Author Topic: Companies bought by Piaggio a slow death?  (Read 649 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Companies bought by Piaggio a slow death?
« on: July 07, 2021, 03:27:52 PM »
It seems companies bought by Piaggio are phased out after doing some research. I was looking at a Aprilia scooter and decided to do a little research. The only scooters Aprilia offers are rebranded Piaggio's low cost models. Aprilia and Moto Guzzi are both owned by Piaggio.  I was reading about other brands Piaggio bought and no longer in existence.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Companies bought by Piaggio a slow death?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 04:31:00 PM »
Sounds like J.D. Rockefeller: buy'em out or burn 'em down if they won't sell. Gets rid of competition either way...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 07:33:24 PM »
Piaggio seems to have a hit with the Liberty 150i.
Do they own Gilera?
When I was first looking to buy a scooter - I loved such scooters as the Gilera Runner....

And the Peugeot "SpeedFight"....

Who couldn't love a scooter with names like those two!?

Sadly - I realized I'm 12 inches too tall and 100 lbs too heavy!
These babies are built for 5'4", 130lb riders. (like when I was 8 yrs old....)

Stig

« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 11:18:39 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 07:49:44 PM »
Yes they own Gilera. , Piaggio seems to rebrand Piaggio scooters and sell them under the company's former name. They also own Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Derbi and Scarabeo and the defunct Puch
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 08:16:43 PM by Kansas kymco »

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 08:45:28 AM »
And have a real problem with Aprilia or so I read.  Two of the flagship models are eating conrods and are subject to a world-wide recall.  Sounds expensive.  Will they rebuild the engines with upgraded parts or switch the engines?  Seems no-one knows yet...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 10:49:26 AM »
And have a real problem with Aprilia or so I read.  Two of the flagship models are eating conrods and are subject to a world-wide recall.  Sounds expensive.  Will they rebuild the engines with upgraded parts or switch the engines?  Seems no-one knows yet...
That's not the only problem,  Aprilia is a shell of its former self Piaggio cannibalize the company. In North America Aprilia and Moto Guzzi are a novelty now.

I wanted a Scarabeo scooter so I did some reserch on Aprilia  and a concern about parts availability made me shy away.  I know people rag on Kymco about getting parts but I have found parts for 14 year old machines just takes a while to get them. 

Super Dirt Dud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 10:41:48 PM »
I have found my Piaggio bikes to be great bikes currently I have a 2016 BV350 with lots of upgrades done to it my 2004 Aprilia 500 scooter a 2008 Vespa 150 and I sold my 2018 Aprilia Dorsaduro. last year .
For me the bikes have been trouble free and parts were always easy to get mostly due to bike tip overs or falls , not much mechanical issues at all .
Anyway the people who have them seem to be passionate about the bikes , but I look forward to getting a AK550 when they become available the 2004 500 needs to be updated for sure .
I HAD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY will look splendid chiseled on your tombstone !

Be Careful out there
 2022 AK550
2023 People 150

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 10:44:58 PM »
I have found my Piaggio bikes to be great bikes currently I have a 2016 BV350 with lots of upgrades done to it my 2004 Aprilia 500 scooter a 2008 Vespa 150 and I sold my 2018 Aprilia Dorsaduro. last year .
For me the bikes have been trouble free and parts were always easy to get mostly due to bike tip overs or falls , not much mechanical issues at all .
Anyway the people who have them seem to be passionate about the bikes , but I look forward to getting a AK550 when they become available the 2004 500 needs to be updated for sure .
Maybe you can answer this? I read the Aprilia 500 is the same scooter mechanical as the BV 500?

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 07:46:46 PM »
Maybe you can answer this? I read the Aprilia 500 is the same scooter mechanical as the BV 500?

Aprilia made more than one 500.  I believe the scarabeo 500 is pretty much the same scooter mechanically as the BV500. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 07:53:31 PM »
It seems companies bought by Piaggio are phased out after doing some research. I was looking at a Aprilia scooter and decided to do a little research. The only scooters Aprilia offers are rebranded Piaggio's low cost models. Aprilia and Moto Guzzi are both owned by Piaggio.  I was reading about other brands Piaggio bought and no longer in existence.

Maybe the reason piaggio bought some of these companies is that they were having financial problems to begin with.  Also, don't judge these companies by how well they are doing in the USA. 

Vespa and Moto Guzzi are doing well in the USA.  Aprilia sells some high end sport bikes that are highly regarded.  Piaggio also sells some scooters here under their own name.   
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 09:41:56 PM »
Maybe the reason piaggio bought some of these companies is that they were having financial problems to begin with.  Also, don't judge these companies by how well they are doing in the USA. 

Vespa and Moto Guzzi are doing well in the USA.  Aprilia sells some high end sport bikes that are highly regarded.  Piaggio also sells some scooters here under their own name.
The only Aprilia scooters I know about currently are rebranded Piaggio's .  The article I read said sales of Aprilia motorcycles have dropped considerably  in Europe from thier pre 2001 levels.  I know Aprilia sells some very high end race machines but dealers are few and far between in my area same can be said about Moto Guzzi dealers. The closest dealer for both is KS City.

You also make a valid point if Piaggio had not bought these companies they might have disappeared.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 03:59:28 AM by Kansas kymco »

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 06:38:40 AM »
the 2004 500 needs to be updated for sure
LOL! I should think so - it's about 18 years old by now!

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »
None of the companies they've bought have been all that financially stable. Gilera, Guzzi and the like weren't doing all that well, I don't think.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Super Dirt Dud

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2021, 12:45:44 AM »

I believe they are but the style changed a bit after 2006 and the were not as round I would load a picture of mine but I do not know how to .
I HAD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY will look splendid chiseled on your tombstone !

Be Careful out there
 2022 AK550
2023 People 150

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()