Author Topic: Had to say Goodbye to my Agility 125.  (Read 501 times)

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Had to say Goodbye to my Agility 125.
« on: July 11, 2021, 11:45:58 AM »
So  I had to say goodbye to my Agility. It was kind of sad, but I gave it a proper service and handed it over as a gift to my 14 year old granddaughter in South Africa. She obviously does not have a licence yet but she loves handlebars and my son in law will find a way to take her for a ride somewhere.

We have moved to the US permanently and I currently find myself in Bondurant, IA. Simply love our new country. I hope to make a positive contribution in general, still work for a number of years, and pay taxes like a resposible citizen

I still need to get my Social Security number to buy cars for my wife and myself, as well as another scooter . I also need  to get the SS number to buy any means of transport, get US drivers licences, as well to get car and scooter insurance. Without insurace I will obviously not be able to drive or ride anything.

We are living close to our son in Bondurant and he is also a keen  motorcyclist. We are hoping to join rides and I decided to get myself a maxi scooter towards winter when prices might be lower.
I will probably go for a Honda Silverwing 400, Suzuki Burgman 400, Yamaha Majesty 400, or even a Honda Silverwing 600.

For the time beig I just need to focus on  settling properly, and try to cope without handlebars.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 11:53:09 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Had to say Goodbye to my Agility 125.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 12:08:51 PM »
Wow scooterfan, very big news from you!

Welcome to the United States!
Can't really imagine all you must be going through - after switching countries - at least you've no issues with language :)...if you sound different to the locals they'll just think you've come down from Minnesota.

Again, welcome! ...and we will be interested in what scooter you end up with.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 01:23:06 PM »
Yes, welcome to the USA! We are enriched by your presence! Love to hear why you left  in past years.

Please keep us informed of your progress.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 01:27:00 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 01:47:21 PM »
Welcome to the USA!!

Good luck finding a maxi scooter.  BTW, Honda never sold the Silverwing 400 here.  I would consider adding the Yamaha Xmax to your list.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 01:57:19 PM »
As Stig says BIG news Scooterfan and you sure kept quiet about that! Best of luck settling into your new home and I hope you’re mobile again before too long.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 03:04:45 PM »
scooterfan - welcome to The Hawkeye State! I'm about 100 miles to the east of you in the Iowa City area. I had a friend who lived in Bondurant for many years, only recently moving a few miles to the east out in the country. He enjoyed it there. it has really grown in the last 15 - 20 years.

Hope you're back on 2 wheels again, sooner than later. Happy to help if you have questions about Iowa or Iowans in general! I've been one for 54 years.

IAHawk
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 02:43:31 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the welcomes and kind words - I really appreciate.
I actually passed a couple of comments a bit earlier but it seem to have disappeared.

Crossbolt I will try to explain later again.

Iahawk I am really happy to find myself here. All people are very friendly and helpful. Hopefully we will be able to cope with the cold winters - otherwise I can't think about any reason why we will move elsewhere again.

Again, thanks for the welcomes.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 09:48:18 AM »
Enjoy your new country and hope you settle in OK :)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 12:41:48 PM »
Just read some news about the turmoil present in SA which may go deeper than a corrupt top official.....good reason to bail.

Have met many SA skydivers over the years when I was in that business. A most delightful lot in my experience.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 03:06:05 PM »
Welcome scooterfan to this side of the pond!  ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 03:38:32 PM »
Just read some news about the turmoil present in SA which may go deeper than a corrupt top official.....good reason to bail.

Too right Karl.  I've just been listening to the news from SA and my first thought was "I'm not surprised that Scooterfan decided to quit while he was ahead!"

Scooterfan, the USofA may have its issues, but I suspect you'll be far more welcome, not to say safer, in Iowa!  Keep us up to speed with all your adventures eh?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 12:23:46 AM »
Thanks Viper254, big blue, Neil955i,

Yes South Africa is in total shambles at the moment and the vide clips that I’m getting is absolutely shocking. Thank God I left just in time. Some towns have been destroyed completely, shops have been looted and destroyed, and several people I know are running out of food and medication.
I have no idea how South Africa will be able to recover from this. Ordinary citizens started standing together to protect themselves in many areas. The South African police and Defence force are not able to control the situation properly in all areas.
Facebook is currently blocking many videos regarding this destruction, and even the South African news media does not cover everything that’s going on.

Again, I am very thankful to be here.  I am more than convinced that our lives can only turn out for the better.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 01:59:03 PM »
Statement of opinion on this SA and USA situation by this member voluntarily withheld....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 11:00:43 AM »
Statement of opinion on this SA and USA situation by this member voluntarily withheld....

Unusually circumspect for you Karl!  ;)  Probably for the best or the Admin would have to swoop in.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()