Author Topic: Ordered my first led headlight bulb for the Riva Z  (Read 470 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Ordered my first led headlight bulb for the Riva Z
« on: July 01, 2021, 03:50:57 PM »
On the 1985 Yamaha Riva Z I'm rejuvenating  the low beam was burnt out so I ordered a low powered led headlight bulb.  I don't ride at night so it's a safety thing to have a headlight to be seen.  I bought new tires and changed the oil so far. No brake fluid (manual drum brakes). No antifreeze  (air cooled ).  The most expensive thing in its rejuvenation is having the seat reupholstered $170.  My favorite seat cover place in Greese does not have a pattern for the seat so I'm having it done locally.  The side panels were scratched up so will repaint them.  The 1985 scooter has 2601 origanal miles.  I did siphon out the old fuel and replaced with E-0 fuel with Seafoam stabilizer.   I was pleased when I changed the oil and it looked like fresh oil. It also had a new lithium battery installed.  When done will post a picture,  now the scooter is naked.

My understanding is this scooter was used for commuting 3 miles back and forth a day to K-State.  It still has the K-State parking permit on the back..I stripped the old pin stripping off because it was pink. After peeling it off where it overlapped I seen that it was originally gold to match the wheels but with time faded to pink and was original.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Ordered my first led headlight bulb for the Riva Z
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 03:08:25 AM »
I can't wait to see a pic of the scoot! Sounds like a great old bike.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 08:25:41 AM »
The weird thing about the Riva is the front and back wheels are like a Vespa with suspension only on one side. The tire rims just bolt to the brake hub so about a 5 min job to take both wheels off.  The side panels have two Allen head bolts each on the bottom and the top tabs slide into a groove so about 5 minutes to remove both side panels. Maintenance wise it's well thought out for access.  Access to the headlight is removing two screws as well. Got to love the simplicity of this machine. 

The one thing the Riva is notorious for is a vacuum operated choke on the carburetor. The later version did away with this unreliable apparatus. Some just replace the carburetor with a manual choke model..

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 11:29:52 AM »
Over the years I've read a couple of times that the only maker who might equal or exceed the quality of build of a Honda, is Yamaha.
They'd be the only two I'd look at if buying another motorcycle.
Honda suits me well ....quality, reliability first...speed  & power second. Honda doesn't often even post HP figures. My kinda people.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 01:39:01 PM »
Over the years I've read a couple of times that the only maker who might equal or exceed the quality of build of a Honda, is Yamaha.
Honda suits me well ....quality, reliability first...speed  & power second. Honda doesn't often even post HP figures. My kinda people.
Stig

All the Japanese manufacturers make quality products these days.  I currently own two Kawasakis and one Yamaha in addition to my Kymco.  They have been 100% reliable which is more than I can say for my Kymco.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 03:07:27 PM »
Stig
I've owned mostly Yamaha's growing up and then Honda's then sprinkle in a few Kawasaki's and all have been reliable.  My first Suzuki was the 400 Burgman.  I can't complain about the Kymco's really haven't had much issues with them either. I did have a couple of issues with the Kawasaki jet ski.  I know Kawasaki rebrands some smaller UTV'S from Kymco and sold the 300 Kymco scooter under it's  brand in Europe.

The parts distribution network of the big 4 Japanese mfg can't be beat. I think Kymco should have better support in the USA.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 09:59:40 PM »
The parts distribution network of the big 4 Japanese mfg can't be beat. I think Kymco should have better support in the USA.

the parts availability and low pricing is amazing on the old Honda Helix! I just ordered a new rear brake switch/ starter safety switch, about a 12 inch long piece with 3 wires connectors...for my 25 year old scoot...new OEM for $12.99. Still available and cheap! Gotta love the Japanese parts supply.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 05:48:42 AM »
the parts availability and low pricing is amazing on the old Honda Helix! I just ordered a new rear brake switch/ starter safety switch, about a 12 inch long piece with 3 wires connectors...for my 25 year old scoot...new OEM for $12.99. Still available and cheap! Gotta love the Japanese parts supply.
Today I purchased a mirror to replace one I broke on my BMW. The mirror is a reproduction of the factory mirror from Germany.  The one mirror was nearly 1/4 the price I paid for the Yamaha Riva Z.  Parts are insanely expensive for the BMW.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()