Author Topic: Does your State have a "dead red" law?  (Read 519 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Does your State have a "dead red" law?
« on: July 10, 2021, 02:23:39 PM »
A stop light which won't change for your scooter. some States let you go through a red light that refuses to change for your scooter - after following certain wait times, etc.

I have to go through one every ride.
On w/e's I go through a closed muffler shop's forecourt - weekdays I pull over 100 yards from the intersection and wait for a car....then fall in behind it for my left turn.
I did that 2 days ago....fell in behind a car ....and the dumb driver pulled too far ahead of the signal loop in the pavement. It's never going to change now!
I blew my horn, 8 times - signaled her to back up. Nothing.
Waited a long time.
I changed lanes, made a right then a U ....last I looked in my mirrors she was still sitting there.

My State (ohio, section Section 4511.132) permits turns at "dead red" intersections.
However, 'my' intersection would require me to be well into the cross street to see a safe distance to my right, for my left turn....so, I don't even try to use the law to my benefit.

Only twice have I come upon a melon-head, like the above. The first time a policeman fell in behind both of us,,,and by pointing and gesturing I got him to join me in the "loop" so we could change the light.

I suppose I could call the streets dept. and see if they could change the sensitivity of that wire loop.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Does your State have a "dead red" law?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 02:44:19 PM »
In Oregon after 1 complete cycle if the light does not change in your direction you can proceed after checking for traffic. We have a couple of such intersections in Salem and I just try to avoid them.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 04:05:31 PM »
Back in my early motorcycle days the Honda 250 cc Hawk would not trip the pressure pad switches for the lights so I just went when no traffic.....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 04:38:48 PM »
Back in my early motorcycle days the Honda 250 cc Hawk would not trip the pressure pad switches for the lights so I just went when no traffic.....

I’ve encountered this problem a few times in the UK and have always proceeded with caution. Never been pulled over yet for it. Most cops here would accept the reasoning as long as you’ve done nothing dangerous.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 12:01:32 AM »
Back in my motorcycle days I fastened a strong magnet to my kickstand and flipped it down and back up at a light. Worked most of the time.
Like 150i ABS

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 03:30:14 AM »
Iowa has that in the law. But it's after a FEW cycles, like 3, then you can go on through if traffic allows. At one time I read something about 10 minutes wait but that's ridiculous.

I've also had boneheads who pull half way into the intersection and beyond the sensor loop and end up sitting there a long time with no clue why. Fortunately, and usually, that happens at lights that my Burgman 650 will trigger. There are a few where it won't trigger and those are really frustrating.

When I rode a Vulcan 750 I attached a large speaker coil magnet to the bottom of the frame on the center stand mount. Can't say it made any difference. Did the same for my wife's Metropolitan scooter. Don't know if it's even still there since that was 15 years ago when I put it on her scooter. But she hasn't mentioned any particular special issues at stoplights other than those that are less than sensitive anyway.

Sometimes I wonder if magnets at stop lights are something more like deer whistles. Some riders say they work but the scientific testing doesn't conclusively prove it does. Many older sensors need metal mass to do any sensing, not magnetic fields. And some newer sensors also have mass/weight sensing as well.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 09:35:35 AM »
I've got one light I turn left at that my bikes won't trigger.  I just go straight, pull a U turn and take a right. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 03:16:20 AM »
WA finally put one in a couple years ago.
it's for two cycles then you can go if it's safe.
I still get dirty looks from cage dwellers when I use that, but no issues with it so far.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 05:20:56 PM »
I'm an anarchist, I turn left at my pleasure
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()