year.  Sometimes there are no posts on the forum for days.

The Kymco forum.  It's a friendly forum and there is more than just technical discussion.  It's seems to be pretty active for the small number of members.  Unfortunately no one seems to be running the forum.  There are no sub forums for the Like 150i and I doubt there will be one for any of the new models.  There are technical issues with the forum that just aren't fixed.

Unfortunately most forums seem to be shrinking as more people join FaceBook groups.  I much prefer the forum formats over Facebook.   
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 04:56:20 PM »
  I much prefer the forum formats over Facebook.

Biggest problem with Facebook groups is lack of organization (no threads) and lack of searchability (can't find helpful info after a few days because its gets buried in a sea of other posts).
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 03:48:35 AM »
I've always enjoyed Kymco Forum, and have few complaints - which I'll list here since you asked! One is the constant error message at the bottom of each page: "An Error Has Occurred!", whch always makes me think I've created some kind of mess.  And the other is that there's little information/discussion of non-USA Kymco models like my Kymco Kiwi.  Other than those two beefs, It's always a pleasant visit.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 03:50:42 AM by JJJoseph »

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 08:07:20 AM »
I don't care for Farcebook, Zuckerberg is way to manipulative for my taste. Rodger Waters of Pink Floyd Fame told Zuckerberg off when he wanted to use one of his songs for advertising. 

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 12:52:42 PM »
Facebook has a lot if disadvantages compared to a forum.  It is mainly set up for people with short attention spans.  Besides not being able to find stuff, it's not a good place to post anything long or detailed.  I asked a guy who runs a motorcycle club on facebook why he used FB instead of a forum.  This was after he told me he hated FB.  His reason was that it was much easier to post pictures on FB.  Many forum require a hosting site for pictures. 

I think another reason is that FB is set up to work on phones.  Many people today do everything on their phones.

Like it or not, FB is taking a lot of people away from forums. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 02:04:59 PM »
I belong to a couple Facebook groups for the Honda ADV 150. They are OK, but I don't enjoy the interaction there as much as I do here. It IS much easier to post photos on Facebook. And Facebook sort of puts you in a much larger universe. I mean, hundreds of millions of people are on Facebook every day anyway, so joining a group there puts you in contact with folks from all over the world in an instant. Still, not a platform really designed for a true forum experience.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 09:22:03 PM »
picked up a great recipe for cheesy biscuits when I went looking for a toilet last week in the museum of natural history down in Gatlin'burger.

stay tooned!

(I paid $15 for parking and could have kissed the guy for letting me in!)

Highly recommend the smaller version of the Mill restaurant in Pigeon Forge, across the street from the big one.
Short wait, great dinner, friendly service, cozy corner table with a nice view - less $$ than you'd expect for the same.
Statement on the menu: " If another restaurant serves you warm bread like we do, ask them : 'do you make it fresh here?' , 'do you grind your own flour?' , 'did you make the plate it was served on?!"  :)

Very friendly people here - even if the tourists were a pain. Lady in a small shop thanked my wife and daughter for their purchases saying, " thank you for helping me pay my electric bill and buying my groceries!"

Stig
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 09:48:14 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2021, 03:23:05 AM »
I belong to a couple Facebook groups for the Honda ADV 150. They are OK, but I don't enjoy the interaction there as much as I do here. It IS much easier to post photos on Facebook. And Facebook sort of puts you in a much larger universe. I mean, hundreds of millions of people are on Facebook every day anyway, so joining a group there puts you in contact with folks from all over the world in an instant. Still, not a platform really designed for a true forum experience.

Hundreds of millions may be on facebook but how many look at what you post?  How many are interested in scooters or motorcycles? 

I regularly interact with people all over the world on Adventure Rider.  Because of that forum I have been able to meet and ride with many other riders from all over. 

I really like reading and posting ride reports.  It is really hard to do a ride report on facebook except to post a video.  I have never seen a good ride report on facebook.  I have read some really epic ones on ADV. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 03:41:51 AM »
Klav- I regularly check out reviews on older scooters on ADV rider. I will have to check out the forum.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 05:27:04 AM »
I use both platforms for different purposes. Before I buy any bike or scooter I join different Facebook groups because members at Facebook tend to post more photos.
When I really like a spisific brand or model, I then start looking at forums for possible common  technical problems appliccable to the specific model I am interested in.
I only join a forum once I buy a specific motorcycle or scooter - and only focus on reading posts about technical issues appliccable to the model I bought, as well as technical issues  on different models.

I could be wrong but I got the impression that quality technical advice  can mainly  be found at forums - maybe because  people with real knowledge and experience are usually from the older generation who prefer not to hang around on Facebook.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()