Author Topic: Just remembered - I'm riding with Dynabeads!  (Read 282 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Just remembered - I'm riding with Dynabeads!
« on: July 03, 2021, 11:39:02 AM »
Well, never felt I was getting abused before putting in the beads ---' BUT ANYTHING that helps that rear tire last longer is worth a try!
Will get around to putting them in the Liberty's front Angel...some day.
Do they feel any different?
No-eye-deer.....Ride wasn't harsh without them.
With the valve stem out...That big hole in the rim was too inviting not to try 'em.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 11:43:11 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Just remembered - I'm riding with Dynabeads!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 12:17:28 PM »
I can't see them making much difference at the speeds you ride but will look foward to your update. I know on my Kymco Xciting 250 that already had new Michelin City grips but I would get a vibration over 55 mph. I had Dan's re-balance the front tire and the vibration went away.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 12:48:17 PM »
I can't see them making much difference at the speeds you ride but will look foward to your update. I know on my Kymco Xciting 250 that already had new Michelin City grips but I would get a vibration over 55 mph. I had Dan's re-balance the front tire and the vibration went away.
I  mentioned the paint dot on tire when I took the Angels in to my dealer. One fellow said that's a mark indicating Bob passed the tire for inspection. Others offered no ideas.
LOT of confidence dealing this these boys. They also do not balance scooter tires....in spite of what the service counterman tells you. "Yeah, he's balancing 'em back there!"...pointing into a dark corner.

Stig
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 01:57:37 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 12:58:10 PM »
@Stig, this is what I say.
Cheaters and nitwits all around there. Most of socalled "mechanics" do not have basic knowledge of anything. And such people should I trust with my life. See dots on your tyre!!
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 01:44:11 PM »
I am pretty sure that the beads work, but for at least 10 years I have been using "Ride On" as balance aide=no problems and this stiff may add some sealing for small holes,   Not cheap at about  $15 per wheel, but works in scooter and MC tires I change in Garage.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 03:41:41 PM »
I  mentioned the paint dot on tire when I took the Angels in to my dealer. One fellow said that's a mark indicating Bob passed the tire for inspection. Others offered no ideas.
LOT of confidence dealing this these boys. They also do not balance scooter tires....in spite of what the service counterman tells you. "Yeah, he's balancing 'em back there!"...pointing into a dark corner.

Stig
I know my dealer balances the tire because I watched him do it.  Yea I go back into the restricted area and visit with the owner. He has a machine to change the tire without scratching the rim and a spin balance machine. 

With no exception I know the job will be done correctly when I take it to him. In fact I know just about everyone in the dealership, done business with him for 35 years.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 03:46:11 PM by Kansas kymco »

NomadCF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 04:22:22 PM »
For years I've been changing my own tires on all my two wheelers. And I went from balancing them to using  using self self balancers (like Dynabeads, ride-on, slims, etc etc) to not needing anything. At least in the last 8 years I haven't needed balancers of any kind and they spot on. Even on my darked tires on my 1800 and 800 they ended up not needing anything.

That being said Dynabeads (or even air puffs) "work" at speed. But they fall back to the bottom at every stop or under (I think) 8 mph. At those speeds I doubt you honestly feel a shake or wobble that the beads could have off set anyways. Oh and you should make a note that you put beads in. Otherwise when you or someone else changes your tire. They may get a little upset when the beads go falling out when they break the bead and tilt the tire...

Heavy or thick slims (ride-on) worked ALOT better than the beads. But only when the tire wasn't put away hot and then sat and cooled. Because then the slim *could* slide down and pool at the bottom. Which made your next first tire out a little "weird". Until it warmed backed up and spread back out. If your taking your tire to any one TELL them you had a slim in the tire. This way they're ready for what could be a mess. Speaking of a mess, if you ever gotten a puncture and had any slim product in it then you'll already know what kinda mess your in for as it "tries" to come flying our the hole before it can "harden". This reason alone is why I stopped using it in favor of a plug kit only.

Side note, for extreme cases. While not tires themselves are tubeless all tires are tube tires. Mean that you can put a tube in a tubeless tire that has a hole in to get to where you can fix it (been there, done that. It sucked).

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 09:34:49 PM »
i was actually a little surprised to see weights on my rear wheel / tire for balancing (Helix) as it's a splined wheel...but the front wheel, which is not splined, has no added wheel weights. Both are supposedly balanced....one day when i can ride the scoot I will be able to tell how good of a balancing job they did...hope it's sooner rather than later.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 10:50:54 PM »
i was actually a little surprised to see weights on my rear wheel / tire for balancing (Helix) as it's a splined wheel...but the front wheel, which is not splined, has no added wheel weights. Both are supposedly balanced....one day when i can ride the scoot I will be able to tell how good of a balancing job they did...hope it's sooner rather than later.
I don't recall any weights on my small 12" tire GV, Lambretta  or Riva Z. Will have to look to make sure. I don't know if being a smaller tire with less mass makes a difference. Maybe someone on the forum has a physics major?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()